Request 1st line support course

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
Hey people,

I was just wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction for a course that gives the qualifications needed to become 1st line support. Additional courses while doing 1st line support so I can climb the ranks would also be great! Cheers!

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
CompTIA A+ would be a good start
MCSA Windows 10

When I recruit for my 1st line guys any of the above would be fine. You don't really need any courses for 1st line as experience would trump it. But if you're struggling to get a position do the CompTIA A+ first.

You also then want to look at the Microsoft Server courses

MCSA Windows Server 2016

I work for an MSP and I'd recommend you looking at Cloud Courses as Cloud solutions are starting to be pushed more these days.

Azure / AWS

Reactions: PoPcOrN

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
How would one get experience though? I don't have IT qualifications other than a distinction in level 1 🤣. This is a new career change for me so I think courses are my only option? Cheers for the info. Any specific course company you would recommend? Where are you based? Maybe you could give me a job once I've done the relevant courses 😉

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Like Skyline has said, if you don't have the experience, I would build up qualifications;

Microsoft MCPs (they aren't difficulty but they might make your CV stand out to employers)
CompTIA A+ / CompTIA Network +
You can also look to acquire MCSEs

Microsoft quals you can get them direct, and sometimes they have an offer on where you have a free 'retry' if you fail.

Edit
Also @Skyline out of pure interest, what do you do? :) (as I work for an MSP!)

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
Thank you for the help guys. Much appreciated 😘

This one looks good as it comes with the network+ course. Does that seem reasonable? Does it matter what site you do the course on?

Cheers

@Skyline

@LightBringer
Post automatically merged:

I've just noticed these do not include exams and the exam it self is £130.

Anyway to get this all done cheaper?

Last edited:

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
+1 for CompTIA A+ and Network+ have done both and can be easily achieved and then lets you move on I went CCENT and looking at going through CCNA routes but managed to get ITIL and GDPR certifications last year.

ITIL Foundation is another good one for service desk roles...

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Like Skyline has said, if you don't have the experience, I would build up qualifications;

Microsoft MCPs (they aren't difficulty but they might make your CV stand out to employers)
CompTIA A+ / CompTIA Network +
You can also look to acquire MCSEs

Microsoft quals you can get them direct, and sometimes they have an offer on where you have a free 'retry' if you fail.

Edit
Also @Skyline out of pure interest, what do you do? :) (as I work for an MSP!)
Systems Manager for an MSP here in Sheffield (So no good for you @PoPcOrN lol). So basically in charge of all the systems we use - RMM, Documentation, Ticketing etc)
I was previously the Helpdesk Manager.

Popcorn, how old are you out of interest?
To get experience you will need to start off at the very bottom - Preferably apprenticeship or bare minimum wage just to get your foot in the door.

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
Systems Manager for an MSP here in Sheffield (So no good for you @PoPcOrN lol). So basically in charge of all the systems we use - RMM, Documentation, Ticketing etc)

To get experience you will need to start off at the very bottom - Preferably apprenticeship or bare minimum wage just to get your foot in the door.

I'm 28 in 4 days and need to get my arse in to gear before I stack shelves for the rest of my life lol. Sent you a pm.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Thank you for the help guys. Much appreciated 😘

This one looks good as it comes with the network+ course. Does that seem reasonable? Does it matter what site you do the course on?

Cheers

@Skyline

@LightBringer

I've just noticed these do not include exams and the exam it self is £130.

Anyway to get this all done cheaper?

199 for the bundle gives you access the ebook, practise exam then the exam or 279 for an extra test if you fail.

Where abouts in Sheffield? I moved to Sheffield a few years ago and started working at the University on Unified Comms

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield

199 for the bundle gives you access the ebook, practise exam then the exam or 279 for an extra test if you fail.

Where abouts in Sheffield? I moved to Sheffield a few years ago and started working at the University on Unified Comms
We're based in Tinsley, near Meadowhall.

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury

The problem with that is that it doesn't include 902? Or am I missing something

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
The problem with that is that it doesn't include 902? Or am I missing something

Ah it doesn't just saw:
* CompTIA A+ certification consists of 2 separate exams, 220-901 and 220-902. In order to take both exams, you need to purchase 2 vouchers.

So you're looking at 400 for the bundles and the exams. Although you could save some cash and buy the books from amazon and just take exams etc

@Skyline think a few guys here are in Sheffield, I'm at meadowhell most weekends! Kids love it there...

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
NTMF9eH.png

What one do you want?

• Wow
Reactions: zedina and Xander

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
NTMF9eH.png

What one do you want?

Thank you very much but I've signed up to pluralsight which should give me everything I need.

After looking at what COMPTIA offers and what 1st line support requires.. I'll Definately need more qualifications than just COMPTIA

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
You will always need more - Plus the "Requirements" doesn't mean you need to know them all. You wouldn't be 1st line if you did ;-)

If I was you I'd be looking at all the MSP's in your area and be ringing round them to see if they have anything available and if not then to keep you in mind - Send your CV over.

Explain that you're willing to start from the bottom. One may be willing to give you a chance.

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
You will always need more - Plus the "Requirements" doesn't mean you need to know them all. You wouldn't be 1st line if you did ;-)

If I was you I'd be looking at all the MSP's in your area and be ringing round them to see if they have anything available and if not then to keep you in mind - Send your CV over.

Explain that you're willing to start from the bottom. One may be willing to give you a chance.

I will get the comptia done before I do that to give myself a fighting chance.

I feel like I'm learning useless stuff right now.. like the difference between led and LCD and all the sub sections with them. Do I need this sort of information over load?

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
It all depends on the role "1st line support" is very broad, 1st line support where?

Personally, I'd sack of the Microsoft courses and focus on linux and cloud environments, that's where the money is now. Unless you want to be the "Office IT Guy" who goes around helping end users and dealing with trivial stuff.

https://linuxacademy.com/ is a good start, focus on LPIC/GCP/AWS/ELK/Docker/BASH/Python

Where I live, they are desperate for people with these skills, and will take someone who is self taught, with no experience.

Experience - Linux Sys Admin/Dev ops , I started 4 years ago as 1st line support.

Last edited:

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
@NightScare Could you possibly post an advertised job based on what you just said? It's all a bunch of gibberish to me so trying to understand what the job is and what it requires helps me a lot lol.

Cheers

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
@NightScare Could you possibly post an advertised job based on what you just said? It's all a bunch of gibberish to me so trying to understand what the job is and what it requires helps me a lot lol.

Cheers

Stuff like that, generally speaking you can get away with core linux knowledge and some knowledge of most the technologies they are offering, No-one will ever have 100% as every organisation uses different tools.

I'd recommend LPIC 101/102 201/202 , some courses on Ansible/Docker and Bash.

I got really lucky and started @ 123-reg domain support and somehow landed myself a 2nd line job for a managed hosting company (When i had zero Linux experience), learnt it all on the job and moved on from there.

A https://linuxacademy.com/ subscription will be invaluable to you.