Any real demand for Mir 2 anymore? What we had vs What we have

Join Discord

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
The last server I really saw most guilds group hunt levelling was Euro Reborn.

That's because Sanj actually tried something new lol.

He made PvP almost enforced by ensuring those who start the fight, stay in the fight. The mechanics of burns/poisons etc also made everything more interesting, and the entire database of mobs etc were all adjusted with a mixture of soloable mobs and group killable mobs.

Ultimately if servers leave the same caves, with the same mobs and the same bosses we've all seen for what...18 years? Of course everyone here can solo them :D Make adjustments like Sanj has, and it will create groups.

Simple example of a server that wasn't copy and pasted.

Of course it had issues but...least it was attempted and it's why his 2nd attempt is looking very appealing to people at the moment as it should be more refined (Assuming he doesn't go mad with additional changes on mechanics to players etc), and with pulling some ideas in from Lost Ark, it should be pretty cool.

I think a membership thing like RuneScape has would solve a lot of the problems. Like most of you mention the playerbase has become older and almost everyone has a (full-time) job so is able to pay between 5 and 10 euro's/gbp monthly. This way the server owners can still make some bucks if the server is good and players dont have an edge over other players.

Literally not a single person would pay for that lol. The amount of corruption and under table dealings that goes on is enough to never do this sort of thing for any server.

Last edited:

ipwnu

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 3, 2015
Issue I keep coming across is servers last for such a short time I really can’t be arsed to put the effort in to delete my kit every 2-3 months.

Don’t mind putting the hours in, or even the money but even these next “big” servers keep flopping.

Also massively can’t be arsed with sharding etc. you find a rare item and have to spend a fortune making it usable

Reactions: Pusha

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Mir is a competitive game, players will always try and get the edge on others in any way shape or form. Unfortunately in recent years, server owners have capitalized on this. Once one server started doing it, it was only natural that every subsequent server was going to follow suit.

My personal opinion is that it is slowly killing mir.
There are less casual players now than there has ever been and I completely understand why, I've not played any mir server for a very long time. I am a casual player and not willing to spend £££'s to stay competitive.

On a side note, some people may know. I have been working on and off on my server for the past 5-6 years. This thread is quite interesting for me as I've been having an internal fight about even including a gameshop or not.

Dk

I would think by not at least jumping on servers to play for few days, a week or so, you will miss learning from other pple's mistakes.

I would say go without GS altogether, maybe some folks will donate simply as a goodwill but you can't count on that and need to be in a position to finance hosting the server. I imagine some servers in past were put up by those who can well afford to keep them online without income from GS but inevitably you get a heap of ^&* from immature players and that makes you feel stupid doing that very fast. I mean its easier to catch a flak if you are getting paid for your efforts.

But I don't think going without GS will have any impact on future servers even just considering doing the same. Also mir scene is changing but not dying, lets hope that in the longer run, those small servers with realistic ambition of staying online for several months (like I imagine yours would be) will keep cropping up. My best mir experience was on such servers. Of the bigger ones, Ben's high rates were also memorable.

IMO the worst servers are those that strip mir down to direct teleporting to caves, with minimal if any outdoor map playing and predictable linear kit improvement every x levels, rinse and repeat progression. But even just jumping on those for a bit is better than just standing by and decrying the server scene.

ibby

I'm a massive prick
Dedicated Member
Jan 10, 2017
Mir won’t be the same anymore, no one has the time/trust to put effort into a server that they know will probably die, artificial was one of mirs last hopes imo, gms completely ruined the server by ghosting everything not fixing broken things untill it broke the game

In terms of P2W, it’s the levellers, the 60% of causals if not more cannot be ****ed to attempt to compete with 24/7 lvlers which cost what? £15-20 a day? The gap becomes too big and then there’s just massacres in pvp which just make ppl cba

Not much u can do to combat it either other than set level caps… now mirs just for quick fix fun and pretty much it, I can only really see chronicles reviving Mir and pulling users back, apoc had a really good thing going but few untouched major ****ups killed it, communication included along with arti

