Server Status Listings

smoochy boys on tour

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I actually think that this is going to do more harm than good to the Mir community. It makes it look like there is even less in the community.

Skibadee

That Vial skibadee lolol
Banned
Mar 24, 2003
I actually think that this is going to do more harm than good to the Mir community. It makes it look like there is even less in the community.

But a fiver a month really isn't alot of money , people are just being greedy not paying it lol

Reactions: XloverBoy7X

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
But a fiver a month really isn't alot of money , people are just being greedy not paying it lol
I don't think its about greed. I wouldn't call holding back a fiver greedy. I think it is more to do with the justification of paying a fiver.
I know its about supporting the community more than anything. But some people will be thinking that they gain now advantage in paying to display a number. Especially if its a low number. Some servers with a low count might benefit more by not paying and displaying.
I am trying to see it from a different perspective based on the low turnout.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: XloverBoy7X and Tai

Skibadee

That Vial skibadee lolol
Banned
Mar 24, 2003
Surely you would want to support this forum/community....

Even the low count servers get donations, ive played low count servers and chucked a bit of money their way, so i cant comprehend why u wouldnt put back into the community

Each to their own though i guess?

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
Surely you would want to support this forum/community....

Even the low count servers get donations, ive played low count servers and chucked a bit of money their way, so i cant comprehend why u wouldnt put back into the community

Each to their own though i guess?

There are other ways to support the community, I guess some won't pay due to already running at a loss, not making anything or as you say, greedy.

Reactions: ventus

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
There are other ways to support the community, I guess some won't pay due to already running at a loss, not making anything or as you say, greedy.

Explain this to some one whos running a cash cow 🤭

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I get where you are coming from @Violent in a sense, but I suppose people who are browsing and see the servers on the list at the top, will see these as servers to look at.

Personally I would've been more brutal and just had you pay to be on the homepage server listing (you would still be on it if you clicked the list to show all servers); to me the amount of time I invest in a server's development I am already operating at a huge loss, and always will, so an extra £5 a month on top of that is relatively small.

The problem being is majority of people don't donate to LOMCN because there is no incentive (look at how long it took to hit LOMCN's donation target).
So things like email shots, banners and server listings are the way to give back to LOMCN; I don't mind paying for things as I waste more money on food a month and it just comes out of that budget, not only giving back to LOMCN but also; helping me not devour my bodyweight in food.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I don't think its about greed. I wouldn't call holding back a fiver greedy. I think it is more to do with the justification of paying a fiver.
I know its about supporting the community more than anything. But some people will be thinking that they gain now advantage in paying to display a number. Especially if its a low number. Some servers with a low count might benefit more by not paying and displaying.
I am trying to see it from a different perspective based on the low turnout.

The justification of paying a fiver? Compared to what they make from our free files and open sources? Looooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Skibadee

That Vial skibadee lolol
Banned
Mar 24, 2003
Explain this to some one whos running a cash cow 🤭

Cash cow u say?

Yet i've paid my fiver, bought banners, and donated a fiver, going to also be putting 20£ into lomcn to buy more banner space v soon.

Your cheap arse hasnt even bought a banner, nor paid the fiver for his usercount to be listed. You just take take take from these forums, without putting one thing back, even darkside server paid its fiver!

PS : Just donated another 8£ to lomcn :D Just coz i can zed

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: XloverBoy7X

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Cash cow u say?

Yet i've paid my fiver, bought banners, and donated a fiver, going to also be putting 20£ into lomcn to buy more banner space v soon.

Your cheap arse hasnt even bought a banner, nor paid the fiver for his usercount to be listed. You just take take take from these forums, without putting one thing back, even darkside server paid its fiver!

PS : Just donated another 8£ to lomcn :D Just coz i can zed

It was a trap, he was fishing and you took the bait!

BoomBoom

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 16, 2013
This is fine for servers that take donations but what about servers that sell nothing? The operators already pay to host the files now they need to pay to show their usercount? Doesn't seem fair to me.

KingCobra92

Untrusted Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 9, 2015
The term cash cow does not apply when a server has more users , better content , better updates , runs smoothly and isn’t ran by a 14 year old in his mums bedroom

It just means his server is better than yours

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
This is fine for servers that take donations but what about servers that sell nothing? The operators already pay to host the files now they need to pay to show their usercount? Doesn't seem fair to me.
Such as...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Skibadee

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004

The point would be valid, if a server existed that didn't have a Game Shop lol. Not point bringing up something that has no relevance.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
The justification of paying a fiver? Compared to what they make from our free files and open sources? Looooooooooooooooooooooooool.
Not the justification of paying a fiver. The cost is irrelivant. Its more of the justification of showing their user count. If they had any inclide of supporting LOMCN they would have already done so already via the donation system.

astrix

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
I mean am for the idea of having to donate for your user count showing. your gaining word of mouth ect. rather than having 0 platform for people to look at your server at all. But on that note obvious benefits the higher user count server`s were as some one below 5-10 users would see little reward but your still showcasing your server again rather than no one seeing it. so seems win win

StormHero

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 19, 2015
Not the justification of paying a fiver. The cost is irrelivant. Its more of the justification of showing their user count. If they had any inclide of supporting LOMCN they would have already done so already via the donation system.
Nothing in this world is free, if you want that bit extra you have to pay. I don't see no issue with it, when you look back through posts like whys my server showing ? in the past, they was interested in their UC showing then, so why not now?
I do get where people are coming from about low UC, but whats LOMCN supposed to do, start charging once you get over 20 users? This could cut down some fake usercounts, if any was to come about i suppose, but i don't feel is justifies not paying, if they just want to advertise, nothing stopping them using a signature showing their UC and posting a fair few times a day on LOMCN.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Nobodies stopping people from displaying their user count in their signatures I don’t think..

You can even embed it in your threads/posts.

Not sure if it could be classed as a loophole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Nobodies stopping people from displaying their user count in their signatures I don’t think..

You can even embed it in your threads/posts.

Not sure if it could be classed as a loophole?

If they want to code their own signatures yes. But if you mean the ones we provide then no, it's all linked to the same dB

For servers that have ultra low usercounts then having a ? displayed instead is probably preferable anyway.

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
If they want to code their own signatures yes. But if you mean the ones we provide then no, it's all linked to the same dB

For servers that have ultra low usercounts then having a ? displayed instead is probably preferable anyway.

Thanks for clarifying :)