Mir2 private servers are in the worst state since Euro went down....

Guccci

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
I'm hoping someone can change my mind, but Saphire seems to have been scrapped again? Euro Reborn HD - The first version was shocking, if any crafting is involved it will be just as bad. Apoc v2, probably has the most potential but they have chosen to go high rate, so its another 1-2 month server.

Are there actually any decent low rates in production? Need my mir fix, but nothing to look forward too

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I don’t see how posting this is going to get anywhere.

How about you grab the latest source code and start messing around. There’s a lot you can do without knowledge of coding. You can pretty much get two ideal source code Mir 2 servers and have them completely different just by changing the databases and drops etc.

MonoxideLenny

Adwaa
Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
I'm hoping someone can change my mind, but Saphire seems to have been scrapped again? Euro Reborn HD - The first version was shocking, if any crafting is involved it will be just as bad. Apoc v2, probably has the most potential but they have chosen to go high rate, so its another 1-2 month server.

Are there actually any decent low rates in production? Need my mir fix, but nothing to look forward too
<<Removed by staff>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pusha

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
There’s a lot you can do without knowledge of coding.

I second that, even if I don't like it as answer to someone complaining about server scene.

I'd say that most server's custom coding is either lost on me or doesn't make the game. If you are coding, think hard if the effort spent on it is worth what it brings to the game. I admit though that I might well have liked some server features without realizing it required coding, sometimes maybe not easy one.

For the record, I can't recall when I last crafted anything (bothered to) even if I do recall sometimes checking out what crafting offered on some servers. Hope it didn't require some serious work (coding or otherwise) on some servers that feature it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jev

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
Think we go through waves of not as much servers as usual and then waves of tons of new servers popping up. Would love to see more people giving creating a server a whirl. Have such fond memories of random servers where you could hand in your wep to merchant from 50% of increase items stats by 1-3 vs 50% of breaking it. People sitting all day long in safe zone crafting the mightiest wooden sticks of all lol

Para ball on wizzies! completely broken and unnecessary and i don't play a wizzie but nice to see completely new skills all the same

Reactions: Pusha and zedina

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
@Shane/Banshee any eta on that traditional pump'n'dump?

It still burns you deep down that them " pump'n'dumps " Have surpassed anything you have ever made, to the point you scrapped a 5 year project within 24 hours of Jamie releasing his Zircon source xD

Jamies crazy ideas are his own downfall, if Marble didn't have such crazy things on charms it would of lasted a long while imo.

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
I think the way the files are now everybody expects custom coding, has put quite a few off. There's a lot more possible now but there's also alot less people that are capable of doing it.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
I think the way the files are now everybody expects custom coding, has put quite a few off. There's a lot more possible now but there's also alot less people that are capable of doing it.

Depends on the use case:

For example most would like a low rate , which in this case you cant have too many features aka custom coding because it increments the risk of balance failure.

On the other hand, high rate means burning out through content very fast which will create the possibility of content being limited (as it will burn through maps/mobs etc faster than a low rate).

Reactions: LightBringer

Belle

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
May 25, 2019
Literally no truer words, looks like I’m done with mir2 now. Last couple of severs have been extremely disappointing. Apoc will last a couple of months and Jamie’s was a euro clone basically.
I won’t be wasting my time and money anymore on these servers.
Having plenty of fun in mir4 tho 😁

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I would replay some smaller one man servers even if they weren't much changed. Maybe just tuned up going by the experience how the first run went. IMO those smaller servers mostly close before they are 'played out' due to various objective reasons. Maybe if we had someone financing a hosting place for servers on the condition of them having no gameshop?

What happens with the servers that had their run and closed? Do pple build on their base or they just start from new base files?

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
I would replay some smaller one man servers even if they weren't much changed. Maybe just tuned up going by the experience how the first run went. IMO those smaller servers mostly close before they are 'played out' due to various objective reasons. Maybe if we had someone financing a hosting place for servers on the condition of them having no gameshop?

What happens with the servers that had their run and closed? Do pple build on their base or they just start from new base files?

Most servers now just take their old server, remove the player database and re-release.

The issue with running a hosting place for servers without a game shop will just lead more server owners to deal behind closed doors for items etc.
I mean if you could run a server with no hosting fees then anything you do make is just profit.

It’s a nice idea but I don’t see it working.

Pez

twitch.tv/the_pez
Dedicated Member
Dec 4, 2010
I dont know if anyone else is in the same boat as me. But i really struggle playing mir 2 in 2021 feels really slow and laggy to play. There has been a couple that have had smooth scrolling.

Reactions: ventus

JoeDunn

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Depends on the use case:

For example most would like a low rate , which in this case you cant have too many features aka custom coding because it increments the risk of balance failure.

On the other hand, high rate means burning out through content very fast which will create the possibility of content being limited (as it will burn through maps/mobs etc faster than a low rate).
The amount of people that actually want and are willing to stick around a low rate is miniscule, other wise Xtreme would be the most populated server around. Even if jaime brought out a new mir 2 server today it wouldn't last more than a few months.

The whole low rate high rate argument has gotten boring and stale. It makes little to no difference whether you have 10,000 DC to 100DC maps will still be balanced(or should be) more or less around those stats. The only problem with lower leveling rates is where all getting old and don't have the time to grind that **** out anymore. Still see servers to day having 10000 skill points to level things like magic shield its 2021 for gods sake there's better more engaging ways to do things like that

I really believe the major problem is the player base's attitude towards the game. Everybody has settled in to there own little clicks and they all hate each other. Every server for the past few years followed the same path, the core group of players no life the game for the first month and out level all the content. The first guild that starts to kill bosses snowballs so far ahead they bully the others guilds off bosses, leading to even more snowballing. This leads to the other guilds starting to get bored and fed up so they quit, the guild that was on top now has nobody to fight so they slowly start to quit. the 30 casual players who are left then see everybody else quitting so they are encouraged to do the same. Waiting for the next big server just to do the same the cycle keeps repeating.

Major changes are needed somewhere some how or its only going to get worse imo.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
The amount of people that actually want and are willing to stick around a low rate is miniscule, other wise Xtreme would be the most populated server around. Even if jaime brought out a new mir 2 server today it wouldn't last more than a few months.

The whole low rate high rate argument has gotten boring and stale. It makes little to no difference whether you have 10,000 DC to 100DC maps will still be balanced(or should be) more or less around those stats. The only problem with lower leveling rates is where all getting old and don't have the time to grind that **** out anymore. Still see servers to day having 10000 skill points to level things like magic shield its 2021 for gods sake there's better more engaging ways to do things like that

I really believe the major problem is the player base's attitude towards the game. Everybody has settled in to there own little clicks and they all hate each other. Every server for the past few years followed the same path, the core group of players no life the game for the first month and out level all the content. The first guild that starts to kill bosses snowballs so far ahead they bully the others guilds off bosses, leading to even more snowballing. This leads to the other guilds starting to get bored and fed up so they quit, the guild that was on top now has nobody to fight so they slowly start to quit. the 30 casual players who are left then see everybody else quitting so they are encouraged to do the same. Waiting for the next big server just to do the same the cycle keeps repeating.

Major changes are needed somewhere some how or its only going to get worse imo.

I do agree with your points however i want to ask you the following:

- How would you divide casuals to no-life/multichars ? Although the medium/high no matter what how balance would be, how would you make the meets end between a player who spend 14hours a day in game vs someone who is spending 4hours.

Ok you stop the level by a cap, but what about the kit progress? Is obvious that a player who spends more time than someone else, has a more % chance to the chance % of finding better items.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Can tell you for sure, the problem is not the customisation lol.

A lot of servers, even Sanj's HD/Crafting one can remain pretty close and true to the routes of Mir, without destroying the feeling Mir has. The problem is when you go too far, and generally this stems from only having a goal to make money.

It's fine to make money, but when it's your only goal, it's pretty obvious....and everyone is sick of it. Seeing the forum with 90% cash cow repeats (As i'm sure you've heard me say a million times), just does not fill me with any desire to come back and look more than once every 2-3 months.

But...i'm a broken record i'm sure at this point ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanjian and ventus