Original Old Skool Mir 2 (Dragon Server) private Server.

Join Discord

Would you play a Original Server based on EU Dragon from 2001

• Yes

Votes: 49 59.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 40.2%

• Total voters

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I do enjoy the early stages of a server, but only for a short while. It does get repetitive after a while.

I'd love to see a server that has something different.

Fast paced levelling, maybe with a level cap to stop people grinding away to "out levelling" the content.
Then the main objective is to hunt for gear - This is where to grind begins. Items will drop from mobs in certain areas and then subs/bosses have an increased chance of dropping said item.
Legendary kit will drop from "main" bosses but the other rare kit for your class can be dropped by normal mobs and subs.

A bit like Diablo 3 once you get to the end game. Basically grinding away through cave after cave hoping to get the item you need, just without instances.

How it'd work I don't know. Not really thought that much into it. But you'd need plenty of caves and floor to stop them been "over flooded" with people all hunting for the same thing.
Subs and bosses would spawn on all floors are as soloable as long as you are geared enough to kill them.

The Epic bosses that drop the top, top end items would not be soloable and would have their own KR (That you can't RT to) and you'd need a group to fight your way to the KR.

It's a shame I don't have the desire or coding skills to make a server.

Reactions: Swoosh

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
A bit like Diablo 3 once you get to the end game. Basically grinding away through cave after cave hoping to get the item you need, just without instances.

How it'd work I don't know. Not really thought that much into it. But you'd need plenty of caves and floor to stop them been "over flooded" with people all hunting for the same thing.

The problem here is that Mir combat is inherently slow. I tried for months to get the same kind of 'feeling' and still not there yet.
A lot of the current skills just don't fit that style. (Look at D3/PoE. Everything is increased AOE, automatic after effects, smashing mobs by the dozen, etc)

As controversial as it is, I ended up using an instance system in an attempt to achieve this. It is the only way to get that 'smash through hordes of monsters' feel. Still going to require a complete overhaul of pretty much all the skills & lots of new ones.

There is a good reason ARPG's are built around instances. They also rarely have any kind of functional PvP. The systems just don't fit.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
you played a warrior on LoF if i remember rightly with corruption, how did you find the leveling on that server?
It was slow, but the server was a well paced feeling. So you never felt like you was left behind.

I'm always Warrior and their start game is always very slow and boring until you get Half Moon.
Problem with most mir servers is that most caves have ranged mobs, and too many of them. Meaning as a warrior it's difficult to get a lure and kill.

Take PSC for example, Archers galore and then the Spearman that hit from 2 spaces away. NIGHTMARE for warriors.

Colin

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 30, 2013
Many good posts with relevant points. Seems the coders and designers and server hosts probably have more enjoyment than the players.
Playing recent servers seems to be about who can get to the highest levels soonest and be in a position to get skills and items before anyone else and so be dominant on the server. PVP wasnt so emphasised on euro. No one could solo a boss without cheats in the early game. Players became OP in relation to the bosses eventually but that was because there were no updates and people kept playing.
All the things squall listed need thinkin about. Nightscares says true things.

make a server where you start at 33ish with spells. Make it slow to get to 40. Make the bosses need a group. Upgrading(making OP) kit requires class free items from bosses.
Each server I try, mobs and bosses seem weaker and easier and dont hit as hard.
As for the "community" well, euro forum was funny. There was award for funniest poster. lot less trash talk and gobbiness, lot more laughter.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
if you make it take a year to get to 40 no one will play it, they will start out good and then as soon as another server is launched they will jump to that, the reason we grinded to 40 over 5 years was because there was nothing else like it.

I guess im just strange, i actually enjoy the early game of euro clones, the oma cave, level 15 weapons, dead mines for skills.
For me to 'jump' to another server, there has to be some reason for it (something I don't like about the current server) and sometimes I leave it anyway even if there is no server to jump to.

I also enjoy noob levels but on most servers I can only wish some attention were paid to them, making them at least a little innovative. Like it was nice on TPR server that warrior got some early new skill and thrusting and HM level requirements were lowered. However while skill books were dropping galore in Dead mines, I think the highest were level 31 or 34 skills, Thrusting & HM for warrior didn't drop for me there despite getting many of even higher level skills for the other classes.

When I was badly overdue for those two skills, I went back to Dead mine again but again no luck, got them dropped in Mineral mines sometimes later. Needless to say, I don't care for such noob experience. Mind you, warrior is PITA without HM in mines or really almost anywhere. Also without thrusting, even the Bug cave is pits.

Later on TPR server, when those easy mobs with lots of exp points were put in, it was a clear message that those lower levels were meant just to get over to begin with, they weren't meant to be enjoyed. The fun (you guessed it) starts at 40+ or higher because that's where the new caves and new mobs were probably put in. Beats me why the starting level was not made 33 or 40, would have saved them the effort made on skills front I mentioned and the bother of putting those high exp mobs on maps.

WhyJewBanMe

Toxic
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2018
Pi pot shop
Best **** I've seen that ^^^^
Until we found touchys reflection on his pc screen ha

Or since tai wont return my /muh forum account!

DOSturbo

LOMCN n00bie
Apr 2, 2015
Here
Been thinking for a few days now, how cool it would be to go back in time and play Mir 2 (EU Dragon) again for that very first time. Before Phoenix was released, grinding away in oma caves to level 15, killing your first Bone Elite (with a group lol) getting that first ever Mass Drop after they were implemented.

I'm talking before Spitting Spiders even got their new skin, when we had the Wooma Invasion of Bichon Wall, before the bullshit Easter Event which ruined the economy.

So with that in mind i was thinking about actually doing it, but would anyone actually want to play? Eventually I would release updates in the order of when they were released back in the day,and then start to add my own updates but it would solely be original to the Dragon server of old until all the old updates were released.

It would literally be like stepping back into the year 2001 and playing Mir 2 Dragon Server all over again.

Personally i think that would be awesome, or am just getting old and sad lol

Not at all, I only wish some games where as good as MIR was when first played as a young kid.