How do you host Discord for a server?

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I am lazy to go to discord for find out LOL

What does it take to have your own discord? So far I have only been a member of somebody's else when they make one for their server. But at times I get asked if I have discord, like a contact... Does everybody and his cat have their discord, like pple have FB, Linked or Tweater or Whatsapp and what not else, Telegram, TikTok ....?

Like do you have to make some acct. and fill in huge forms with email and what not?

If you can believe it, I never made a channel on YouTube. Once I wanted to make a comment under video but it asked me if I want to make a 'channel'.... LOL I don't want to broadcast, publish videos. I only want to write a comment and for that I need to have a channel? I never made one and probably it is for the best to leave as few tracks around as possible, besides wasting more time

CraZyEriK

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jan 23, 2006
Alicante, Spain
Just you need to create an account on discord servers, then you can create a server with channels and a lot of stuff, its free you just need to put your server name on it and thats all, app will give you a link to join your server

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex

What does it take to have your own discord? So far I have only been a member of somebody's else when they make one for their server. But at times I get asked if I have discord, like a contact... Does everybody and his cat have their discord, like pple have FB, Linked or Tweater or Whatsapp and what not else, Telegram, TikTok ....?

Like do you have to make some acct. and fill in huge forms with email and what not?

If you can believe it, I never made a channel on YouTube. Once I wanted to make a comment under video but it asked me if I want to make a 'channel'.... LOL I don't want to broadcast, publish videos. I only want to write a comment and for that I need to have a channel? I never made one and probably it is for the best to leave as few tracks around as possible, besides wasting more time
it took you longer to make this post than it would have to find out

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda

I use what’s app for personal, linked in for my business, discord for gaming.

Most servers post more on their discord than forum and you tend to get quicker replies too.

1. Create a discord personal account.

2. Create a server.

3. If you want the flashy broadcast and rule icons make your server a community one.

4. Make a channel and edit the permissions to private and have the discord community announcements go here, so only you see them.

5. Customise your category and channel names by copy pasting text fonts from https://lingojam.com/FancyTextGenerator - this enables you to have spaces in the words without a - and also allows you to have capital letters.

6. Download the https://mee6.xyz/en discord bot. Use the discord bots web based dashboard to set up everything in your discord from welcome msgs to moderation to timed msgs etc.

7. Visit https://www.alphr.com/discord-change-text-color/ to learn about making discord text “coloured”

8. Type ``` before and after a piece of text to make that text come out in code block. (Looks more fancy for issuing patch notes).

9. Use __some text__ to make text underlined

10. Use **some text** to make text bold

11. Use __**some text**__ bold and underlined

12. *some text* italic

13. https://www.symbolcopy.com/aesthetic-symbols.html can also be used to copy paste symbols for your channels etc if you want to spice it up even further

That will get you started anyway, then there’s games to add for your community to engage, but by the time you have mastered all of the above you will probably be a discord pro anyways 👍🏻

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012

Don't bother with Discord, yes it's nice having quick and easy way to speak with players and post patch notes etc but Discord is a cesspit of toxicity that players use to get away with talking to smack to eachother and the GM's.

I'd recommend just getting a subforum on lomcn and using that for communication with players/patch notes/updates.

Reactions: Jev

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Depends what you want to use discord for? Your server?

Happily add a section on lomcn discord, you have to be a lomcn member to post on the discord also, reduced trolls a lot :)

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
This guy is asking if he needs a discord server as if it's akin to a Facebook page or LinkedIn profile or "Tweater" and ya'll actually gave him instructions on how to set one up

At this point I don't know who's more stupid or who's trolling who :D

• Carrot
Reactions: Jev

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Depends what you want to use discord for? Your server?
Happily add a section on lomcn discord, you have to be a lomcn member to post on the discord also, reduced trolls a lot :)
Actually didn't know there is such a thing, as a 'lomcn discord' where members can have a section.

I wouldn't want any 'better' or faster communication, the server is half a bit as it is, really a development or perhaps a demonstration server on which pple can play as a bonus but they are on their own, like in the old wild west LOL. The server comes 'as is', nothing I can do on it if something doesn't work, most cases anyway. Communication on its thread is plenty enough, don't want to have more headaches with it than necessary.

Don't really want to have discord acct., its just that from time to time, I get asked if I have one and not just related to this server, that's why I figured to at least ask what it takes 'to have own discord', if everybody and his cat has it or what. Also the steps @MonsterX listed are not to scoff at as nothing, thnx.

Too many pple don't like to post here, instead they use pms (those who only read forum, never or hardly ever post) or suggest discord (both who post here or who don't). They think they will have me on a leash, get my instant attention, but I mute the discord tab anyway and only check it more than this forum when I start on some server, the first few days.

TheOnlyOne

DarkReturn Server High Rate
Loyal Member
Dark Return
Game Master
Oct 6, 2017
Jordan

pm me i can help you make one with few bot for it

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Naah, puts too much demands, obligation on one.

Best to keep life simple.