Euro Mir History

Colin

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 30, 2013
When was Mir launched in UK? What was the beta date and when did it become pay to play subscription? No one seems sure and some ppl are saying before 2000. The piece you have in announcements says it was very [popular in china and korea in 2002 but no details about Euro Mir.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
MIR2 was launched on 19th September 2001 by Game Network, (an Italian company)
The monthly subscription model was from release.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Not sure how long BETA was on for before this date.

I started playing early September. I remember this because we went on holiday to Disney Land Florida a few days after I started.
We was in Florida during 9/11. It it basically the only reason I know what date I started playing the game!

When we came home, a couple of days later it became pay to play. I was only 14 so had to pursuade my Mum to play the game so she paid for our shared account!

• Wow
Reactions: Tai and Sanjian

AlyGinTheHouse

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 3, 2014
What i know is DragonServer and that was in 1998 or 1999 and yea was with 14$/mouth so i remember.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013

Dragon was in beta since April 2001 I think, then probably still in spring went live and because it filled up fast during the summer (I think several hundred pple? like 300 or 400?), GN opened a second, Phoenix server early in September 2001

I believe I joined Phoenix on September 14 2001, maybe in its first week, after I heard about it on another online game Red Moon, also Korean game, my first ever online game (RM was too fast paced game for my taste and mir I was told was more like an RPG where you could doodle if that was your way.

RM was always like standing on your tip toes when you left SZ and if you died by PK or mobs, you totally dropped everything and spawned naked in SZ and had to make naked run to the nearest bank storage or directly to the place where you went down if your stuff was still there, was too harsh, give me mir any day LOL.

Not sure if mir was free to play till level 7 (later maybe raised to lev20?) and if that was when GN started with mir2 in 2001 or if it was later when it was hosted in US, can't recall the name of the co. now

Last edited:

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I was too young to play back then but my brothers were playing Dragon server well back in 2001.

Char names:

DJTiesto
Arpo
Koopa

Slayer1985

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 20, 2014
2002 seeing gambit wearing level 22 heavy armour on a wiz blew people minds.. dawolf sexy8838 firerose, homersimpson, paulhp1 (first level 40), bullpitt, asheroth.

first guilds inner circle, outer cirle, DSS was originally level 35 with dc 5-35 2003 i think they put in most of bug cave and EC before then w2 was a deep as u could go. ST and ZT were high level end game caves. i quit shortly after prajna and spider patches came in, used to see 2500 online and bichon and muddwall was popping 24/7.............

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
It was in BETA for at least a small period before September 2001 judging by how I remember being at least Lv.11 (Light Armour), and having zero ability to subscribe to something at that age in that time and proceeded to beg my Dad to buy it as an early Christmas present lol. I logged into the game to come face with that bunch of red text about needing a subscription service post Level 7.

Not quite remembering how hard it was to level back then, Lv.11 probably took at least a while considering I was still at school and couldn't play all day at the expense of the cost of 56k connections.

So I would say it was in beta for at least 3-6 months, as I was told about the game through hearsay and sky news channels. I'm sure that would have been some time to get round to me, plus the time to level a little bit and learn the game.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
yeah 2001 sounds right, i remember being in year 5 at school and playing it, when i was 10....

**** me, been playing this game for 20 years. I've been a member on these forums for 16 years as-well....wow.

Slayer1985

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 20, 2014
used to have 24-36 hour ques for EC think it spawned every 6 or 9 hours? looking back euro dragon must of been quite peaceful as so many guild were happy to rotate on EC, didnt happen in many other dundeons tho was pvp fest at st 7th and zt
Post automatically merged:

do people remember the orignal forums where u had to have 1k posts for an avatar? people would spend som much time on ciggys too lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Netskee

Reverance

Final Heaven
Supporter
Veteran
May 25, 2013
Scotland
I believe the first adverts for the game start appearing around June/July of 2001 on Game Network.
This was prior to the show starting, Can't remember if the beta was tied into these ads or not though.

Hakmed

Banned
Banned
May 10, 2021
In 2006 the layout and opening were changed

You could have 3 characters on your account

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
I was too young to play back then but my brothers were playing Dragon server well back in 2001.

Char names:

DJTiesto
Arpo
Koopa

I remember DJ

Used to loiter around with that lot with Lattina, Breezer, DarkOdin, Godfather, Gatecrasher, Slaughtess, GoGoShelly, joe91

Reactions: Jev

Hakmed

Banned
Banned
May 10, 2021
I was hanging out with anyone I could in Prajna Island

That was the place of fighting, banter and of course kos

Last edited:

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I recall like seeing it today, I was ~17 or 19 warrior in WW, watching in that settlement there how wiz of lower level could snag OW behind the wall there that made an angle and kill it while I was only just about able to solo it and they boasted about killing it for some time at even lower levels when I had no hope soloing it

how prophetic that was for the future, holds in principle to this day

another recall, while running about WW in the lower parts, I found PAxe just laying on ground and I put it in storage for when I get level for it, then in something like couple months I was able to equip it and started getting suspicious pms from somebody asking where I got it...

I gathered it got dropped there in PK and after some arguing, I kept it in the end but was unpleasant for sure since I was not one of those thick skinned folks with the mantra of those days 'what is on floor belongs to who picked it up, period'
it just goes to show what the situation was in those days, all PAxes on the server were known about

also a bit later in mines I came across a body drop with GA in it. I was level for it to equip and leveled on zombies for some ten fifteen minutes with it, then this warrior showed up asking if I had seen a drop with GAxe in it and I returned the axe and refused some payment for returning it, the guy was lucky because very likely the drop vanished by the time he got back

for me that was like giving up a lottery win, if I remember it right, I never got GA but there was that infamous Easter hen event in which I got two jmaces along with two paras, so I went from PA to JM and I think I never got GA in drop despite harvesting ETs or from other higher subs, bosses

Reactions: Martyn

Hakmed

Banned
Banned
May 10, 2021
I was remembering DeathWalker18 and Snafu116

I made Deathwalker red while he was fighting on the Island

I hope anyone in nooby guild Retribution remembers me

Last edited: