Euro mir 2. Was it balanced

Shane/Banshee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 25, 2013
So quite simple really. Most populated servers have loads of issues with the impossible task of class balance PvP and pve, zircon has had its issues and I have had the pain and frustration from players to deal with over the 11months.

Most servers are not like the euro mir we used to play as the additional classes are present. However as I always seem to be thinking about what's fair for players on zircon it got me thinking was Euro evert balanced with just the 3 classes.

From what I remember before the last spells were introduced I could use a luck 7 dsword and 1 hit any Wiz in-game at level 43. With tdb. They definitely did not have 5 string set or holy hp stone, however this was just a DC +8 luck 7 and a luck 2 necky.

I never really bothered with FF on my Wiz as I was more focused on having luck 9 and max MC kit. I could solo DD towards the end. Which I couldn't with para luck 9 and acc kit on my warrior

Never played a Tao but they were definitely less of a power house then on most current servers.

So was this balanced?

Last edited:

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
No, It wasn't perfect.

The balance came from each class having their niche.

The imbalance came from OTT kits, I mean should max luck ever be attainable? This was quite common because of the bene exploits.

Not to mention all the kit that appeared in game after the philli files leaked and a select few picked up on the GM logon details and it was kept quite for a good few years :tranquillity:

Last edited:

Shane/Banshee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 25, 2013
Yeah I get you with the luck. Dsword was one of the easiest weps to luck. So luck 9 was actually achieved legitimately. Mage staffs were the easiest.

OTT kits legitimately will always make it into game so can you really not factor this in? I guess it's a small amount of players that have this.

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
Yeah I get you with the luck. Dsword was one of the easiest weps to luck. So luck 9 was actually achieved legitimately. Mage staffs were the easiest.

OTT kits legitimately will always make it into game so can you really not factor this in? I guess it's a small amount of players that have this.

Anyone who attains an OTT kit through legitimate means should be able to reap the benefits; I'd still say its balanced because anyone else can also do the same :)

Beyond the original 3 classes, balance becomes very difficult because those niches essentially disappear.

I do believe that Euro Mir2 had the best overall balance we've seen; but at the same time I guess that's what we all base our judgements on..

Binary

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Dec 23, 2015
Most private server developers, now listen to their players and make variations which reflect popular opinions. But because you can't please everyone, especially in the realm of balance, the devs make too many changes, and too frequently, which will always frustrate the general server population, including those who originally moaned.

It literally appears to be a feedback loop. On a 4 class server for example, one character might moan about his class (the assassin) being under powered. Rightly or wrongly, the dev makes a modification, but now there are 3x as many people wanting to weigh in on how they think the assassin is overpowered. Which ultimately leads to more changes, more frustration and fewer players.

Euro Mir listened to nobody, and when they did make changes it took them an eternity. If you genuinely thought another class was better than your own, you had chance to reroll and relevel before the developers even had their trousers on. The official version was reasonably balanced, but appeared more stable. Each class had their niche like chris said, and they were clearly dominate against each other at different levels in a sort of rock paper scissors style.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Giving my 2 cents... IF Euro Mir2/3 had today's player base, they would hit the rock bottom in less than 3 months, based on their concepts and grinds. And for others, dont throw me the "BUT ITS THE NOSTALGIA".

No.

Balance never exists, its just the difference/comparison of classes from GM concept and player feedback.

Emzie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 18, 2009
Too many high levels/end game kitted chars on euro cheated to propally tell.
I personally don't think Euro was balanced, US Mir (gamepot was it?) seemed to have a more decent balance but again hard to tell with so many high end chars (fully kitted/fully skilled out) cheating.

Swoosh

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 24, 2017
London
I think it was fairly balanced, certainly seemed it with only 3 classes.

Wiz/Warr could annihilate each other, depending who lands first hits or was quicker generally.
Unless you caught them Tao was difficult to kill but didnt do enough DPS to be a powerhouse in PVE or PVP.