Other Coding for Fun - MirUnity

smoochy boys on tour

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
Hi Guys,

So over the past god knows how long, myself and a friend have been playing around in unity, trying to port files over. Little knowledge and proffessional experience in coding, i would say we have come quite far.

We have put together a video, to show the progress we made and thought we would share it with you guys, as there may be people interested in unity or not!

Please note - it is far from perfect.

Disclaimer: This will not be a server! Before anybody jumps on about it. It is simply going to be a little bit of fun, which we may release source to if its of any benefit to anybody.

Main Perks of Unity: Cross Platform!

Video:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/HyJIF9Z6X0s[/video]

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Unity can be great, but I can see the frame lag in the movement, for unity you should convert the frames into an actual sprite sheet, are you still using a lib?

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
Totally agree, we converted the character movements into a sprite sheet but kept items in a lib format.

We are still looking into why its not as smooth, i suggest its something to-do with the way the maps are loading.

Vaytrex

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 21, 2016
Nice try man!

---------- Post Merged at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:57 PM ----------

BTW I would suggest using godot instead of unity to do this project since godot is better for handling 2d game

---------- Post Merged at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:01 PM ----------

BTW I would suggest using godot instead of unity to do this project since godot is better for handling 2d game

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Nice project.

Did you try java? i got a small built for java with slick2d

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
Last edited:

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
I have not messed with Unity much, but it looks like you are doing one draw for each sprite, instead of rendering to a surface then performing one draw, this is called surface or render target, how you achieve this in Unity i am not sure, perhaps there is some sorting groups, also for tiles you don't need to render every time, you only need to re-draw them when the map coordinates change, this has a huge overhead if you render it every draw.

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
I have not messed with Unity much, but it looks like you are doing one draw for each sprite, instead of rendering to a surface then performing one draw, this is called surface or render target, how you achieve this in Unity i am not sure, perhaps there is some sorting groups, also for tiles you don't need to render every time, you only need to re-draw them when the map coordinates change, this has a huge overhead if you render it every draw.

What i am finding from research is that you can't control drawing in unity.... there are no actual draw commands.But yeh obviously there are areas where performance can be increased