Comparison of available files 2014

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
I didn't say you would need access. I assumed above that you said they already did.

I already stated that the data send back could be modified. It would be much harder however, to create the cheat (easily done though an older source code) AND also find out how to modify the data send back (which nobody can read the source to).

I would hardly class memory edits as noob cheating. You could rip any server apart purely by reading and writing process memory.

Well "memory editing" isn't exactly hard... A quick google search will result in a number of programs that will allow to monitor changes in memory and edit their values... At that point its trial and error until you find the memory allocation your interested in...

If you developed your Server securely then I would disagree with your statement about memory edits... Nothing should be stored client side, there for memory editing will only be a cosmetic advantage (e.g. you can change what ever you like, but it won't give you a competitive edge because the server is controlling the game)... Obviously there are some exceptions e.g Light, which is primarily engineered client side.

Sam

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
If you developed your Server securely then I would disagree with your statement about memory edits... Nothing should be stored client side, there for memory editing will only be a cosmetic advantage (e.g. you can change what ever you like, but it won't give you a competitive edge because the server is controlling the game)... Obviously there are some exceptions e.g Light, which is primarily engineered client side.

Sam

Pretty much anything and everything client side can be achieved though memory editing if you're good enough. Speed hack, light hack, weight hack, revelation, attack/magic speed, animations, autopot, botting... I could go on. It's all down to what the server accepts no matter which way you do the hack initially.

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Pretty much anything and everything client side can be achieved though memory editing if you're good enough. Speed hack, light hack, weight hack, revelation, attack/magic speed, animations, autopot, botting... I could go on. It's all down to what the server accepts no matter which way you do the hack initially.

You just feed my own point back to me lol...

Sam

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003

Of course anything can be done client side - thats what Sam is saying. But nothing of importance should ever be stored client side.

Speed hack (we've just gone over this) is useless if you check it server side, same with revelation, weight hack, any type of speed, i could go on.

It would be simple enough to make your client look like you're casting firebang when instead you're actually casting fireball. But as long as the server checks the validity of the clients claims then nothing of advantage can be done.

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
Light hack is a difficult one I must admit I don't have a real solution to this as of yet, would be interested to see/hear potential solutions.

Sam

I know your files aren't C#, but doesn't it have a SecureString class which could be pretty effective at stopping memory editing?

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
I know your files aren't C#, but doesn't it have a SecureString class which could be pretty effective at stopping memory editing?

It would have some effect with regards to storing passwords and stuff but you could just encrypt the data in the first place which is what most Mir clients do to the stored user/pass. It would have no effect on memory editing though as that is targeting the clients assembly.

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
It would have some effect with regards to storing passwords and stuff but you could just encrypt the data in the first place which is what most Mir clients do to the stored user/pass. It would have no effect on memory editing though as that is targeting the clients assembly.

But the value would be encrypted, so they wouldn't know what to change it to.

Memory editing consists of finding the memory address of the relevant variable you wish to change, and then writing a program to change the value at the memory address when you need to. If the value is encrypted, you don't know what you need to change it to.

Issue with encrypting it yourself is that someone could call the code you use to encrypt it, and either use this code to decrypt or reverse engineer.

There are far more advantages to SecureString than just encryption. Such as not copying the value anywhere, and being able to make it ReadOnly whenever you want.

Not saying it would be 100% effective, but would probably stop 90% of people trying to memory edit.

Scorpian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 8, 2003
Manchester
Heroes doesnt have, friends, mail, socket items,
Heroes does have, Trustmerchant,
Gameshop not supported in latest release

TheMasterGee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 23, 2003
Interesting list.

Many people's comparisons will sway in favor of one over the other depending on versions I feel.

If the list quoted or titled as 'versions downloadable freely from popular sources' you'd have 1 list, but you could also have 'versions where people have taken the same source and built on it (but only 6 people have seen it)'.

I'm imagining Arcadia to be much improved over .r332 Heroes, for example. There are others that have done similar and gone further.

Infuriating in one sense, being that most source came freely, and in another sense, that so many people are working/solving/improving the same things in different parts of the world - whereas if it continued to be open source, the spirit would remain and time very much saved.

Totally understandable that people like to do their own things.

sprite110911

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles
Re: Comparison of available files

The AM2 Engine has been removed so the "my database is bigger than your database" is pointless... I didn't say that the trust merchant wouldn't store items... I said in a live server it is fundamentally floored... Some thoughts to consider (and please take this as friendly advice).

With the assumption that you store transactions in memory and purge them to a file every 5 minutes (this may not be the case, I don't see how you would do async updates to a file based system though):

- 50k items (Chron has a record count of 54k) would equate to 50k individual memory allocations, being interacted with by potentially 50-100 users simultaneously.
- The initial load up time would read the file line by line and add each item to an array/object, additional start up costs.
- Your server purges to the trust merchant file, in 4 minutes 200 transactions are made... The server crashes before the next purge, you have lost 4 minutes of transactions... This seems harmless as the people who bought/sold would also be reverted... What if someone logs and buys one of the items before the original person did before the crash?

