Request Gaming Laptop?

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Been doing abit of research only minor and am already shocked at the exhaust noise from alienwares latest. (I never knew they be so loud but obviously necessary to keep it cool)

I am not overly fussed on cost aslong as it’s between £500 and £1500.

Any recommendations for the best performance I can get? Noise ignored unless ppl know ones that are quieter.

So far I have researched

• Alienware M15 R3 (Normally more £ but deals on bringing it down to £1399 for a basic spec one)

D45FAD3B-59F6-493C-A0F1-7C8441AF7C57.jpeg

I’ve heard brand ASUS is crap?

Razor?

Are Alienware good? Never had one...never had a laptop either can I play Mir on it comfortably and file transfer at speed?

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Alienware is pretty good. You can also check the Dell gaming laptops (I have a Dell 7577 and I'm pretty happy with it).

Asus is not crap. They had some low quality laptops, yes, but overall their Republic of Gamers laptops are good.

Razer, not Razor, are also good.

But keep in mind laptop always end up having some cooling issues that will end up throttling the CPU. I disabled Turbo Boost on my i7 7700HQ and now my temps are OK and it didn't impact performance that much, except when I'm doing some CPU intensive stuff like compressing something. Things like that that a big longer.

What kind of transfer speeds? From one disk to another? To external devices? Over the internet?

Check this. The first laptop has a Nvidia 2060 and you get £202 off with CYBER15.

A5kDxja.png

This one is even better and also cheaper than the Alienware.

Fp4N9FL.png

Last edited:

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Plz tell me you're not buying a gaming laptop for mir though 😂

Gaming laptops are pretty good for mir if you want to do other stuff on the background. Way better specs than thin laptops, better performance, better cooling, etc.

I bought one and I don't even play anything "heavy".

mistodon

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 16, 2003
I have a gaming laptop and mir runs on the on board graphics card. My 1080ti isn't used at all. Bought it 2 years ago to get back into wow. Never bothered so it sat idle till I found mir again after a 10 year break a few months ago. Mir isn't exactly a top off rhe range 3d game so pretty much any pc, laptop will run it no problems. So I wouldn't go spending 1500 on a laptop for mir. Spend 500 on a desktop which will run it perfectly well.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
any reason for wanting a laptop over desktop?

Purely as @Tai said to use in bed and out the house. Desktop is still in the house. Just always wanted one but never got round to looking into it.

Thanks @Alecs when I get in I’m gonna investigate these further 👍🏻

.....I’d be lying if I said it was for other games, il be playing/GMing Mir on it. Will I play other games on it? Probably yes.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Depends what you want it for; and your budget.

If you are wanting it to play the latest games in high GFX you will want something substantial with it packing a decent GFX card (but in laptops you'll find that it can get warm so using a 'fan mat' isn't a bad shout)

Alienware are over-priced for what you get inside it.

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Depends what you want it for; and your budget.

If you are wanting it to play the latest games in high GFX you will want something substantial with it packing a decent GFX card (but in laptops you'll find that it can get warm so using a 'fan mat' isn't a bad shout)

Alienware are over-priced for what you get inside it.

Alienware are over-priced like anything with the "gamer" tag. You can buy a gaming chair for 400€ or the same chair without the logo for 300€. But cool kids have gaming things. The more LEDs it has, the bigger is your dick.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Alienware are over-priced like anything with the "gamer" tag. You can buy a gaming chair for 400€ or the same chair without the logo for 300€. But cool kids have gaming things. The more LEDs it has, the bigger is your dick.

Does the LED thing stem over to Christmas lights? if so, I am huuuung

Hwarang

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Mar 19, 2018
Tunbridge wells
All i will say is please don't buy an MSI Laptop i bought a GP72MVR 18 months ago and it was the worst purchase i ever made, in that 18 months it has developed many many issues.

1) Keys on the Steelseries keyboard work intermittently.

2) The Laptop gets so hot it caused inflamed veins on my sons leg (he no longer uses it).

3) all the USB's disconnect at the slightest knock of the wire as they are so loose sometimes often just from tilting the laptop.

