"Eternal Light" on Outside Maps

smoochy boys on tour

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I know a lot of people hate the dark on Mir as it is generally inhibiting without really creating much "atmosphere"

If you guys were playing a server, would you prefer to have outside maps under eternal day or do you think that the day/night cycle adds to the atmosphere?

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
If you were going to put the effort in to change the lighting, i would just make the night a little less black, keeping the day/night cycle. I also think the day is a bit too bright, but thats just me.

Being completely pitch black is just unnecessary & kinda fake.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I think always day makes it less atmospheric. Lets be honest, mir is a very old graphically challenged game - but taking away light is one of the things its got to make it look better.

Weather effects are a good alternative if you don't want darkness - but it needs something imo.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I might have to look into a weather system.
I have it a daylight system and a weather system on my RPG that I have been making and it really adds to the game.

Going a bit adrift of the initial subject but have the Korean's done it with just overlays ?

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Mir 2 has fog and fire which is just images - Mir 3 has fog,snow,rain (maybe more now) which use images - but rain is also code generated

Macka

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 30, 2013
I find playing in the dark really annoying, unless torches are good enough. using f.lux or Iris to protect yr eyes and sleep makes everything darker to the point of unplayable. I didn't have this trouble on other erecnt servers but do on apocalypse which is rough as it comes anyway