Just thoughts.

Sam

Hi Sam
This is Lin.
I think MDB is the good way to resolved this problem :)

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
im sure the C# files support bigger than 1k/0.7k resolution. im sure they can go upto 1920/1080.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
currently built in support is 800x600 and 1024x768. However with a quick number change (and a lot of interface changes) you could go up to whatever resolution you wanted.

OoOoOo24

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 30, 2005
Wales~Cardiff
Heroes
Ruby
C#
AppleM2
Official AI's
IncompleteSupportedSupportedNot Supported
RDBMS (MSSQL)
Not SupportedSupportedSupported
Not Supported
Assassin
IncompleteSupportedIncompleteNot Supported
Archer
Not SupportedNot SupportedIncompleteNot Supported
Mounts
Supported
Supported
Not SupportedSupported
Dark/Light
Not SupportedSupported
Supported
Not Supported
Quest system
Not SupportedSupported
Not SupportedSupported
Hero pets
SupportedSupported
Not SupportedNot Supported
Fishing
Not SupportedSupported
Auto pots
SupportedNot SupportedNot SupportedSupported
Official spells
IncompleteSupported
IncompleteNot Supported
Gameshop
Supported
Supported
Not SupportedSupported
Windowed mode
Supported
Player stalls
Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Supported
Weather effects
Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Map magic
Supported
Supported
Elemental stats
Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Supported
Custom Skill Scripts
Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Dual Skills (Heroes)
Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Combo skills
Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Supported
Custom mob scripts
Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Gem crafting
Supported
SupportedNot SupportedNot Supported
Socket items
Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Supported
Mir3 Maps
Supported
Not Supported
Supported
Not Supported
Trustmerchant
Not Supported
wzl library
Not Supported
Not Supported
Supported
Supported
miz library
Not Supported
Not Supported
Supported
Supported
Latest Mir2/Mir3 Lib
Not Supported
Not Supported
SupportedNot Supported
Most NPC Commands
Supported
Supported
IncompleteNot Supported
Official interface
Not SupportedSupported
Supported
Not Supported
Anti bot mining
Not Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Marriage system
Supported
Supported
Not Supported
Supported
Master/Slave system
Supported
Supported
Not SupportedSupported
Friend System
Supported
Supported
Not SupportedSupported
Mailing system
Supported
Supported
Not SupportedSupported
Guild wars
Supported
Supported
Not SupportedSupported
Sabuk Wars
Supported
Supported
Not SupportedSupported
Guild level system
Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Supported
Crafting system
Supported
SupportedNot SupportedSupported
Anti speed hack
Not Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Anti weight hack
Not Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Anti light hack
Not Supported
Not Supported
Supported
Not Supported
Multi Language Client
Not Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Not Supported
Resolution
1024x768800x6001024x768 1024x768
Graphical Engine
24-bit
8-bit
32-bit32-bit
Stable user count
150300-400UntestedUntested
Development state
Not activeActive
Unknown
Not active
Storage mechFile basedMSSQLMSSQLFile based
Known issues
-Unstable with high user count.
-PVP bug (Shift + Run).
-32-bit graphical engine bugs.
-Number of high risk security floors.
-Hacks/cheat engines available.
-Unstable with high user count (rumored, forever seemed fine).
-Closed source.
-Sticky bug (Stuck on spot, can't move, can't tt, can't do anything).
-Unstable.
-Olds bugs (fixed in other versions) and incorrect values need adjusting.
-PVP Bug(Shift + Run)
-Packet loss.
-Corrupt image reading (makes client flash)
-Cheats/Hacks available.
-Incomplete systems.

Supported - Known feature and working in comparison to other sets of files.
Not Supported - Known feature and not working/not planning on being supported.
Incomplete - In progress, being worked on.

Threw together a comparison table of different files available/being used.

The comparison is actually really interesting... I had always thought Ruby to be the best contender out there for server owners, but after digging around and pulling this table together, I think I am in favor of Heroes.

Worth mentioning that this is a point in time, many of the above is likely to change.

Hope people find this semi helpful.

Sam

Heroes supports a trust merchant, says unsupported in your post 8)

lifco

Untrusted Member
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 6, 2004
UK/Italy
Heroes doesnt have, friends, mail, socket items,
Heroes does have, Trustmerchant,
Gameshop not supported in latest release

Scorps right here,

But that dont mean this list of the 4 files is anything to go off, most have taken there files to the next level and above

Not to say applem2 does surpport heros in a later release
My version has monk and so does ryans
Heroes also has monk
Applem2 (cron/acem2) does have darkness

The guide above is just a basic idear of what they have

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Scorps right here,

But that dont mean this list of the 4 files is anything to go off, most have taken there files to the next level and above

Not to say applem2 does surpport heros in a later release
My version has monk and so does ryans
Heroes also has monk
Applem2 (cron/acem2) does have darkness

The guide above is just a basic idear of what they have

It did start off with a more extensive comparison of files... But as some are closed source and unavailable to the general public they were removed.

Sam