Status
Not open for further replies.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
What’s the difference between donating for drop % pads, exp pots giving u a lead, stat adding mounts, buff potions that last an hour, buff torches, etc etc...and actually just saying your selling shiz?

Surely if you drop the word “donate” they mean the same thing

Edit - this point is purely to do with selling, I don’t like Remedis way of doing things btw
It is what is publicly available (in the GameShop).
I couldn't care if a server sold benes, gems, mir items etc as long as it was obvious (in the shop) as then I can make a decision off that, whether I want to play a server where you can directly pay for in game items and stuff (and not earn them from drops etc).

The main issue is that there is a gameshop, then what the GM wants to see 'under the table' - if you for example, sell a Mir Sword for £50 to someone, just put it in the Gameshop for that value so everyone can have it.
People wont do it as it a) makes the server less desirable b) people wont buy it as it doesn't give them a direct advantage, as others can do exactly the same.

Edit:
If I spent time on a server, grinding to get an item that was rare, to find out someone else bought it from a GM that joined the server the day before, its just pointless.

Reactions: Tai and zedina

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
I always use to think that GMs set up the donations button to get around the making money from copyright blah blah. That would be the reason GMs don’t use the subscription method.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
You cant dispute on paypal over a donation.
While on purchases you can open a trial.

Players that joined back to my server told me that Skibadee was asking them to send money via "family and friends" options on PayPal so he doesnt have any chargeback scenarios.

Last edited:
Reactions: LOMValkyrie

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I always use to think that GMs set up the donations button to get around the making money from copyright blah blah. That would be the reason GMs don’t use the subscription method.
I mean saying something is a donation or a payment wouldn't make a difference with how much we are breaching their copyright, plus they wont chase down western servers as they don't make any remote dent into their income from their core player base.

The main reason people don't use a sub method as its very hard to achieve a good middle ground for it.
You can't make your server P2P, as you will instantly cull a huge potential portion of your UC - F2P users (which will then also scare off some of the subs as its a less populated server)

The best way that a subscription system can be utilised in my eyes, is most likely using a 'package' buff that promotes consecutive subscriptions
0-2 month you get 10% exp 5% gold 0% Drop
3-4 Months you get 15% exp 10% gold 3% drop
5+ Months you get 25% exp 15% gold 5% drop

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
The best way that a subscription system can be utilised in my eyes, is most likely using a 'package' buff that promotes consecutive subscriptions

No way, if this server lasts as long as chronicles that would be putting a heavy divide between Mir addicts and the few hours a day crowd. I know you'll probably say "well when everyone hits 5 months it's all even steven" but no need to add amplifier's like this as permanent exp benefits do damage in regards to higher lvl advantages in PvP which is very bad, people who play non stop also shouldn't have gold and drop rate increasers.

Something like Ultima Online's veteran rewards procedure doesn't effect game balance (but instead of yearly make it monthly or 3 monthly rewards for a good private servers lifespan), in Mir it would work something like this:

1 month - additional storage tab, 'Home/Recall' function when in safezone (cooldown 1 hour, teleport to any town you've favourited for free)
2 month - choice of mount skin, choice of weapon image skin, "Mining pet skill" (In mines regular pets are destroyed, pet won't tank too much but agro's and will keep you safe for 5 mins or so).
3 month - choice of name colour change (not red/yellow, those will overwrite on pvp), nickname (limited character length, shows in the 'Sabuk Wall' because that's always been useless). Gifted 3 'Strengthen Accessory' tokens and 1 'Strengthen Weapon' token which instantly applies a 'Strong' value for less durability loss
4 month - Stat changer function, use is once a month (reset on GM server restart), you can decrease values and lower others (like for example ACC minus 3, +3 agility...or maybe +6 agility with how sh1t it is).
5,6,7,8,9,10,11 etc....
12 month - Some Jazzed up name color/background change, on world map you can teleport anywhere (1 hour cooldown), Armor change or glow effect and your body permanently has +1 luck.

This kind of **** shows care, if it's a serious server....
Unlimited lvling is cancer, stap it!...or nerf the benefits!

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
I mean saying something is a donation or a payment wouldn't make a difference with how much we are breaching their copyright, plus they wont chase down western servers as they don't make any remote dent into their income from their core player base.

The main reason people don't use a sub method as its very hard to achieve a good middle ground for it.
You can't make your server P2P, as you will instantly cull a huge potential portion of your UC - F2P users (which will then also scare off some of the subs as its a less populated server)

I spoke with LCD long time ago, players was just paying one time then canceling it.
Also there will be differences like "Ah man i cant keep it up, he has 5+ months bonus while i dont"

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
is there a post explaining why remi was banned from posting server adverts or banned from lomcn, in this drama i heard acouple dif stories. rather not say what i heard and just be pointed to where i can find out the truth!
originally he was linked to hacking accounts on different servers... so his servers were marked as avoid and his account set to untrusted, then all these new ones popped up with different names, but names of the previously avoided servers were in the game still.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
No way, if this server lasts as long as chronicles that would be putting a heavy divide between Mir addicts and the few hours a day crowd. I know you'll probably say "well when everyone hits 5 months it's all even steven" but no need to add amplifier's like this as permanent exp benefits do damage in regards to higher lvl advantages in PvP which is very bad, people who play non stop also shouldn't have gold and drop rate increasers.

