Release Xiyue MapEditor - Akaras' mod updated by M2P

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland
love to see it. Can be a pain if you want to edit it again once its done.

View attachment 25935
Post automatically merged:

Always start with a plan, Mine always start with ms paint just to picture the general shape.
Wow that is really good, this for me is the hard part if its not perfect i cant move on and end up messing around same area for hours just to try blend it right. may i ask how you got it like that when i do it its very much so a line showing in the map its so noticeable.

I was also wondering if i am missing objects as i dont see thing object on the list along with some others.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Always start with a plan, Mine always start with ms paint just to picture the general shape.

That shoreline #1 is made by brushing SMTiles, right? And is that just one brush or maybe two or more just for that shoreline?

I did some mir2 shorelines by a simple cut and paste method from the existing shoreline (doable because they are image strips) but on shanda maps that is not an option, given that the shoreline is made up of thousands of single tiles, obviously must be brushed. I remember how some two yrs ago you teased pple with blends (I think Chalace) and I was puzzled how you guys can make these shanda shorelines.
1627497835177.png

Area #2 may be one brush or perhaps 2&2B are one brush. Darker area #3 again might be its own brush, also that sprinkling of light flowers to the left of #3 is likely a brush too?

Last edited:

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
The coast is from back tiles saved into an object, so its built up just like any wall type object.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Nice, just came back here after few hours of work elsewhere and here's fresh reply 👀

I was thinking of this type of shore which is made up of single SmTiles on middle layer. I haven't worked with such a coast yet, only the wemade one which is made of image strips. I saw the maps sometimes posted here that were obviously shanda type and was wondering what magic was used to make those coastlines (obviously you can't piece them together tile by tile).
I was imagining that there must be a brush for this but of course there is no such thing...

1627513997187.png

Wemade mir2 maps with shorelines made of image strips take some hit and miss tries to join sections if you are making new coastline shape. By new, I mean overall different coastline shape made up from segments of the original coast.

I've just tried and it can be done with this coast type too (copy/paste) but maybe would need to try harder to eliminate visible seams, not sure if it is harder or easier than when the coastline is made up from those image strips (ie, not from single tiles 48x32 as in this picture here but 48x(y>>32), that is by tall strips..

Last edited:

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I need some helping hand or some guidance. Akaras left the code to make BigMap in & just commented it out. I would like to make it work again but not to make BigMaps, the idea is to generate much bigger images, like those I made for Jev's map collection recently.

The idea is to use this code to generate images so big that even those house interiors would come out in full screen size, not the postage stamp size that minimap function currently makes them. Really any map less than 300x300 is useless to look at in minimap size.

Making house interiors images large as typical screen view would result in huge images for bigger maps but it is easy to run a batch resizing on them outside the map editor.

This way we could easily generate images of maps without cut off edges and all full screen size. I have 27" monitor @2560x1440 resolution which is probably standard these days. The images could be even bigger than this since any image viewing program can be set to reduce or fit image size to viewing window.
I can post code but thought to start with just a screenshot of the section. I collapsed some parts of the code.

I removed comment markups from that BigMap code that Akaras put in and got some warnings as you see the red underlines. I didn't even run a compile since it definitely needs some attention from someone who has at least some notion what to do.

For starters, hints at the mouse cursor say that the name BigMap is 'missing assembly reference'.
MiniMap got flagged because 'it is already defined in this scope' (probably in the code just above for the MiniMap and this line could be disposed of?).
The rest of the red underlines say 'the name doesn't exist in the current context'.

For the BigMap, I would try to make it into 'public void createBigMap()' but that is just monkeying with it without really understanding what one is doing. Also, the rest of underlines need more insight.

1627602287208.png

Compile returns these errors. Can ignore the first two about 'blend', those have always been in and are only warnings.
1627608671364.png

Last edited:

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland
I was wondering if i can edit a image and save it as an object?

at the moment the images i looking for dont have fence going in line side to side or up and down i only have the attached image, there is other objects that have wall that turns diffrent direction but that does not work for me

Attachments

• lomcn.jpg
    lomcn.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 9

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland
I keep getting error when trying to view the object, i have tried to save in diffrent object folders but same result. 1630093426491.png

• Sad
Reactions: zedina

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
You might also copy it from hell00 orig map (before the village got burnt), it is almost the same fence. Copying when something is available elsewhere is smart. 👀

1630108310654.png

BTW I also got that same error, &*( happens with those objects.

Fusion

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Ireland
Is there any way to make the box bigger or use like brush like tiles? clicking 1 by 1 is painful :) 1630778459429.png

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe you are single tiling limit smtiles on front layer? Check if you hide all three layers, the limits should still be visible alone on the map.
Placing limits as bigger prebuilt objects doesn't use front or middle layers and so can't cut the trees (collide with front tags). To place single smtile limit, you have to use the EditorLayer menu commands specially made for limits. Never go to SmTiles to select the limits as you would any other tiles. The limit tiles are automatically selected for you when you use the menu commands to place them.

