Request 1st line support course

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Here is an example of IT support jobs in your area:

You are doing what I did, worrying too much about what the companies want and that may stop you applying for the jobs. Just apply for the jobs anyway. Entry level should only really require you to have a keen passion for the subject.

As long as you have a good CV and cover letter to get you to the interview phase, you just show your passion in the interview.

Put it this way, I applied for a junior developer job with no experience and no programming qualifications. I got the job because I showed determination and passion in the interview. I told them I was using online resources every day to gain the required knowlege. I also told them I will be willing do any training in my own time. They actually offered to put me on a training course in works time, but you making that offer to them shows how much you want the job and to develop your skills.

Reactions: PoPcOrN

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
I would go with what violent is saying. At the very least start yourself in the right direction. Look online for say 10 companies near you where you would want to end up working, but look for jobs for them online and reach out to state your passion and interest and see what they say. At least then if they say sorry you need qualification A to join then at least then you know exactly what you need to move forward

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Quite a lot of 1st line support is done by phone, especially where I work. I urge my guys to phone more than email - Gives them that better customer experience.
We all know how frustrating it is calling for support and getting some overseas guy reading from a script.

I can't see MSP's farming their helpdesk out to India anytime soon.

Its also frustrating dealing with a welsh, or Scottish person too. 😂

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Qualifications never guarantees you a job anywhere, however it will help.

I did say ages ago to just apply for any jobs that you see. If you get an Interview thats when you sell yourself.

Talk about passion for IT, willingness to learn, what you're already doing to learn (E.g. working towards A+).

CWJobs and Indeed websites - Don't bother using google.

Search for IT Support

Have you looked into Apprenticeships? You start off on a low wage but they're always a good way to get your foot in the door.

Reactions: PoPcOrN and Violent

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
I haven't seen any apprenticeships that isn't directly an it company. I will keep looking though, thank you.
Post automatically merged:

Well I've applied... 😯

I will try this company another time with comptia if needed and then look at other places.

What are these companies called?

The company I applied for doesn't use indeed so I'm wondering how to check other businesses

Last edited:

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
Well now my balloons popped.

If an employee doesn't give a **** about qualifications, how am I supposed to get an entry level job?

Is livelabs an option for wanted experience? I haven't actually looked in to what livelabs is but I know it's for practical stuff.

@Karl could you give me an example of the short test?

Has anybody got the software to do 1001 1002 mock exams?

How do I word my Google search to find IT companies with 1st line support? I want to apply pre qualification if what you're saying is true.

So a recruitment day for me we'll invite along 10-20 people and will follow some kind of format like this:

An Ice breaker (Tell everyone something about yourself that people probably wouldn't be able to guess or would be surprising, something simple like this). Gives a good insight as to how easily people will talk in front of others.

A short cognative test (you can find examples of these all over the internet). Then because we're a Hosting company i'll have some kind of question tell me how xxx works. So a common one would be Explain how email works - I'm not looking for exact details on how to build an exchange or dovecot server and all the ins and outs of this, just a basic understanding that it's not magic, you click a button on your computer and it magically appears on another persons screen.

I'll then give a quick brief of how support works in a specific scenario. For example, the only information that we will allow someone to access their account. To accompany this we'll ask the candidate to reply to an email request asking for a password reset, and then have an intentionally awkward telephone support scenario where someones trying to gain access to someone elses account, basically seeing how they handle been put under pressure.

We'll have a half hour break or so, give them some sandwiches and then probably send about 3/4 of the people home because they're useless and then have face to face interviews with the remainder (This is usually just a formality, if they don't concern us with their answers in the face to face they've already got the job :D )

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I'll then give a quick brief of how support works in a specific scenario. For example, the only information that we will allow someone to access their account. To accompany this we'll ask the candidate to reply to an email request asking for a password reset, and then have an intentionally awkward telephone support scenario where someones trying to gain access to someone elses account, basically seeing how they handle been put under pressure.

Lol this is savage

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Man can work a 9-5 and farm birds. I don't know if i should confess this but I actually farm ducks. I think that would make me a genuine rival of ol' chicken boy over there.

Off topic but... Kiera and Nala… then Pumba, Donald, Kiera, Nala, and Minnie. Yea bitch, my ducks got names

20779 20780
clip_image001.jpg

clip_image001.jpg

• Love
Reactions: PoPcOrN and Violent

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
@kyndigs do you have the comptia a+ 1001 1002 mock tests or 901 902.

Cheers

Might not need it after all. Just found testout ce which gives everything i need including live labs, mock exams and all on 1001 1002 at the same price as plural site.

Winner winner chicken dinner

Last edited:

Karl

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 8, 2004
Gloucester
and yet probably really effective at weeding out the weak and feeble.

Exactly, it's amazing how many people will fall for sob stories or people claiming they made a mistake or registered wrong email address etc etc and just reset passwords or change email addresses on accounts for people. Seen that happen out there in the real world all too often (actually may have used some tactics like that myself sometimes).