Something like Ultima Online's veteran rewards procedure doesn't effect game balance (but instead of yearly make it monthly or 3 monthly rewards for a good private servers lifespan), in Mir it would work something like this:

1 month - additional storage tab, 'Home/Recall' function when in safezone (cooldown 1 hour, teleport to any town you've favourited for free)
2 month - choice of mount skin, choice of weapon image skin, "Mining pet skill" (In mines regular pets are destroyed, pet won't tank too much but agro's and will keep you safe for 5 mins or so).
3 month - choice of name colour change (not red/yellow, those will overwrite on pvp), nickname (limited character length, shows in the 'Sabuk Wall' because that's always been useless). Gifted 3 'Strengthen Accessory' tokens and 1 'Strengthen Weapon' token which instantly applies a 'Strong' value for less durability loss
4 month - Stat changer function, use is once a month (reset on GM server restart), you can decrease values and lower others (like for example ACC minus 3, +3 agility...or maybe +6 agility with how sh1t it is).
5,6,7,8,9,10,11 etc....
12 month - Some Jazzed up name color/background change, on world map you can teleport anywhere (1 hour cooldown), Armor change or glow effect and your body permanently has +1 luck.

This kind of **** shows care, if it's a serious server....
Unlimited lvling is cancer, stap it!...or nerf the benefits!

Apologies, I was merely using the buffs as a example for stages for subscriptions, probably a poor choice
It was more showing the monthly incentives, I would - to be fair use some of your examples but:

Month:
1 - Unlocks your Crafting Inventory (you can still buy the Crafting Inventory separately - but it costs more than the sub) - this incentives people to immediately sub
2 - Unlocks your second storage slot (for as long as the subscription is active) - you can still buy a perm storage unlock
3 - This month you will get 2x +4 inventory slot increases and each month after you will get a +4 inventory slot increase until you cap out at 10x4. (these again can be bought separately)
4 - Grants you a PortalStone that you can bind to a town (24hcd on bind) which, when used teleports you to the town you are bound too <- stolen your idea - EXCLUSIVE to Subs

But hey ho its a very uncertain area with subs

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Wummy slapped up with that untrusted lol, did he actually know it was remedi if so warranted if not a bit harsh ?

Reactions: Wummy

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
Why would players not want to opt into a sub? It's absolutely ridiculous to think about, it's like if those people are completely lacking experience, p2w ruins games and B2P (which people don't mind at all) is essentially paying at least 3 months of subscription anyway at around 10 a month, if Mir would be half that or less that's 6 months at least.

It's just hilarious to think about that people don't mind playing for free and then there are monsters spending 100's, you have no chance of being relevant and you're only job is to be feed for the actual player.

@LightBringer I'd like to know ur thoughts on "uncertain".

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
It's just hilarious to think about that people don't mind playing for free and then there are monsters spending 100's, you have no chance of being relevant and you're only job is to be feed for the actual player.

Mainly because the vocal minority on here is the latter. (Or the 3rd category: Those that play 18h a day to compensate)
You see it every time this type of discussion comes up, always the same few people. The current system benefits them the most.

Didn't Chronicles have a subsystem for a while? Surely they have sufficient data to contribute.

Skibadee

That Vial skibadee lolol
Banned
Mar 24, 2003
The hard on @zedina has for me is HUGE, like an obsessive fat girl at school who no-one wants to **** .

Jesus done this, jesus done that , jesus come and stole my bike....

Jesus christ man , get a grip ;)

• Dislike
Reactions: LOMValkyrie

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
The hard on @zedina has for me is HUGE, like an obsessive fat girl at school who no-one wants to **** .

Jesus done this, jesus done that , jesus come and stole my bike....

Jesus christ man , get a grip ;)

I'm sure everyones got a list of server owners that are known to deal under the table. You are indeed one of them, whether you like it or not lol.

Even IceMan is one of them, he's been proven to deal under the table too...at this point it's almost a given, which is why not many people play the servers that are just copy and pasted. Server has to be decent and long running to breach 100 players, if it doesn't breach 100, most stay away as it often means under table dealing right from the gate.

Reactions: Wummy

Skibadee

That Vial skibadee lolol
Banned
Mar 24, 2003
I'm sure everyones got a list of server owners that are known to deal under the table. You are indeed one of them, whether you like it or not lol.

Even IceMan is one of them, he's been proven to deal under the table too...at this point it's almost a given, which is why not many people play the servers that are just copy and pasted. Server has to be decent and long running to breach 100 players, if it doesn't breach 100, most stay away as it often means under table dealing right from the gate.

I didnt deal under the table , i dealt out in the open . Thats the point im trying to make

v1 'breached' 150+ players , the majority of those players bought stuff from me , which is why v2 never breached 100+ , as i said i wouldnt be selling levels or items this time round - you would really be surprised at the amount of people who actually put money into this game , the ones that dont are in the minority, massively

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
I didnt deal under the table , i dealt out in the open . Thats the point im trying to make

v1 'breached' 150+ players , the majority of those players bought stuff from me , which is why v2 never breached 100+ , as i said i wouldnt be selling levels or items this time round - you would really be surprised at the amount of people who actually put money into this game , the ones that dont are in the minority, massively

Can't have been for very long lol. Most servers get a high count when it opens...I don't recall ever seeing it go above 150, barely saw it above 100 and then it never reached it again. But this was from my infrequent visits since there aren't any servers worth playing at the moment, so you may have...but certainly wasn't long enough for me to notice.

If I had to guess, you got the high initial count, accepted payments for levels and items, the "minority" stopped playing and learnt to never play another. What you have at the moment, are more like the gambling addicts of Mir...soon as a better offer comes along, yours will be dropped (These will mostly be your "fremium" players"), as soon as they leave, everyone else will follow to where the population is, as it's simply too boring to play a dead server unless all you wanna do is kill mobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.