Mir2 private servers are in the worst state since Euro went down....

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Who? I do like how @Alecs and @smeghead guy mods the mir2/3 tbh, seems very clean since looong ago.

Not really worth mentioning, as they got outed already and still remain mods :D I find it funny that anyone who deals privately think they aren't found out within 5 minutes.

Plenty of pay to win whales, and not a single one of them keeps their mouths shut haha.

• Wow
Reactions: zedina

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
The idea here is that someone would rent a big hosting place on which those servers advertised in that panel on the front forum page would be hosted at no cost. If a server would pass the LOMCN approval and be put on that panel, then it would qualify for that free host.

When those who make a server look for a hosting place, likely they get a VM on a HDD, sharing that drive and rack physical PC and its processor with other VMs. Then its just luck if they give you space alongside some bandwidth undemanding VMs or you get put on some busy server. That is beyond your control or choice I think unless maybe you pay a lot.

Perhaps one physical rackmount server with standard hardware would be able to run all servers currently on the forum list here? Really no idea but HDD space is no problem, only the processing power and bandwidth might be in question in such a case.

Large cost is likely paying window OS rental, that's why there was this Linux port of mir server a while ago but I guess it didn't pan out. Maybe running on win7 or even XP? Is XP out because of win security or what. Likely it is not among choices when you rent VM.

Crystal Mir is restricted to really just 2 threads, im unsure on how many cores it uses but once you go past 2 threads no significant cycle delay improvement is seen.

Bandwidth is the real issue. If an idea like this went forward it would be unfair to exclude Mir3 servers. I personally don’t play them and do not moderate that section of the forum but having the combined user count of both Mir 2 and 3 even in the state that Mir is right now would be a massive task for a small forum. LOMCN is a forum that is ran by small team. I personally do not receive any money/wage from moderating the site at all. The current donations I assume are used to pay for hosting of LOMCN, Mirfiles etc

The amount extra needed in donations would need to be huge to be able to pay out for something like that.

You also have the issue of trusted people launching servers, using LOMCN as a hosting provider and then flipping deals under the table. That would fall back on the forum and regardless of anything it would come back to haunt the site.

We try and moderate the servers that are posted as best we can but we can only do so much.

Reactions: mir2pion

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Certain "admins/mods" have also been proven to deal under the table, so wouldn't trust them with anything.

Has any evidence been shown ? I’ve been on this site since 2010 and never seen such proof.
(2010-2018 Buzzbee) (2018-Now Jev)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
Approved Servers on here mean dick, because cash cows get the same treatment
Certain "admins/mods" have also been proven to deal under the table, so wouldn't trust them with anything.

Do you believe the stuff you type out of curiosity?

Cash cows - our job is to serve the community not individuals and some members of the community enjoy them. So your two options to fix this (both are outside my powers) are

1) persuade everyone to stop playing them
2) learn to understand that even though you don't like them some do and as long as some do they will stick around.

Corrupt mods - as I see no proof I'll answer this one with sarcasm - yup 100% I struggle so much when I wake up each morning to swim through the bags of cash I have lying around from all them kickbacks from servers. Might take a trip to the moon with my buddy Jeff bezos to get rid of some of this excess cash.

Reactions: Jev

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Yes...actually :D

Sometimes you have to do what is good for the game, cash cows were fine when we had an abundance of servers to choose from...but since we no longer do, that is all you see. Eventually the entire advertisement section will have nothing but "Avoid" written on the adverts, how is that going to be a good look exactly?

I'm not even saying to out right gut them all out...but there some some servers, even 1 particular individual you KNOW always tries to get his server up through someone else, you KNOW it's a cancer on this forum, yet when you see it..."Oh i'll just slap a little Avoid tag on that" rather than just delete it lol.

Your take on corrupt mods is exactly why it's not worth mentioning. I have no interest in invading the little click group...but trust me, as soon as you do the dirty deal, those screenshots are taken at every step and broadcasted to everyone through Discord to know who to talk to when they need a little boost on the servers, can't help if you are blind to it, but it happens...mods aren't immune either.

But if it helps, i've never seen anything on you before, so you're safe :P but have you even hosted a server before?
Post automatically merged:

Has any evidence been shown ? I’ve been on this site since 2010 and never seen such proof.
(2010-2018 Buzzbee) (2018-Now Jev)

Yes :) but mainly it goes on throughout the many Discord servers.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
And the solution is, :devilish: tadaa, Pottsy will make a server to show us how to run one without even a shadow of corruption suspicion sticking to him or even just a rumors of it.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Not really worth mentioning, as they got outed already and still remain mods :D I find it funny that anyone who deals privately think they aren't found out within 5 minutes.

Plenty of pay to win whales, and not a single one of them keeps their mouths shut haha.
I'm very intrigued by who you are claiming, I honestly say I have not seen Admins or Mods dealing behind closed doors, but guess I'm not able to search the forum 24/7 to see... but unfortunately my job takes my time, I don't post much but I still appear in the background.

