Having a little private play around with the Zircon files

Join Discord

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
How about, Get Tai to block him from advertising the Zircon files but give him free rain to work on the Marble source as long as it's heavily modded from Marble.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
How about, Get Tai to block him from advertising the Zircon files but give him free rain to work on the Marble source as long as it's heavily modded from Marble.

Yeah

No.

I have plans for the Marble source already. It involves a flamethrower, a bin, a pair of gloves and some lotion. I cannot reveal any more information regarding Marble.

Easymode

Banned
Banned
Aug 19, 2018
my server files, I don't have your files, your latest server files are available to download?

---------- Post Merged at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:35 PM ----------

1st post suggested if he has a problem with my thread I can ask to take it all down, regardless the SERVER files I'm writing will go on GitHub and is my own intellectual property to release on GitHub, anything else his Client wont be, and can be downloaded from his services.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Yeah

No.

I have plans for the Marble source already. It involves a flamethrower, a bin, a pair of gloves and some lotion. I cannot reveal any more information regarding Marble.

Really hope You Jamie and Shane do something with Marble. -_- I'm like a broken record i know but Marble kinda killed Mir2 for me, going back to half arsed done Crystal server after that is upsetting :(

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
my server files, I don't have your files, your latest server files are available to download?

---------- Post Merged at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:35 PM ----------

1st post suggested if he has a problem with my thread I can ask to take it all down, regardless the SERVER files I'm writing will go on GitHub and is my own intellectual property to release on GitHub, anything else his Client wont be, and can be downloaded from his services.

Until Jamie changes something in his client stopping your server from connecting until its updated to match again ^

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Really hope You Jamie and Shane do something with Marble. -_- I'm like a broken record i know but Marble kinda killed Mir2 for me, going back to half arsed done Crystal server after that is upsetting :(

Crystal files aren't the problem. It's the people creating them. Crystal files give you every possible opportunity to do what he did with Marble, had Hany not been set back or screwed over I honestly think we'd have seen something special from him, hoping he finds the time to continue. Far deserves far more (heh) credit for giving us something as special as Crystal files. God forbid we used to play on TD's 2.3 files, we've come a long way.

I am aware everyone wants Marble back but it's mostly rose tinted glasses/nostalgia setting in. Having completely geeked it myself, it was far from finished and had many mistakes and screw ups that he (and admittedly, I) learned from.

All our combined effort is still being put into Zircon as we just don't have the time to develop another server nor trust anyone else to do it justice, but we already have plans in place, when, not if, we're ready to have another crack at Mir2.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Looks promising, will you be making some editors and releasing them? would love to tinker.

Please let me know your repo, will follow :)

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Until Jamie changes something in his client stopping your server from connecting until its updated to match again ^

*Uses .NET Reflector - Steals client code - writes a basic 4 packet server - MAKES MIR2 GREAT AGAIN!*

WHAT TEH ****!? Wouldn't stop him he has a source project of the client, anything Jamie adds he would need add to this monstrosity...

Easymode

Banned
Banned
Aug 19, 2018
*Uses .NET Reflector - Steals client code - writes a basic 4 packet server - MAKES MIR2 GREAT AGAIN!*

WHAT TEH ****!? Wouldn't stop him he has a source project of the client, anything Jamie adds he would need add to this monstrosity...

Remind me exactly when Jamie made all the textures that we see in Zircon, so jamie had a job making all those textures for Wemade and co?... I didn't know he was the Artist behind it all... Come on get a grip I'm making a open-source server for the client and if the client needs reshaping as I see fit I can make a patcher... I really don't think anyone here has the right to call up on people 'stealing' when Mir servers all use content they didn't create themselves nor have permission to use anyway. I'm not selling anything or running a pay2win game like jamie to profit from other peoples content am I?

Ever considered the possibility that Jamie's server could eventually die in time and IF he doesn't plan to release his server files you're all left with old poor files and clawing your way back up to making something work out... bet you'll want a server compatible with zircon's client then OR do we only care to have servers for old delphi mir clients.

---------- Post Merged at 02:38 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:37 AM ----------

Looks promising, will you be making some editors and releasing them? would love to tinker.

Please let me know your repo, will follow :)

Editors not planned, but we'll see as things crop up.

Repo will be up soon enough.

Last edited:

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
Why wouldn't you build your own client tho? Where its yours and free too update with waiting on jamie?

Easymode

Banned
Banned
Aug 19, 2018
[FONT=&quot]
Why wouldn't you build your own client tho? Where its yours and free too update with waiting on jamie?
[/FONT]
I have a Job, Kids, Wife, Baby on the way... I could make more excuses up but quite frankly i limit my time to how much I spend doing fun-stuff to do other stuff unfortunately but that's life . Anyway as this is open source and shouldn't just be about my limited time and interests, you/anyone is welcome to make a client and join the pieces together on github with me.. :) I'm not against that idea.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
I really don't think anyone here has the right to call up on people 'stealing' when Mir servers all use content they didn't create themselves nor have permission to use anyway. I'm not selling anything or running a pay2win game like jamie to profit from other peoples content am I?

I'm starting to understand you a little more.

You'd have honestly had made a way better impression having actually created something yourself and building upon it, rather than using someone elses work. In fact, had you actually done that, you'd likely have had the full support of every coder here. Instead what you're doing is maliciousness under the guise and pretense as goodwill. I'm sure you'll find a few people willing to cosy up to that type of thinking here, but the majority of us have some integrity.

