Server for casuals

smoochy boys on tour

marcmulhern3

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 14, 2009
Hello all,

I check the forum very often incase something peaks my interest but really I think I look for nostalgic reasons.

This leads me to wonder why has no one created a euro clone where you start at a level 44ish? (This was the average level of the euro players when it closed)
Do not change the exp or lvling speed etc

players start with the usual starter gear etc.

Mir will always struggle to pull new players instead you will need to target casual players who cannot donate the time we used to.

Most ex mir players are a lot older now and cannot commit the time to actually compete with the other (max 200?) users that actually have time to put into mir.

if you used this logic there would obviously be no need for the low level caves in the game instead you could tweak the stats of these old caves to make them worth going into.
(Bone cave/bug cave/ st and so on)

if this has already been tried please point me in the direction!

also only 3 classes and stop with the large shiny items that glow.... that ain’t mir :p

Reactions: Hercules

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Artificial is a semi clone of USA, but I get what you mean, I’m the same mate I get more nostalgic excitement for the memory of gearing up and slaying that first BoneElite.

I heard someone was making a Euro clone in C++ not sure the progress on it tho as I lost touch with them.

Odysee offers a Medium rate of experience with some Euro maps and nostalgia and a really good XP catch up mechanic (5% approx per level behind Exp buff) ... so starting more than 20 odd levels behind top dogs you are on a perma 100%+ buff.

That one is in Beta and will probably be the next Mir2 release

Belle

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
May 25, 2019
Boring and don’t last, your example says it all bone elite fs.

marcmulhern3

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 14, 2009
I’m sure if euro was still around many would still be playing... but I could be wrong like you say could just be boring?

why do people still play mir?

what has been the most successful private server? Not financially.
User count and longevity

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Boring and don’t last, your example says it all bone elite fs.
Entitled to like what I like and also entitled to my opinion, if you don’t agree that’s absolutely fine but ppl like and enjoy things kept simple sometimes.

You can also over tune a Mir to the point it’s not even Mir anymore where you could just play a much bigger better game that’s already out there.

Are you saying this person is not aloud to like a basic Euro clone? Or anyone? What if Usercount doesn’t matter?

Reactions: marcmulhern3

marcmulhern3

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 14, 2009
This is what I’m getting at, surely a simple server can’t cost too much to host and maintain.

get rid of the game shop that is not Mir at all! If players like flashy armour etc keep that as a local skin not a public/for other users to see.

I watched a video of people killing EM - every 2mins they died and bought a revival scroll..... how is that fun or exciting?

Tonight I have a spare hour I would love to jump on mir have a couple or pk runs or boss runs in bdd, instead I won’t bother logging in to kill hens and deers- I’m sure I’m not alone in this thinking.

If had to pay a fiver for 7 days access I would do that every so often. As long as it was a level playing field and not pay to win or time drain to be relevant.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
This is what I’m getting at, surely a simple server can’t cost too much to host and maintain.

get rid of the game shop that is not Mir at all! If players like flashy armour etc keep that as a local skin not a public/for other users to see.

I watched a video of people killing EM - every 2mins they died and bought a revival scroll..... how is that fun or exciting?

Tonight I have a spare hour I would love to jump on mir have a couple or pk runs or boss runs in bdd, instead I won’t bother logging in to kill hens and deers- I’m sure I’m not alone in this thinking.

If had to pay a fiver for 7 days access I would do that every so often. As long as it was a level playing field and not pay to win or time drain to be relevant.
Tbh if you really fancied the itch you could follow the guide on here and within an evening you could have your own server and client to log on to yourself locally. Could level yourself to 40 and kit yourself up, increase the BDD mobs stats and have a blast whenever you fancied it.

Running it locally on your own PC costs £0

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
There's loads of servers out at the mo, Even more that the community have in the works as well.
The cost of running a server really does depend on;

Decent host with fast internet.
Host with decent hardware to allocate.
Advertisement (Optional)
Developers (Unless you can code yourself)

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
To put it in perspective if you can’t do much high tech coding like myself I have spent over 1k on code and dedis to run my servers and get my source to where it is today. (And that’s knowing very helpful ppl in the community).

(Still learning and growing all the time, I just can’t handle the toxic side of it but that doesn’t mean I don’t continue the hobby I really enjoy. Still have an active server that’s only open to myself and the select few I know.)

