50 Meg Virgin Internet?

Skibadee

That Vial skibadee lolol
Banned
Mar 24, 2003
Recently we downgraded our net to 10meg fibre optic (from 20 meg) Im happy atm with my download speeds and gaming performance, however - since Samuel L Jackson has been banging on about ''The mother of all broadbands'' im interested in getting 50 MB Broadband.

Has anyone on these forums actually upgraded to 50MB, i heard its £50 a month (the price isnt an issue) Was just looking for some feedback before deciding on upgrading or not.

~Webby~

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 6, 2004
Manchester
Warlock on forums (Sic) has got it, dont think id get it though since Virgin are ****.

Actually he might not have, but for some reason im sure ive seen someone say he has lol >.<..

lifco

Untrusted Member
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 6, 2004
UK/Italy
Get a cloned modem from ebay and do a mac trade with someone out of your area for the 50 and just use the basic tv pak

Simple

lif

forspinki

Legend
Legendary
Oct 23, 2006
Handan, China
my friend has it and only gets 27-29 (which is still good) but oviously its almost half of what there advertising and he lives real close to his exchange

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
I have upto 8meg broadband but only get 3, so say if I went for 10 or 20 would I still only get 3?

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
I'm on 24meg I get;

DownStream Connection Speed 13485 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1790 kbps

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
I have upto 8meg broadband but only get 3, so say if I went for 10 or 20 would I still only get 3?

I think thats down to the wiring you have? Im sure somebody said to me that all this fibreoptic mumble jumble is crap. As they dont actually use fibreoptics to link the intenret from the road or whatever to your house. Could anybody confirm this?

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
I think thats down to the wiring you have? Im sure somebody said to me that all this fibreoptic mumble jumble is crap. As they dont actually use fibreoptics to link the intenret from the road or whatever to your house. Could anybody confirm this?

I does limit it but having fibre optic still makes alot of diff compared to old copper telephone wires.

TopToker

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 25, 2007
my friend has it and only gets 27-29 (which is still good) but oviously its almost half of what there advertising and he lives real close to his exchange

thats nothing todo with cable, adsl is effected from how far u live from ur exchange

Geordiehc

Mad Dog Geo
VIP
Jul 4, 2007
Redditch, UK
With Virgin massively cracking down on the fair use policy crap theres no point having over like 8 mb lol coz all u need it for is web pages etc which dont take much because if u use your 50mbps torrenting or w/e there just gonna smash ur speed down to practically dial up speed everyday lol

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
With Virgin massively cracking down on the fair use policy crap theres no point having over like 8 mb lol coz all u need it for is web pages etc which dont take much because if u use your 50mbps torrenting or w/e there just gonna smash ur speed down to practically dial up speed everyday lol

I heard people saying this but mine never runs slow, and theres always atleast 4 machines connected to the internet at some time or another in our house, and i download about 100gb a month just myself

Skibadee

That Vial skibadee lolol
Banned
Mar 24, 2003

i dont download much, mainly gaming.

would this fair use policy effect this?

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I use torrents quite a lot, not to much though, and I always have about the same as i posted above.