4) The screen is failing it has about a 1cm thick line of dead pixels spanning the width of the bottom of the screen covering the taskbar. which has just got thicker over time one line of pixels at a time.

5) The battery last now last about 20 mins internet browsing from 100% to 0%.

6) Cant even play World of Warcraft on low settings without all sorts of lag and general issues and the whole laptop gets so hot that it shuts itself down after around 40 mins.

7) You have to run the GPU and CPU fans on 100% at all times or it overheats much much quicker and the whine from the fans is insane ;P

All in all just shocking and MSI's customer service is a joke the keyboard started to fail (which was the first issue)10 days out of its 12 month warranty and they basically told me that's ok u can pay us to fix it.

Please save yourself the stress and get something other than MSI. =)

Last edited:

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Ok well after numerous unbiased reviews on YouTube and some PM feedback here I’ve narrowed it down to 3...

1. The kid in me choice (impulse buy)
2. The balanced well constructed buy
3. The best under 1k I could find for performance

1. £3000 (it’s like pre ordering the latest iPhone pro even though u could go android and do just as much)
9020FEEA-9DCD-4CD2-9873-AAB63C69947E.jpeg

2. £2000 (In some cases ie Ram your getting all the ticks for the games your play for £1000 cheaper)
3D53F1DF-685F-4604-8FE5-BC405B001BCE.jpeg

3. £800 (My head tells me this is what I should get, the combination of Amd/Amd gives an excellent performance ppl are saying for its price)
D1D8D12D-0A53-4ECC-B6A0-561DBF2BB84C.jpeg

Hwarang

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Mar 19, 2018
Tunbridge wells
If you are using it in bed make sure that you buy one with the heat exhaust ports are on the side and back not the bottom if it is on the bed or on your lap when you are under the covers u end up blocking the heat exhaust and they overheat quickly.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
if i was to sell my pc, I'd buy a dell XPS 15

I see that one but it literally game me the options of a 1650 ti card or internal graphics so I never gave it a 2nd look as it was still 2k+

Ive seen a fair few reviews on them all now and if I was to buy one it would be the Alien Area51. Just don’t know if I’m willing to spend that much when once the ps5 is back in shops I could dabble with that for £360 as opposed to 2.5k.

Stuck in 2 minds for sure

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
grab a second hand one on ebay,

what games do you actual play?

never pay 2.5k for a laptop. you could make an unreal desktop for that haha,

Does steam still do that thing still where it will stream games from your main PC to your laptop or something?

don't do it, make your PC better, and enjoy that ;)

if you want something techy for the bed get a tablet, its good to get off the PC, laptop would just be constant, prob why I haven't grabbed one yet, keep saying I want one.. lol

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
grab a second hand one on ebay,

what games do you actual play?

never pay 2.5k for a laptop. you could make an unreal desktop for that haha,

Does steam still do that thing still where it will stream games from your main PC to your laptop or something?

don't do it, make your PC better, and enjoy that ;)

if you want something techy for the bed get a tablet, its good to get off the PC, laptop would just be constant, prob why I haven't grabbed one yet, keep saying I want one.. lol

Haha yep I’m the same it’s always been there niggling away that I should get one. I’ve tried the Alienware out now and I can’t deal with the noise for that price it’s ridiculous even browsing the web u can hear it...so looks like I’m gonna spend the next week researching custom build desktops instead 😆

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Haha yep I’m the same it’s always been there niggling away that I should get one. I’ve tried the Alienware out now and I can’t deal with the noise for that price it’s ridiculous even browsing the web u can hear it...so looks like I’m gonna spend the next week researching custom build desktops instead 😆
Build your own grab the parts, I’m only a message away if you get stuck 😉

Reactions: Hercules

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Grabbed one of these to replace my PC, as I need the mobility atm - https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/msi-gs66-stealth

Ended up getting it for around 1300 from LaptopsDirect, i9 10750h, gtx 2060, 16gb ram, thunderbolt port, 240hz screen (useless unless you use it for something like CSGO where you will get 300+ fps)

Only downside imo, I had to undervolt it to avoid issues like the guy who mentions MSI above, although after doing this I have ZERO complaints and it's the best laptop I've used, I prefer it to my PC now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hercules