Also no idea why you have the limits all over, I mean even in what could be walkable areas. Look at iJam's editor version, it has menu buttons for placing & erasing limits in bigger 11*11 squares. I believe now the brush in this editor was never meant to do brushing (holding Ctrl), rather it just means placing and erasing 11*11 limit block in a single click, which works and it is a feature sorely lacking in Akaras' editor version. You can get around it by placing limits as prebuilt objects but erasing them can currently only be done by clicking on each tile. I'd open the map in iJam's editor just for that task.

If you used the editor up for download in the first post here, you could use the shortcuts to place/erase limits, F & B to place Front & Back limits respectively and C to erase both of them. F12 & Ctrl-F12 to show/hide back and front limits respectively.

It is a single tile job for now, until maybe someone steps in to replicate something like what iJam's editor has. Not sure it can be done to make it real brush, not an easy way anyway since the brush works only for selection under the Tile tab and limits never show up there.

Last edited:

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Second release of Map Editor (v1.1) now includes all GitHub Suprcode Map Editor changes and is ready for replacing the outdated Xiyue original editor edition there.
With this release, there is no reason anymore for anybody to use the original Xiyue editor version.

Most important change copied from Suprcode into this release - the editor now reads v3 libraries.

The Help file shown here (accessible from within the Editor via shortcut key H) is for the included expert 'NoMenu' Map Editor version that has the main menu hidden and the tab strip is vertical on the left (the file includes additional comments for this edition).

1633327156557.png

1633334696569.png

Download link in the original post is also updated.
The download includes binaries for the two editor versions plus the source code for the standard editor issue.

======================================================================
Notes for the second, extra NoMenu edition of the map editor:

The second exe in this release with _NoMenu added (Map Editor-Akaras_v1.1_NoMenu.exe) is an 'extra edition' of the editor with added perks/changes for some of those around here who are experts when it comes to using the program and who might find the included expert features useful.
This 'NoMenu' edition comes without source code. The included source is only for the standard Map Editor version (Map Editor-Akaras_v1.1).

The extras in the NoMenu edition are not in the standard editor edition for various reasons. Some, like the more fine grained zoom might be rolled into the standard editor issue if pple like it, others like the bigger 'minimap' have to wait to be rolled in as a permanent change because the MiniMap function need to be preserved and output of other map image sizes has to be made into a separate function. The increase of New map size to 4k will very likely never make into the standard editor release for obvious reasons.

1) Button menu is hidden from view and tab bar is placed on the left, vertical. Provides for bigger map view but need to know the shortcuts, not suitable for standard edition unless it could be toggled ON/OFF from the program interface.

2) Map zoom has more steps for bigger control over it. Later on, if experts like it, it could be rolled into the standard editor.

3) 'MiniMap' is 8x larger - not intended to make minimaps but map images for making 'image catalog' of maps (inspired by my own recent making of those map images for Jev's map pack). If you need to make minimaps, use the standard editor version.

4) New Map size increased from 1kx1k to 4kx4k (not meant to release maps of that size but to remove limit while working with maps - this extra is for the 'very pro' use only)

Release #2 - Map Editor v.1.1 [Master & Binary 2021_10_02]

M2P

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Is the source on github yet? If you can create a pull request I can accept and update the official map editor source

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I am just looking at it, how to go about it. I think I am on the right track now.

Pull request is made from my GitHub acct, from the Map Editor repository, right?
I realized now that my repo is not a fork of Suprcode one, I made new repository and uploaded my release files into it. I think that's the problem. Now I uploaded them into the forked repo instead and it is probably OK.

But it says something about three commits I made six days ago, I don't recall I made any six days back but maybe I did something, there is that long comment that I can't edit now.
Anyway, see if that makes sense what I sent in, I should really do it all over again, make new fork and upload to it my files, then make the pull request.

But it is almost 5am here and I didn't sleep yet. 👀
I'll be back in few hours

Last edited:

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Might have to start dicking around with map editing, just gotta get the correct setup so I don't spend hours looking for stuff I need for specific maps (so it's all indexed) to
Desert
Forest
Plains
etcetc.

Time is finally freeing up from work so yeah!

Reactions: mir2pion

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Works as it should, I checked compiling it.

But the code download contains two solution files, 'CMap Editor.sln' & 'Map Editor.sln'

The files are identical, doesn't matter which one you use to open the solution in VS, but if one could be deleted, it would be better (or you will hear no end from new folks about these files, which one to use, what is the difference etc. 😃). Akaras contribution is the one with 'C' (CMap...), this one should be deleted since who knows what that C means anyway.

I believe these two marked entries are not needed, wonder if they can be removed? Those are from some of my earlier fumbling efforts and the comment was for my own use, so I could look up what steps I did to get these files uploaded to the repo. Also have the spelling mistake. :oops:

==================
1633396979979.png

I removed these two commits from my local repo using 'git reset --hard HEAD~2' command, then using forced push 'git push origin -f', I also removed them from my remote repository.
1633417725003.png

But now I can't push Akaras editor v1.1 in there, it is telling me to pull in the remote repo changes first but the Pull is not available to select, only Fetch.

1633417980821.png

1633421161527.png

1633421178762.png

I am at the end of my wits. I simply can't upload the Akaras editor to the remote repository.

Last edited: