Player housing system.

smoochy boys on tour

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Well you don't really need the partially built houses - until its fully build the whole thing is kinda useless.

You could just have a small area (take the border wizard house for example again) that gradually adds more detail and buildings.

Starts off with just a path and land, adds a house, adds on a stable, adds on a pond, adds on a wall

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Whats the point/purpose of the house though?

I mean, it's a pretty cool idea but does seem like a lot of work for negligible benefit/game-play impact.

How will it effect the game play? , what sort of benefits will having a house have? Will you be able to capture other peoples houses/raid them?
(I always enjoyed raiding another guilds Guild Territory on euro)

Idea - should make them guild houses, and not individual player houses.
The benefit is as i mentioned before, providing all the crafting 'benches'/ information boards in one location. Outside in the world they are spread all over. As well as the farm/mine providing materials.

Technical question - Do the different stages auto-update in real time, or do you have to relog?
Something like that could really be expanded on.... creating a town full of map objects, destructable/buildable environments....
It is real time ofcourse. All changes are applied instantly.

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Could you not have different types of materials?

Wall
Wooden Fence
Wooden Palisades
Low Brick Wall (Bit like bookshop in border)
Big brick wall (like BW Castle)

House,
A Box
small Tent
Big Tent (like PB)
Wooden Hut (ginko/border)
Bigger hut (Border)
Brick House
Bw Restaurant

You could then give basic features, with advancements allowing better features

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Its a good idea with the housing being built up - but I don't think sabuk wall palace fits.

In a small personal map where you have your own mine and farm I would expect a small village house and walls - much like the wizards house (surrounded by small walls) in border village.

Obviously I know you probably went with the palace because of its multiple building states - but it just seems to stand out personally.

I agree somewhat, my initial iteration was infact a pair of small'ish farmhouses. But it looked rather pitifull, maybe i shoud have tried a bit harder to make that work.

Tho i think part of the issue is the images i provided, in-game you get no such detailed overview, which is the reason it kinda sticks out so much. It doesn't look nearly as big and grand ingame.

Tho i could possible swap it out for one a bit less 'gold' and make the outer steps into a small wall.

--

I do not want guild housing, as that will alienate anyone not in a guild or in very small ones. Maybe as a seperate system.

Last edited:

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Alternatively could you not cut out some of building works and skip the last 1/2 stages by adding more materials to it?

You've proved you can make maps. Now start showing off some custom object tweeks ;)

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Alternatively could you not cut out some of building works and skip the last 1/2 stages by adding more materials to it?

You've proved you can make maps. Now start showing off some custom object tweeks ;)

Not sure what you mean here.
If you mean alter the image to reduce the stages needed, then this was done on purpose, that isn't just 1 image per stage.

The central building part is one, the rest is multiple smaller ones on 2 layers to build it up.

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Wow, that could really be expanded....Imagine a bichon wall you could destroy/rebuild...

Just to be clear, each stage is a new map, so it does require a map change.

I did play around with using npc's as we can turn them on/off, but that didn't go so well. Also didn't allow other people to see your progress.

I suppose if you wanted something like that you can always just do it the same was SW gates work, it wouldnt be that hard to do for a whole city.

---------- Post Merged at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Realistically, if i remove the last stage (with the stone platform) it can be pretty much anything.

This is what i have to work with atm. (+ any standard map ones)
6 options for the low walls at the bottom.

h5tfSg.jpg

Last edited:

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Could you not do something like this

Uy333zL.jpg

Let house advance in stages,

Basic Tent (white scribble)
Tent etc.. with option to choose a different style which may have a different perk?

Lionsm!ght

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2015
Just to be clear, each stage is a new map, so it does require a map change.

I did play around with using npc's as we can turn them on/off, but that didn't go so well. Also didn't allow other people to see your progress.

I suppose if you wanted something like that you can always just do it the same was SW gates work, it wouldnt be that hard to do for a whole city.

---------- Post Merged at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Realistically, if i remove the last stage (with the stone platform) it can be pretty much anything.

This is what i have to work with atm. (+ any standard map ones)
6 options for the low walls at the bottom.

h5tfSg.jpg

For NPC's you would need to swap the visibility from player flags to a more global flag so others can see them?

Like have a table etc for playerhousing.
column1 being the mapID, 2 who owns it, then a column for each feature, ie house, mine, etc. The feature will be the number of the npc img etc.
Update the npc image based on the table values.
Have a script to update the npc images on start up and when things are upgraded?

Not sure if npc images can be altered while game is up but its one possible option.

Not sure how easy/possible it could be to change map objects while game is running but if possible you could add a new tile/object flag and when constructing the objects you could set them to a particular flag, and then player has option of changing buildings/wall types based on your predefined lists.
IE set house objects which are 3x4 tiles to type 10. When building your map you would define a 3x4 area in the middle with this flag and a default object then player could dynamically change them from a list that has objects of 3x4 tiles?
Could do something similar with the walls, allowing the entire wall or single blocks etc to change.

My knowledge of the files is none existent so dont know how feasible these are without radical code changes to how things like maps are loaded, but its open code so anything is possible with the right knowledge.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Unless i can come up with a better system of transitioning the images then i don't really want to be 'offering' 20 different options/upgrades as that would then translate into 40/60 different map setups * number of instances.

