1st line / Service Desk alumni

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
Been applying for a month or so now, and have only been offered a full-time 6-month contract somewhere... >.< It's a nice place etc.. but what am I going to do after the 6 months -.- it does get experience under my belt, I guess but the worry is still there, the mortgage won't pay itself.
That sure is a tricky offer. There might be a full time position at the end of it and that 6 months will get you jobs elsewhere but the risk is still there. I couldn;t personally do it.

Just saw it's actually 3 months. sod that. wait out and keep applying

Reactions: Omnibus

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
That sure is a tricky offer. There might be a full time position at the end of it and that 6 months will get you jobs elsewhere but the risk is still there. I couldn;t personally do it.

Just saw it's actually 3 months. sod that. wait out and keep applying
Yeah it’s literally just to help them catch up the lady said, big pay cut too, but would of survived, shame it’s only 3 months; doesn’t seem worth it to me, which is really unfortunate :/

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Yeah it’s literally just to help them catch up the lady said, big pay cut too, but would of survived, shame it’s only 3 months; doesn’t seem worth it to me, which is really unfortunate :/
Don't do 3 months.

Have you looked into asking if any roles are temp to perm?

I did that in my 1st IT role.

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
Sounds shady as fk @Martyn ! 6 months... No 3 months.... No wait what you on about you pay US to work here next!

Wouldn't hurt to use them in a positive way by going through the interview process for experience to prepare for when a role comes up at a company you do want.

Loads of people doing remote working now too as when I looked up software roles on job websites Vs remote roles was tons of roles I didn't see.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Don't do 3 months.

Have you looked into asking if any roles are temp to perm?

I did that in my 1st IT role.
it's just an agency advertising on behalf of a company, the listing isn't even on the companies website, they just want some extra help for 3 months it seems, then nothing else, for 6 months I would have put everything into it, but for 3 months, isn't worth it.
Loads of people doing remote working now too as when I looked up software roles on job websites Vs remote roles was tons of roles I didn't see.

I'd love something remote, its just getting into it, unsure if my CV is utter **** or what, but hasn't landed me one yet, well one longer than 3 months :P

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
it's just an agency advertising on behalf of a company, the listing isn't even on the companies website, they just want some extra help for 3 months it seems, then nothing else, for 6 months I would have put everything into it, but for 3 months, isn't worth it.

I'd love something remote, its just getting into it, unsure if my CV is utter **** or what, but hasn't landed me one yet, well one longer than 3 months :p
Don't give up.

I don't know how its in UK but there should be portals where you can see job openings.

Then based on that, send your CV through the portal and also on the company's careers portal (some use just emails)

Also check their linkedin page, there should be job openings there too.

• Love

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Don't give up.

I don't know how its in UK but there should be portals where you can see job openings.

Then based on that, send your CV through the portal and also on the company's careers portal (some use just emails)

Also check their linkedin page, there should be job openings there too.
Yeah using indeed mostly, it's like google for jobs, and LinkedIn, applying, I've sent my CV off to Skyline, He's probably seen some in his time, and he can tell me how crap it is.

Reactions: Tai

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Yeah using indeed mostly, it's like google for jobs, and LinkedIn, applying, I've sent my CV off to Skyline, He's probably seen some in his time, and he can tell me how crap it is.
Hey

Stop the negative comments. We're all here to support you :)

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
I need to know its crap, so I can change it :p tbh never really cared where I've worked or what I've done as long as I've earnt money, but now I just want to progress in a place hopefully

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
I need to know its crap, so I can change it :p tbh never really cared where I've worked or what I've done as long as I've earnt money, but not I just want to progress in a place hopefully
Search for workers reviews, based on that you can set up a mentality for it.

Sometimes is good to start somewhere lower than your expectations, thats when/where you will outshine and jump faster.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Sometimes is good to start somewhere lower than your expectations, thats when/where you will outshine and jump faster.
that's the plan, I don't mind doing CS, or 1st line taking the pay cut, just a little bit longer than 3 months would be ideal ;)

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
that's the plan, I don't mind doing CS, or 1st line taking the pay cut, just a little bit longer than 3 months would be ideal ;)
Connections.

You gotta start somewhere. Colleagues likes to gossip "Damn, Lloyd went to company X from here, can't believe he even got a bigger paycheck"

"Oh I helped Lloyd some time ago on a ticket, I should ask him to put my CV in there" ;)

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Connections.

You gotta start somewhere. Colleagues likes to gossip "Damn, Lloyd went to company X from here, can't believe he even got a bigger paycheck"

"Oh I helped Lloyd some time ago on a ticket, I should ask him to put my CV in there" ;)
I moved almost 6 hours away from where I grew up, I got mates who are quite high up in HSBC, could have probably got a job in HSBC haha

Reactions: zedina

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
Don't forget to contact all the IT recruitment agencies, Go to their website and just email your CV with a nice description as to why you want them to help you. That's what ended up getting me my job

• Love

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester

I'd love something remote, its just getting into it, unsure if my CV is utter **** or what, but hasn't landed me one yet, well one longer than 3 months :p
PM me your CV - I'll give my honest opinion on what i'd do with it if it came across my desk :D