Crypto/NFT Talk

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
Would of been nice to be able to NFT chars but im sure people will just sell accounts them privately as usual anyway.

I gave away my account on Rogue Mir4 to someone under the condition if they quit they gave it to someone else for free who 2 days laters sold it to two other people at the same time, then had to deal with that headache of them asking for the master password and bitchin and moaning at me like it was my fault that the guy I gave it two was a tosser he just hid his motives well.

Lesson learned though I won't give my account details away to anyone in the Mir4 community ever and yeah the NFT function would be nice.

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
NFT market is failing hard anyway. It's been way too overly saturated by people who are just trying to make a quick buck. Along with laundering as Mental pointed out.

Crypto coming to gaming is/was probably the worst thing to ever happen anyway. It just promotes illicit behaviour from both the people playing the games, as well as the game/server owners without repercussion.

Reactions: ventus and Jev

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
NFT market is failing hard anyway. It's been way too overly saturated by people who are just trying to make a quick buck. Along with laundering as Mental pointed out.

Crypto coming to gaming is/was probably the worst thing to ever happen anyway. It just promotes illicit behaviour from both the people playing the games, as well as the game/server owners without repercussion.
A lot of words but not much explaining or depth to your arguement.

How is NFT your character laundering?
Buying selling with crypto is no different than using other currencies, to say that bad behaviour only happens with crypto is stupid.

Slipmatt

Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham

Buying selling with crypto is no different than using other currencies, to say that bad behaviour only happens with crypto is stupid.
You love reading outside of the lines don't ya lad?

I never said that NFTing your character is laundering, in fact I didn't even compare NFTing a Mir character to laundering. My comments were based on NFT's and crypto as a whole. One of the prime uses for crypto in today's market is for criminal organisations, or illegal transactions in order to avoid the banking systems due to being untraceable.

Crypto is nothing like using other currencies because A) It's not a regulated currency and B) It holds no true value. It simply is worth as much as people are willing to put into it. Crypto is literally flooded with whales who increase the market for their own capital gain, they withdraw and do away with their profits deflating the market and leaving the average Joe out of pocket.

The likes of the US want to regulate Crypto so badly for many reasons, one of course being that they earn **** all from it, but also due to the amount of dealings its used for that go untraceable for things such as payments for hitmen, gangsters, drugs, the list goes on and on.

For someone who I KNOW fine well has knowledge of Crypto, you sure are arrogant toward the realities of it.

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff

I said its being used for laundering.

Reactions: ventus and Jev

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
You love reading outside of the lines don't ya lad?

I never said that NFTing your character is laundering, in fact I didn't even compare NFTing a Mir character to laundering. My comments were based on NFT's and crypto as a whole. One of the prime uses for crypto in today's market is for criminal organisations, or illegal transactions in order to avoid the banking systems due to being untraceable.

Crypto is nothing like using other currencies because A) It's not a regulated currency and B) It holds no true value. It simply is worth as much as people are willing to put into it. Crypto is literally flooded with whales who increase the market for their own capital gain, they withdraw and do away with their profits deflating the market and leaving the average Joe out of pocket.

The likes of the US want to regulate Crypto so badly for many reasons, one of course being that they earn **** all from it, but also due to the amount of dealings its used for that go untraceable for things such as payments for hitmen, gangsters, drugs, the list goes on and on.

For someone who I KNOW fine well has knowledge of Crypto, you sure are arrogant toward the realities of it.
You do realise physical cash is used way more for laundering and illegal activity?
The % used for illegal activity is tiny but still way less in actual volume and value to traditional currency.

You sound like some stupid hater on CNBC that’s been given his false narrative card and he’ll stick to it and repeat the same thing when questioned.

It’s clearly worth something, otherwise it wouldn’t have its current value. Gold is “worthless” it’s just a bit of rock. Everything is “just something” it’s the people that put the value on it.

Anyway no point continuing this conversation further as it’s just going off topic and it’s a waste of time trying to convince someone like you otherwise. I’m sure when the media tell you to change your mind you will.

Reactions: Breezer

Slipmatt

Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
You do realise physical cash is used way more for laundering and illegal activity?
The % used for illegal activity is tiny but still way less in actual volume and value to traditional currency.

You sound like some stupid hater on CNBC that’s been given his false narrative card and he’ll stick to it and repeat the same thing when questioned.

It’s clearly worth something, otherwise it wouldn’t have its current value. Gold is “worthless” it’s just a bit of rock. Everything is “just something” it’s the people that put the value on it.

Anyway no point continuing this conversation further as it’s just going off topic and it’s a waste of time trying to convince someone like you otherwise. I’m sure when the media tell you to change your mind you will.
I have no doubt what so ever that physical cash has used more for illegal activity, no doubt about it and isn't something I dispute.

Getting back to my main point from my first comment and the reasoning I believe that Crypto has no place in gaming, is that it'll promote illicit behaviour within the gaming industry due to the fact its essentially black market and unregulated.

Let's say you get a dickhead game owner who screws over his entire user base, what rights does the user have? None.
Let's say you purchase something and don't receive the item/product or is not as described, what can you do? Nothing.
You can't exactly go to you bank, or PayPal, or whoever the intermediary is for assistance as it doesn't exist.