And that is just a bit too excessive tbh.

I'll have a play around and see if i can make a more farmhouse feel to it.

---------- Post Merged at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Edit: Actually I think I have thought of a way in which i can have an infitite amount of options that will show to other players, and not require a map change at all. Tho it is a tonne of work, i need to test some things.

The problem I'm having at the moment is getting the right balance between, comfy looking home out in the woods, and the showcase aspect i wish to add.

And you were 100% correct, this looks terrible haha.
FRLkUB.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:17 PM ----------

I am in need of an effect for the transitions. Something generic to cover the instantanious switch.
You know, like the clouds of smoke with a sawing sound you normally get in these situations.

Any ideas?

---------- Post Merged at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Ok think i have it sussed!

All can be done on a single map, fully customizable by the player. custom items are seen by other players etc, all seems OK so far.

- Collect/craft the decoration items, then simply use them to place. Can be anything from a rock to a palace.

- There is a retrieve option. So you can place/pick-up/re-place etc.

Only issue I'm having atm is the move limits are limited to the central cell, so you can run through bigger items etc. Also limited to one of each item, due to how the information is saved/loaded.

mRTgPx.jpg

emb0fN.jpg

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I guess youre coding this, so you could have an array of move offsets which block multiple coords.

Sabuk doors all work like this so they block all areas when closed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I guess youre coding this, so you could have an array of move offsets which block multiple coords.

Sabuk doors all work like this so they block all areas when closed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'll take a look at what's going on with the doors.

To get the above working i haven't actually added any custom code.
You would probably laugh if i told you what it actually was, it's so simple. :)

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I'll take a look at what's going on with the doors.

To get the above working i haven't actually added any custom code.
You would probably laugh if i told you what it actually was, it's so simple. :)

I'm intrigued. I only barely added the decoration system through GM Command, so i suspect you're not using that if you've not changed any code.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Edit: Move limits are now fixed. (With help from Far)
Everything seems to be working perfectly now.

So now i have a fully customizable in-game map. Saved to your character. Place whatever objects wherever you like. Limited only by the amount of items i add. Other players can visit your home and see everything you have placed etc.

I'll add some basic objects tomorrow, enough to have a play around building a house / garden some fun objects etc.

The only remaining limitation is 1 of each item. (Tho I'm sure if i play with it when I'm a little less tired i might be able to remedy that)

---------- Post Merged at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Not entirely sure what i should provide as a base on the actual map here.
i.e should it start as a blank slate like this: So you are free to build pretty much any which way you like. (on the plot)
(There will be plenty of flooring texture objects etc ofcourse)

Does that sound OK? Or do you think i need to mark out a basic plot, which may be somewhat limiting on potential creativity.

Edit: I have no idea why i made it sandy colour tbh, I'll change it to greens/browns.
RTpPsh.jpg

On the up-side, because this new system uses only one map, it opens reasonable posibilites for multiple options in terms of map 'theme' e.g. Desert, snow, beach etc, with not too much additional work.

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Are you using the same system to place the houses as you are for placing items? (Since you said its only 1 map now)

As i don't think it would work that great - you'll lose the front/back aspect if its not a map object.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Righto, glad you caught that. (Really shouldn't be doing this stuff when I'm this tired)

So i may have to keep the origonal 'system' for the main building. i.e map changes depending on which building you have.
Or just give you a default building to begin with (Part of the map). < think this is probably better.

You would still then be able to add all the other bits as you like.

Edit: There is also the issue of doors :)
so yeah i think a default building is the way forward.

---------- Post Merged on 30-04-2018 at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous Post was on 27-04-2018 at 11:32 PM ----------

Took a bit longer than i might have liked, as i couldn't get it looking right tbh.
Also added a new system in-game that came to mind. Something to make the housing a bit 'special'
(Left you a pretty definitive clue)

- Really wanted to keep the uprooted trees around, and they require the sand back textures to not look silly, but I didn't want it all built on sand.
So ended up with this, think it looks reasonable.
(As always, right click > view image to get a far better picture +zoom)

Purposely left the house area free of small details, as you get a package of rocks/bushes etc to have a play with at the start.

Edit: Tree shadow over the garden already fixed :P
fcUF4L.jpg

Last edited:

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
Looking good! suggestion try a small amount of cobbles or even dirt under the buildings really makes a difference imo

ms5LoGP
w4AFPyh.jpg

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Looking good! suggestion try a small amount of cobbles or even dirt under the buildings really makes a difference imo

ms5LoGP
w4AFPyh.jpg

I appreciate the sentiment, feedback always welcome~

- I always try to add as much detail as i can. In this case i struggled to break up the sand/dirt without the green looking like a completely random patch. If i encased the building in dirt, as your example, the green would be even more scarce.
- Sometimes it's simply not feasible. Sometimes it just doesn't fit, or the objects already contain fragments of (in this case) greenery / stone path.

Couldn't actually find anything that looked good with the house stone path. I did consider just removing it outright, but i really didn't want to spend too long on this map. (Already spent 2 days longer than i wanted to on it) Accepted the fact i can't keep doing this if i want to make any real progress.

A2wxjT.jpg

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I think this looks a lot more appropriate than before. Me likey

What's going on with the mount breeder though? And what's that tiled squared for SW of the cart store? O_o