Loading an App instead of Windows

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
Hi Guys,

Just a little question to the developers or geeks out there i was wondering is it possible when booting a pc up to load directly the app without going via the windows motions. The reason i ask is because having developed a Epos Solution for a till system i don't want the user to have a amatuer experience, when i look at other epos systems you turn the terminal on and it loads directly the application.

Looking for any advice or wisdom that people may be aware of.

Kind regards
DVS

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Yes you can, as I have done it (albeit awhile ago) I can pull up some information for you when I have time if others don't supply it before hand!

Is it a standalone machine or across a domain network? (just because there are different ways to do it depending on the environment)

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Yes I did this when doing a touchscreen kiosk project for a job. Create a batch file to run the program, kill explorer and whatever else you need and place it in the Startup folder

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
so when i press the power button i wont see the windows logo right?
The batch file in the startup folder doesn't run until the OS has loaded up so you will still see the windows logo.

I think you may need some 3rd party software to change the image of the windows load screen. You can point it to a black image or something and that should be a workaround for you.

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
The batch file in the startup folder doesn't run until the OS has loaded up so you will still see the windows logo.

I think you may need some 3rd party software to change the image of the windows load screen. You can point it to a black image or something and that should be a workaround for you.
Any recomendations with this?

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
It's surprisingly easy in Win 10 Pro/Ent. Open Programs list > Turn Windows Features on or off

Expand Device Lockdown, tick Unbranded Boot, OK

Run cmd as admin, type:

bcdedit.exe -set {globalsettings} bootuxdisabled on

Done!

Reactions: StormHero

XxEvilDxX

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Apr 10, 2010
USA
Hi Guys,

Just a little question to the developers or geeks out there i was wondering is it possible when booting a pc up to load directly the app without going via the windows motions. The reason i ask is because having developed a Epos Solution for a till system i don't want the user to have a amatuer experience, when i look at other epos systems you turn the terminal on and it loads directly the application.

Looking for any advice or wisdom that people may be aware of.

Kind regards
DVS
You should be able to do this all from the registry without loading the explorer shell at all.
awww here you go

You could also give spring boot a try.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
if it's for a business, I'd go that one little step further an just change the windows boot logo to there business logo ;)

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
if it's for a business, I'd go that one little step further an just change the windows boot logo to there business logo ;)
It is my only worry is and it will coem with testing do you still see the fluffy fields login page or does it skip that and go straight to the app, after windows logo.