THIS is my min gripe with Crypto and why it doesn't belong in gaming. It'll only increase game developers, servers etc to be put out there that are half arsed so people can quickly make a tonne of profit and then disappear. Rinse and repeat.

Of course you'll disagree as you implemented it into your server to avoid the hassle of the likes of intermediaries, but I'd like to think if someone had a dispute you were honest enough to deal with it on a case by case basis and refund where necessary/appropriate.

Reactions: Martyn

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
I have no doubt what so ever that physical cash has used more for illegal activity, no doubt about it and isn't something I dispute.

Getting back to my main point from my first comment and the reasoning I believe that Crypto has no place in gaming, is that it'll promote illicit behaviour within the gaming industry due to the fact its essentially black market and unregulated.

Let's say you get a dickhead game owner who screws over his entire user base, what rights does the user have? None.
Let's say you purchase something and don't receive the item/product or is not as described, what can you do? Nothing.
You can't exactly go to you bank, or PayPal, or whoever the intermediary is for assistance as it doesn't exist.

THIS is my min gripe with Crypto and why it doesn't belong in gaming. It'll only increase game developers, servers etc to be put out there that are half arsed so people can quickly make a tonne of profit and then disappear. Rinse and repeat.

Of course you'll disagree as you implemented it into your server to avoid the hassle of the likes of intermediaries, but I'd like to think if someone had a dispute you were honest enough to deal with it on a case by case basis and refund where necessary/appropriate.
The same thing can and has happened though with normal cash.
There's been plenty of games on steam in "pre-release" or beta that then just disappear after people have purchased it, ye some people will refund but some just too lazy.
Also been plenty of kick starters that dont deliver.

Lets face it, gaming at the moment, is fked and **** and greed/cash is ruining it. Every triple A game is trash, yet indie games and tiny studios like pal world or BG3 are actually smashing it - those that dont focus on money first are getting all the attention. I hope this is a turning point for games.... but just remember, its US the players that allow these studios (or in mirs case, server owners) to put in these p2w systems, and we just accept and feed them.

None of my servers have ever been money grabbing (at least its not my intentions), I work very hard for a long time and expect them to be online for as long as possible. I don't force anyone to pay, I always give an ingame way of getting stuff, its never GG exclusive. OS v2 didn't last as long as I wanted but I tried something completely new and different, it is what it is. At least I am trying to push boundaries and do something different. I've seen plenty of servers on here that are up 2 months, then a new 1 pops up from same owner to replace it. Or they just copy everyone elses ideas.

I implemented crypto into my server cause I rly loved the idea and how it worked in MIR4, I thought it was awesome and cool how you could trade your ingame stuff with others via a safe secure system like crypto. The sad reality of that system tho just greatly enhanced a p2w element.
However many people sold and made a lot of money because of that system, so can't be all that bad.

And yes I've refunded plenty of people that had a legitament reason. But I won't deny crypto has been great to deny the usual chargeback suspects.

Slipmatt

Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
The same thing can and has happened though with normal cash.
There's been plenty of games on steam in "pre-release" or beta that then just disappear after people have purchased it, ye some people will refund but some just too lazy.
Also been plenty of kick starters that dont deliver.

Lets face it, gaming at the moment, is fked and **** and greed/cash is ruining it. Every triple A game is trash, yet indie games and tiny studios like pal world or BG3 are actually smashing it - those that dont focus on money first are getting all the attention. I hope this is a turning point for games.... but just remember, its US the players that allow these studios (or in mirs case, server owners) to put in these p2w systems, and we just accept and feed them.

None of my servers have ever been money grabbing (at least its not my intentions), I work very hard for a long time and expect them to be online for as long as possible. I don't force anyone to pay, I always give an ingame way of getting stuff, its never GG exclusive. OS v2 didn't last as long as I wanted but I tried something completely new and different, it is what it is. At least I am trying to push boundaries and do something different. I've seen plenty of servers on here that are up 2 months, then a new 1 pops up from same owner to replace it. Or they just copy everyone elses ideas.

I implemented crypto into my server cause I rly loved the idea and how it worked in MIR4, I thought it was awesome and cool how you could trade your ingame stuff with others via a safe secure system like crypto. The sad reality of that system tho just greatly enhanced a p2w element.
However many people sold and made a lot of money because of that system, so can't be all that bad.

And yes I've refunded plenty of people that had a legitament reason. But I won't deny crypto has been great to deny the usual chargeback suspects.
See, now this is a more sensible and honest post that I can fully agree with.

It's great to see the indie companies get more attention, and rightly deserved. And I agree, the typical consumer nowadays have gotten real soft and just role over at the thought of challenging a company and/or persons.

I'm glad to see that your honest enough to admit that you tried something new, and it didn't fully work out (some aspects did imo). Also appreciate that you can see how it created the p2w aspect that a lot of people quickly reacted to. Not to say that I didn't still make use of the integrated crypto facility, as I did.

One thing I will say though, is that the server wasn't a complete failure. There were some great features in it, some brilliant gameplay and PvP, but I think ultimately it had been the (probably unintended) p2w aspect that killed it. I mean it never really put me off too much, I'm very much a casual Mir player so for me, it was a perfect balance with the auto function. Sadly, I'm a UC wh0r3 and I disappeared when everyone else did hahaha.