Scum

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014

I played it for quite a while (1200hrs + 450h on Fortify). It just got boring on the 1 month reset servers, and the weekly/bi-weekly ones were either deserted after a day or full or tards. The most annoying part was when you fancied playing 2-3 days after the weekly resets, there was just nowhere decent to play. Joining a server where everyone already had all the gear and were raiding/spawn camping etc just isn't fun.

I stopped playing a month or so after the BP system came back, so maybe it's changed since then.

I did make some pretty insane huge bases tho, as thats all i enjoyed on it, raiding felt like too much of 'being a ****'.

Hackers were fairly common when i played too.

Edit: The old group i used featured one of them. Can't find the video walkthrough i made inside, but it was pretty insane. solo/duo vanilla server. (I generally played solo)
4F1F6A3AFBC40E2ECBDEFA8AAE7DE84BF649733E

799C337D1D5155667345F2DC84021C78BC2E0FC7

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I gave it another go a couple of days ago, all good fun as usual. Until you can't or don't fancy logging on for a day.

- The BP grind is insane, you need about 30,000 scrap to learn everything assuming you get a good few to research. (37,000 without)
good 30-minute monument run will net you 3-400 if you salvage everything provided you A) don't get killed & B) someone else hasn't already run it in the last 15/30 mins. This took me a week of playing too much, on a fairly low pop server 20-30.

Ok you don't NEED to learn them all, but my OCD won't allow me to miss any :)
Baring in mind the bp's are force wiped every month to boot.

- The new upkeep system has just killed it for me entirely. As the building is what I did most of the time.

The base I posted above would now additionally require the best part of 200k stone, 50k metal and a bunch of HQ every single day according to my old Fortify BP. So I would have to log on 8-9 times evenly spaced throughout the day, every single day, to refill the 30 slot TC lol. On top of hours of farming for those materials every day. Simply not feasible.

--
I gave it a fair shot and made a significantly smaller base.

The (still unfinished) base I made was tiny in comparison to what I used to make, requiring a daily upkeep of 10k stone (25k if i had added a honeycomb), 8k metal frags, and 100 HQ metal. that's still an hour or 2 of focused farming/smelting and needing to log on every single day just to keep the base from decaying (which takes only 3 hours).

After a 10 hour days or hauling furniture, I just had no desire to log on yesterday. the base is now gone...

--

So yeh, if you want to make a tiny 3x2 and just roam around for PvP, sure, give it a go. It doesn't require a whole lot of time investment.
If like me, you enjoyed mainly the building/survival aspect, either don't bother or hope to find a server running with no upkeep/decay. Tho they generally have less than a dozen players making them boring as hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Martyn

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
At least you have it a fair shot, It did look good, I just can’t warrant the time and effort it seems to require!

Same with bdo loved it but no longer play it :(

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
At least you have it a fair shot, It did look good, I just can’t warrant the time and effort it seems to require!

Same with bdo loved it but no longer play it :(

It depends on what aspect you like. the PvP and raiding aspect rarely ever appealed to me, so probably not the ideal game to play really. If that's what you're after, it's not that bad. You can throw up a small 3x2x2 and research or buy a couple of guns in an evening and your set for the wipe. just a bit of farming for ammo/explosives when you feel like it. If you get raided (which you will) the investment is so small, with a small stash of some resources hidden you are up & ready again in minutes.

I understand why they introduced the upkeep, you are meant to raid & get raided, it's not designed as a building simulator & it was near impossible to raid bases like that above.

It stood there in the open for 4 weeks until the monthly forced wipe, as no-one dared even try, getting stronger each day as more & more resources were poured into it. (the screenshot is unfinished, I added metal barricade all around the top ledge, high external walls and about 30 auto-turrets just on the outside) with 2 shops out front.

Reactions: Martyn