Player housing system.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Can't give everything away now can I :P

It looked too bare with just a random house dropped in the middle of the map.
And i did feel like the housing needed a little something unique, so you get the mount breeder + something else.
- Just to be clear that npc image is cutout from an ingame shot haha, its not a huge npc in the corner of the map!

I think it looks OK now, plenty of space to play around with, without looking too empty.

Edit: i see what you mean by tiled square now haha, thats already gone, just a remnant of the initial iteration where i had an npc.

Last edited:

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
I appreciate the sentiment, feedback always welcome~

- I always try to add as much detail as i can. In this case i struggled to break up the sand/dirt without the green looking like a completely random patch. If i encased the building in dirt, as your example, the green would be even more scarce.
- Sometimes it's simply not feasible. Sometimes it just doesn't fit, or the objects already contain fragments of (in this case) greenery / stone path.

Couldn't actually find anything that looked good with the house stone path. I did consider just removing it outright, but i really didn't want to spend too long on this map. (Already spent 2 days longer than i wanted to on it) Accepted the fact i can't keep doing this if i want to make any real progress.

It does take time detailing, Defiantly something I leave for last. Another example using mixed tile sets and lots of details can make a map look a lot less plain.
https://i.gyazo.com/660819753ce833da73829665c93a38b2.mp4

Iknow you'll need to leave some space for people to decorate themselves but it does pay off taking more time.
MAwJUdj.jpg

BMdiKf7.jpg

Last edited:

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I purposely left out the details, that is a prime function of this map's gameplay.
I don't want people to be stuck with a table / yellow flowers etc, i want them to place what they want, where they want, to make it a bit more unique to them.

If the current way of players adding decoration didn't remove the front layer tags, I'd of left out the trees/buildings too :) I will look into this at some point, but for now i think it works enough to test the concept out.

Purposely left the house area free of small details, as you get a package of rocks/bushes etc to have a play with at the start.
Nothing irritated me more in PoE than when i did my hideout and some random default bit just got in the way (usually ended up just covering it with huge rocks~)

If people really don't like/want to have the option of building their own deco, then i have no issue adding a fully done map for them. Just wanted to try something different.

Last edited:

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
I guess you're using deco.lib ? you could piece anything together really including building, trees, details. Place them on the map yourself for a default look and allow them to be deleted/moved, then they could truly place where they want.

---------- Post Merged at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:34 PM ----------

If you wanted to trial it here's that full building to import and placements are approximately xy -422 -285
sjU3BV6.png

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I'm not using the deco lib or system, using my own custom libs.
I can add anything i want, the issue is the front/middle tags are lost the way I'm doing it. So you cant walk behind the large objects, trees/buildings etc.

Using the deco system doesn't seem to be that good either, assuming i could finish adding it to work this way, as the layers don't seem to work properly with the current objects. Part you should be behind show on top and vice versa. Not sure how this is being defined really.

I also have no idea how i could have the deco objects saved/loaded for the instances per player.

McG1es.jpg
RAFafr.jpg

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I guess you're using deco.lib ? you could piece anything together really including building, trees, details. Place them on the map yourself for a default look and allow them to be deleted/moved, then they could truly place where they want.

You can't really do large objects (like buildings) - i mentioned this before but if you just put it in to a single image you will lose the front/back aspect that maps provide and it will look very odd.

You'd have to put block limits across a large area so they can't try and walk behind it.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I think the process I'm using atm should work fine. It allows the player to add all the details/objects they want, limited only by what i decide to make available. At the very least, its enough for people to play around with and see if it's a worthwhile concept or not.

Haven't added many objects yet, as i was busy adding the mount breeding bits first. So need to finish adding some before any real demo is possible.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
how are you saving the objects you place after a server reset? Are you just using an npc script to recall the position etc?

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
how are you saving the objects you place after a server reset? Are you just using an npc script to recall the position etc?

Yeah, position is saved to file on placement of the object, as it's done using a script item, and loaded up on entering the instance.
- Only when you enter your own, not someone else's.
- Proper checks to prevent placing in someone else's instance etc.

Had it all working when i tested the different stages briefly, so should work OK.

Last edited: