Best MMO atm on pc?

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
There arnt really any gripping MMOs out there now. I played Black Desert Online not too long ago. That was alright. Quite a lot to do on there but maybe a bit too much. I recently went back to play WoW which seems to suit casual players very well.

I don't think many companies are making MMOs anymore due to the target audience are heading more towards games that fit into the e-sports category and microtransaction category because thats where all the money is to be made.

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
personal preference, all i can say is this:

- Lineage 2 classic is being updated correctly with no real p2w (still heavy gold transfers tho), heavy grind though and you should get another buffer + on top of gold purchases this is going to be a grind

- ArcheRAGE (archeage private server), semi-p2w but nothing like the official servers, Archeage was the chosen one before Trion ruined it, the private servers are doing a good enough job imo. Don't play archeage though if dungeon runs and strong pve content are your thing, game is heavily pvp focused and does a good job of it.

- Mir Valkyrie, promising mir server, you should give it a try ;)

Bonus : I have a feeling the next big mmo will be Project TL, this game looks fire if done right (Lineage Project/Lineage Eternal revamped into an mmo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATnegnw0SyQ

Reactions: LOMValkyrie

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
FFXIV ;D (am fully addicted)

The new expansion has just been released so lots of new players

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
FFXIV ;D (am fully addicted)

The new expansion has just been released so lots of new players
It's been a while since I played it, but this. FFXIV was great.
BDO was great fun but had a lot of issues once you looked closer. (Maybe they fixed them now)

There really hasn't been any new big MMO's in a long time otherwise.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
There hasn't been any MMOs that have really made me want to play them (other than some mir servers)

PoE doesn't really count as an MMO but even that depends on what they do for each league.

Might take a look at FFXIV in Septermber when I have time for anything

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I don't even consider Mir an MMO contender in its current state.

It's been years since I made any kind of effort to group hunt etc, there is literally no incentive or reason to do so.
I don't even bother joining a guild on most servers, the amount of inevitable drama and childish bullshit is just too much.

That's probably why I enjoyed the others more, the social aspect seemed significantly more engaging. Especially in the case of BDO, big, active guild, grinding, PvP and running around doing guild quests as a group for hours on end. It was great.

I just don't get that feel in Mir, it's more comparable to a 'solo' game like PoE.

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
The only MMO's i've enjoyed are-

Mir2, Mu Online, Risk Your Life, Runes of Magic, WoW, Guild Wars, Tera..

Nothing else I've played seems to have hooked me :( Not had anything decent in years, let me know if you find anything!

I feel you @Chalace the Mir community is definitely not what it used to be, which is a shame considering we're all supposedly more 'grown up' now. I feel this is mostly because of the 'grind and 'challenege'' of Mir is a thing of the past, so when it comes to bossing / levelling there is no real need to group up anymore. (We just need a decent x1 server;) )

Last edited:

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
There's only two MMO games that I actually enjoyed, Mir and Laghaim.
WoW never appealed to me, tried to get into it, thought it was trash.

There's been games that have caught my eye and I have given a go but for one reason or another I never stayed too long.

I doubt I'd enjoy playing a Mir server to the extent I used to once upon a time, people I played with no longer play, those who do play now are usually asshats.

I think I liked the social side of games more than the games them selves.

Swoosh

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 24, 2017
London
Always amazes me how many MMO's have been and gone and are still out there, Laghaim, FF one, and loads never heard of. Main ones i've known about are literally Mir 2, WoW, GW2, Lineage, Tera + Runescape ha - I'll admit, bar Mir 2, never been able to get hooked on any other MMO's, WoW a little, love the size of it and cartoony but cool graphics and classes but so much info in it compared to Mir 2, I could never spend enough time on it.
Its why im set in my ways now and only play mir otherwise its Console all the way. There a decent MMO style game on console? Ps4?

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
WoW never appealed to me, tried to get into it, thought it was trash.

Wow was MY game for over a decade. It had spurts of fun, of course, especially early on. But like anything it got tiresome over time, especially when the content became easier and easier as the expansions progressed. Solo tanking 25man LK heroic for server firsts was still the highlight period; and when things began to go downhill. (We moved to 10man raiding after this, the logistics for 25 man raiding 5/6 nights a week was just too much)

However, the main (and for the last 3 years only) reason that I logged on was for the guild. That is why I played. Not because I enjoyed the game but because I enjoyed doing something with the people there. (Same guild and the same group of core people since TBC) mindlessly killing ridiculously easy heroic/mythic content was just a side-effect of chatting on TS each evening.

Emzie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 18, 2009
Alot of ex MIR players found conquer online to have the same kind of additive quality MIR had. Theres even a guild on there today that is mainly ex MIR2/3 players. I'ved played it myself & can see where they are coming from. Its doesn't look very good or even like MIR really but it has the same kind of feel to it in regard to game mechanics and what you actually do.

I see Lapta tried to incorporate some of the gameplay features from there in his new server.

I personally just switch between SWTOR & WOW.
I kinda feel like Chalace, I don't really enjoy wow anymore, I think its the PVP aspect that keeps me logging on. I do have that feeling... been there... done that... quite often on there that I dont get on SWTOR.

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
I got 24 hours free off wow support to try it again, can confirm its the same old bla bla. only reason i'd subscribe is for pvp but that is not enough for me.

might try the ff trial. Saying that, I might buy Dragonball xenoverse 2.

I'd much prefer mir but nothing worth playing right now.

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Yeah, WoW is pretty much dead in the water now.
Unless you're doing top-end server first progression raiding there is just no reason to play.
I doubt anything major has changed since I broke free.

Definitely give FF a try.
If I ever do decide to get into an MMO again, that will probably be it.