@marcmulhern3 your idea of a server appeals to me and maybe a select 10-50 UC but bigger numbers these days you have to appeal to ppl that want things fast, lots of custom new content from the off and an opportunity for many to earn money through your server selling levels, gold and items.

deano13

StopMeFast
Golden Oldie
Oct 31, 2004
London, England
Yo MM3 long time no speak bud, Odyssey is the next big thing mate, fairly lowish rate and 3 classes, can download the open beta and give it ago before live to get the feel of it 👍🏻 it’s got some pretty cool features for casuals etc

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Aye Closed Beta is Done
Open Beta is well underway (would say other than PvP balance, we are close to 'finishing')

We've added a great catchup mechanic for casual players (Catchup EXP buff, for every level you are behind the highest level, you get a 5% exp buff) so people who can only play a few hours, benefit from the people who want to absolutely blitz levels.

There is a ton of stuff to do, so give it a try in Open, and give us your feedback as we can always improve!

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Aye Closed Beta is Done
Open Beta is well underway (would say other than PvP balance, we are close to 'finishing')

We've added a great catchup mechanic for casual players (Catchup EXP buff, for every level you are behind the highest level, you get a 5% exp buff) so people who can only play a few hours, benefit from the people who want to absolutely blitz levels.

There is a ton of stuff to do, so give it a try in Open, and give us your feedback as we can always improve!

So finally is it Low or Medium EXP Rate?

I always seen Low or High rates but i dont know how a Medium rate would pan out.

Xx69xX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 2, 2005
Nostalgia is what keeps us all here, but as soon as we play for 10 hours on a serious low rate, and realize how much gaming has evolved, we would be pretty bored. People like low rates, but euro clones have been done 100 times, at least, and they don't last because like many of you have said, you tinker, do some luring some pk, some bone elites and then that's it, bored. What drives gaming is competition, and in todays era also progression. Euro is too slow for most people in todays situations. People want to not fall behind and euro is the worst for it. No caps or limits, the casuals have no chance.

While the idea is perfect. Nostalgia is nostalgia, as soon as it truly returns, it is not longer that.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
So finally is it Low or Medium EXP Rate?

I always seen Low or High rates but i dont know how a Medium rate would pan out.

It is closer to a med rate then low; I want to give people the mir feeling but also be able to progress to both old 'nostalgic' content and new areas.

You aren't going to have to grind forever for levels (especially the lower ones), and the hardcore players will naturally help the casuals who dont have the time to spend on the game like they used to, coming on with a huge extra exp buff, because a few people have hammered the server is a win!

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
Reason why no one does what you said is simple... it wouldn't attract most people meaning it would have a low usercount which then puts off anyone playing.

Oldskool is pretty casual in terms of you can play an hour a day / every other day and you progress and keep up with everyone else, all the try hard/hardcore people have left. But because of that, the server will never return to the days where it was 400 users.

Players love that starting thrill of a new server, even if the server is massively ****, they'll still play it for that initial rush and competitive race

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Reason why no one does what you said is simple... it wouldn't attract most people meaning it would have a low usercount which then puts off anyone playing.

Oldskool is pretty casual in terms of you can play an hour a day / every other day and you progress and keep up with everyone else, all the try hard/hardcore people have left. But because of that, the server will never return to the days where it was 400 users.

Players love that starting thrill of a new server, even if the server is massively ****, they'll still play it for that initial rush and competitive race
100%, and that's why you get people hopping from 1 server to the next after launch.

The big thing from server owners (imo) is making sure that when the initial hype settles the older server entices them back in by staying up to date, adding new stuff in etc; one of the decent things in TPR we managed to bring a UC from 15-20 back up to 70+, which all things considered wasn't easy!

on a side note I do like HR servers for the progress feeling, you log on an hour n feel like you always get summit done (not just like 1% of level 44)

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
Ye but then you get to the point where doesn't matter how much you do, how awesome you make it (perhaps even better than launch) people simply want play it because its not "new" and they think they can't catch up (even if they can)

Just the way it is unfortunately

marcmulhern3

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 14, 2009
This is what I would suggest make it low rate but where u start of at a level where you are instantly part of the competition, not having to level skills etc. ( or even forget lvling all together
I always felt mir started to lose its appeal as soon as stats became stupid and spells like FF became the only skills a wizard would use because it was easy to achieve luck 5+ and rms were being made with stupid MC (even though I had plenty of fun with you doing this Ben :P)

from what I’m reading no one has tried to make a server that is purely made for a level playing field where players/ boss fights are the aim - but in the same way people are saying it won’t work?

I will take a look at hosting a server ( i have storage/ resources spare at work).

For a simple mir server what files would you suggest should be used? Would only look to use 3 classes and skills before poison cloud!

I’m sure it will not work like many have said but I know a few people who would be willing to play a server that is actually built for the adhoc and arranged timings of things to do instead of wasting time fishing/mining/crafting/levelling.