Reactions: Seanofsmeg and Jev

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I'm very intrigued by who you are claiming, I honestly say I have not seen Admins or Mods dealing behind closed doors, but guess I'm not able to search the forum 24/7 to see... but unfortunately my job takes my time, I don't post much but I still appear in the background.

giphy.gif

This you ?

Reactions: Seanofsmeg

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
I'm in a fair few on the lomcn / mir2 server Discords and never seen any of this evidence, i can remember IceMan was exposed with them screenshots but was he a Mod? and im sure he was punished for his actions in someway.

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I'm in a fair few on the lomcn / mir2 server Discords and never seen any of this evidence, i can remember IceMan was exposed with them screenshots but was he a Mod? and im sure he was punished for his actions in someway.

He is no longer a mod, I assume that’s why.
He recently was slapped with a untrusted badge too.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
If thats what hes refering to then that was dealt with as soon as it came up i remember.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
He was 1 of them, yes :D I hadn't realised he got slapped and demoted...but he was outed AGES ago, and it got ignored haha...I doubt that specifically was what got him, it was probably something more recent. 3 strike policy or something? :D

And the solution is, :devilish: tadaa, Pottsy will make a server to show us how to run one without even a shadow of corruption suspicion sticking to him or even just a rumors of it.

Ha, it's not possible.

Everyone gets suspicious of friends or people who help creators more closely, it's natural. But I don't go by suspicions. I know who the corrupt and the whales are, because i've dealt with and against them in the past first hand, and know it's true.

I don't care for rumours.

Last edited:

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
He was 1 of them, yes :D I hadn't realised he got slapped and demoted...but he was outed AGES ago, and it got ignored haha...I doubt that specifically was what got him, it was probably something more recent. 3 strike policy or something? :D

Ha, it's not possible.

Everyone gets suspicious of friends or people who help creators more closely, it's natural. But I don't go by suspicions. I know who the corrupt and the whales are, because i've dealt with and against them in the past first hand, and know it's true.

If you don't care for rumors then please, feel free to post the screenshots that you say you have. You can do this privately via message or even here.

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
Think you just started one as we're all sitting here scratching our heads trying to figure out who your on about haha

Not to keep talking about cash cows but your saying delete some not all but you need to be fair. Needs to be a rule system so we're not just being biased.

A rule system allows both us as mods to do our job without being accused of favouritism (even tho we still do from time to time lol) and protects the server owners and creators who are in the middle of developing a server the confidence their server will get a fair shot on lomcn.

There is already a rule system in place and we do a good job of sticking to it and calling each other out when we feel we might not be. Take a look and think what parts you feel could be improved to remove and prevent negative servers and stick it up for discussion.

The community might side with your idea or they might not.

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
In response to what Sean just said, I don’t think most members of the forum really see how much work it does take to moderate the site. When I was just a member I never really sat down and thought about it.

Just today I’ve banned over 50 members for spam and scams. This all goes unnoticed but I couldn’t stress the importance.

We all try our bests to do what we can to be fair to everyone and do what it takes to keep the community safe from scams and other things.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
If you don't care for rumors then please, feel free to post the screenshots that you say you have. You can do this privately via message or even here.
You think I keep some sort of archive? :D No haha, I have seen the screenshots of the conversations and transactions, just like what was presented on IceMan quite some time ago...I don't need to keep them to know what servers not to get into bed with, or if I do...I go in completely open minded and with expectation of it not lasting very long, or that I will be at disadvantages to the identified whales (Which you always are to a certain extent anyway because people trade r/l with each other as well).

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Think you just started one as we're all sitting here scratching our heads trying to figure out who your on about haha

Not to keep talking about cash cows but your saying delete some not all but you need to be fair. Needs to be a rule system so we're not just being biased.

A rule system allows both us as mods to do our job without being accused of favouritism (even tho we still do from time to time lol) and protects the server owners and creators who are in the middle of developing a server the confidence their server will get a fair shot on lomcn.

There is already a rule system in place and we do a good job of sticking to it and calling each other out when we feel we might not be. Take a look and think what parts you feel could be improved to remove and prevent negative servers and stick it up for discussion.

The community might side with your idea or they might not.
I know your stance, and it's fine, it was already explained which is why I don't really approach it anymore...what baffles me is why when an obvious Remedi server pops up, why not just delete it? You know what it is, you don't even take more than 5 seconds to identify them, and you know it's bad for the community, and even banned the owner from advertising...yet you still allow the advertisement as long as it's through a 3rd party? Some loop hole in an imaginary LOMCN contract of something?

That is what I don't get. Upcoming section, 1 Avoid is Remedi, 1 is a server proven to have backdoors coded in...what possible reason could you have to keep them posted?