Whether Zircon gets released after it bites the dust frankly just isn't up to you, nor would I feel encouraged to do so having seen what you're actually doing.

Easymode

Banned
Banned
Aug 19, 2018

You'd have honestly had made a way better impression having actually created something yourself and building upon it, rather than using someone elses work. In fact, had you actually done that, you'd likely have had the full support of every coder here. Instead what you're doing is maliciousness under the guise and pretense as goodwill. I'm sure you'll find a few people willing to cosy up to that type of thinking here, but the majority of us have some integrity.

Whether Zircon gets released after it bites the dust frankly just isn't up to you, nor would I feel encouraged to do so having seen what you're actually doing.

Well you're miss understood from where I stand people are all angry and aggressive that I'm open sourcing a server... I am using zircon client as a base to familiarize myself with the Development of a server, and as I said in a previous post I have no time to make a client. So paint it black however you like it, making a server and putting it on github destroys your outlook upon me, then I can see little of any open source projects going on in this community... I don't mind giving, and wont be discouraged in doing so thanks.

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Well you're miss understood from where I stand people are all angry and aggressive that I'm open sourcing a server... I am using zircon client as a base to familiarize myself with the Development of a server, and as I said in a previous post I have no time to make a client. So paint it black however you like it, making a server and putting it on github destroys your outlook upon me, then I can see little of any open source projects going on in this community... I don't mind giving, and wont be discouraged in doing so thanks.

The amount of time and work to make a Mir two server from my zircon client is significantly more than to just build such a client.

Mir 3 is fundamentally different on so many levels, people will expect the feel and play style of Mir 2. You will not get that with this client.
You are far better off using the crystal files that far has done a wonderful job with.

Easymode

Banned
Banned
Aug 19, 2018
The amount of time and work to make a Mir two server from my zircon client is significantly more than to just build such a client.

Mir 3 is fundamentally different on so many levels, people will expect the feel and play style of Mir 2. You will not get that with this client.
You are far better off using the crystal files that far has done a wonderful job with.

I decided to side step from Crystal a while ago, and Zircon was the only choice left. I am capable of making the modifications required.

To dispel any worry about 'your files' being illegitimately put online as source etc, this isn't the case... I also dont have your server files , not even Marble, do you still have that release files up, late to the party I'm afraid.

Anyhow not even at the stage where I am even getting mir2 stuff ready just yet, long road ahead with the server, can run around and attack each other but that's about it Dreaming about the mobs AI tonight, traditionally mir AI anyway, not a fan of the warrior aggro on zircon, assuming that is the case? i just found it awkward as a wizard to group hunt with a warrior and the mobs would find me unattractive to kill and aggro to the war causing problems for me. The warrior picking one by one off while they chase me around doing mass kill damage would benefit warrior as he/she doesn't have to get hit by 20+ mobs when I have them as my flock... but unfortunately this has to happen 10 squares from warrior and he/she cant come near or they aggro.

Last edited:

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
Dam jamie. You could put charge like wemade for updates lol

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
I decided to side step from Crystal a while ago, and Zircon was the only choice left. I am capable of making the modifications required.

To dispel any worry about 'your files' being illegitimately put online as source etc, this isn't the case... I also dont have your server files , not even Marble, do you still have that release files up, late to the party I'm afraid.

Anyhow not even at the stage where I am even getting mir2 stuff ready just yet, long road ahead with the server, can run around and attack each other but that's about it Dreaming about the mobs AI tonight, traditionally mir AI anyway, not a fan of the warrior aggro on zircon, assuming that is the case? i just found it awkward as a wizard to group hunt with a warrior and the mobs would find me unattractive to kill and aggro to the war causing problems for me. The warrior picking one by one off while they chase me around doing mass kill damage would benefit warrior as he/she doesn't have to get hit by 20+ mobs when I have them as my flock... but unfortunately this has to happen 10 squares from warrior and he/she cant come near or they aggro.

For more 2..

You need to:
Change the image libraries and format.
Change the map format.
Change the lighting system.
Change the draw order.
Change the inventory system and add functions.
Change the map objects processing order
Change the monster frames to match Mir 2 libaries.
Change the actual packet system to add Mir 2 actions.
Change the interface to not be Mir 3.

This is pretty much the bulk of the work in my client...

Tell me how is changing any of these whilst still keeping the game compilable going to be faster than just building a new client.

I skipped alot of the steps as well.

Easymode

Banned
Banned
Aug 19, 2018
For more 2..

You need to:
Change the image libraries and format.
Change the map format.
Change the lighting system.
Change the draw order.
Change the inventory system and add functions.
Change the map objects processing order
Change the monster frames to match Mir 2 libaries.
Change the actual packet system to add Mir 2 actions.
Change the interface to not be Mir 3.

This is pretty much the bulk of the work in my client...

Tell me how is changing any of these whilst still keeping the game compilable going to be faster than just building a new client.

I skipped alot of the steps as well.

Thanks for the help jamie, it's appreciated. I don't expect this much support but it's pretty obvious you care about how much work it will require , I'm flattered but don't worry about me.0.o..I'm all good. Just keep going with zircon as you are and get that balancing done.

---------- Post Merged at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Would laugh so much if this actually came to fruition

Yeah why not, PM me for test server... i have a IP if you have zircon installed.

t91bR99.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/t91bR99.jpg

Last edited:

rayray

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 26, 2011

Isn't that exactly what every mir private server has done ever including zircon ? :applouse: