Server Starting Area

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
So how do people feel about most servers starting with the "Border Village / Bichon" area?

Do you enjoy it because you know your way around or do you get bored of it?
I personally don't mind it but just curious as its one thing I have always thought about changing.

Currently I have the above, with new mobs/npcs and quests hidden around. but I also like the idea of having a completely different map being the starting area

(you still will have Bichon in the game)

jaffar91

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 10, 2011
Agreed with above, its a bit of a turn off arriving in Border or Bichon nowadays. I like a new map you have to explore - which has just given me an idea that I don't think anyone has come up with yet...

Anyone who has played Age of Empires 2 (which I'm sure is most of us here) will know what I'm getting at here. it would be awesome to have to explore new maps like that. Anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about... you start with a small town visible on the map but the rest of the map is completely blacked out. As your character moves around it would illuminate the map as you go. Maybe once you get a horse the area you light up could get bigger too? Not sure big maps such as Monghcon size would be ok with the above though - plus you would need more NPCs or new mobs to keep it interesting.

Thoughts?

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I think that people should stop recycling old maps and start creating some of their own. Infact im pretty sure that there are enough maps release to get creative with the start location.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I think that people should stop recycling old maps and start creating some of their own. Infact im pretty sure that there are enough maps release to get creative with the start location.

Yeah I still feel like using the current maps is decent, as they have a lot of character (and nostalgia) aspects.
I think I am going to create a new starting hub, and just leave Bichon area as a low level area for low levels to farm.

Time to find a province map that I want for my starting area!

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
I like the idea of a purpose built starting cave where you progress through (a number of floors) collecting start equipment/gold/exp/spells as you go. The mobs would obviously be low level but would not only drop items better then you may find from hens and deer but have the chance to drop items that could keep you going for the first 1-19 levels. The cave would be enchanted and skill levelling but happen at a much faster rate whilst in this cave.

Once you logout from the cave you will be teleported back to BV with no means of entering the cave again.

Maybe it isn't an original idea, but the initial samey starter BW quests are tired in my opinion.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I mean within Bichon I have all custom quests at the moment to be honest, with new mobs etc in the area (has a new cave + new links to areas)
I just dont know if it feels 'fresh' enough.

I am tempted to almost start people in a 'scenario' type of entry.
It walks you through the basics, where the players actually came from rather than you all appear in border village etc.

Time to go to the drawing board and properly plan this out
(will remove quests from bichon and place them in here for the ultra low level ones haha)

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
i love starting in border village, i actually hate having starting areas... for some reason i just dont like it :/

Emzie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 18, 2009
i love starting in border village, i actually hate having starting areas... for some reason i just dont like it :/

Same, border village could do with expanding but i'd keep it as a starting point.