It’s why I prefer high rates now, quick fun, longevity don’t last anymore.. ppl r snowflakes quit over dropping 1 item
Bk in the day you’d have things worth multiple 100’s if not 1000’s, now the rare **** ain’t even worth much but soon as ppl get it dropped it’s sold rofl or If they drop insta quit
Also with a GS there’s no issue with having one but, for it to be successful you need a user base to have trust in the devs not to milk people, in which all the past servers have been pretty much so, gg = king = max gold if u have the money to waste

The best way to go would be cosmetics / subscription and few odd bits but:.. no Mir owner makes Mir without milking it anymore, most don’t rlly give a **** about the game because they know it’ll bring money in. because community desperate so they’ll pay. No loyal server owners/players anymore imo of the recent servers that have come up

Last edited:

wumatica

RandomHero
Golden Oldie
Nov 21, 2007
Literally not a single person would pay for that lol. The amount of corruption and under table dealings that goes on is enough to never do this sort of thing for any server.
ofc I was assuming that GM's wouldnt be corrupt (or trades of any kind wouldnt be made)

Pusha

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
I wish someone would bring out a system similar to Elder Scrolls online where you can opt in for a monthly subscription to get a little exp bonus, some gg, maybe access to quick teleports to cave entrances, faster skill leveling etc.

People will pay Amazon, Netflix, Disney monthly but don't want to pay a few quid to the average person who will appreciate it a lot more, to keep a server going that they will more than likely be spending hundred's if not thousands of hours on lol.

Reactions: wumatica

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Mir won’t be the same anymore, no one has the time/trust to put effort into a server that they know will probably die, artificial was one of mirs last hopes imo, gms completely ruined the server by ghosting everything not fixing broken things untill it broke the game

In terms of P2W, it’s the levellers, the 60% of causals if not more cannot be ****ed to attempt to compete with 24/7 lvlers which cost what? £15-20 a day? The gap becomes too big and then there’s just massacres in pvp which just make ppl cba

Not much u can do to combat it either other than set level caps… now mirs just for quick fix fun and pretty much it, I can only really see chronicles reviving Mir and pulling users back, apoc had a really good thing going but few untouched major ****ups killed it, communication included along with arti

It’s why I prefer high rates now, quick fun, longevity don’t last anymore.. ppl r snowflakes quit over dropping 1 item
Bk in the day you’d have things worth multiple 100’s if not 1000’s, now the rare **** ain’t even worth much but soon as ppl get it dropped it’s sold rofl or If they drop insta quit
Also with a GS there’s no issue with having one but, for it to be successful you need a user base to have trust in the devs not to milk people, in which all the past servers have been pretty much so, gg = king = max gold if u have the money to waste

The best way to go would be cosmetics / subscription and few odd bits but:.. no Mir owner makes Mir without milking it anymore, most don’t rlly give a **** about the game because they know it’ll bring money in. because community desperate so they’ll pay. No loyal server owners/players anymore imo of the recent servers that have come up
I preferred Mir to how Euro Mir was back in the days. There were fun times playing D server and nothing can bring back those days.

All that is left now is the memories. What's in now however is hobby of coding etc.

wumatica

RandomHero
Golden Oldie
Nov 21, 2007
I wish someone would bring out a system similar to Elder Scrolls online where you can opt in for a monthly subscription to get a little exp bonus, some gg, maybe access to quick teleports to cave entrances, faster skill leveling etc.

People will pay Amazon, Netflix, Disney monthly but don't want to pay a few quid to the average person who will appreciate it a lot more, to keep a server going that they will more than likely be spending hundred's if not thousands of hours on lol.

Subs are the way forward

WildGirl

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 26, 2013
Ethernet
My bet is that Wemade will add mir2/3 with "additions" to the Wemix platform in the fall of this year or later on.

Netskee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 17, 2013
Loughborough, UK
The idea of a monthly sub was floated a while back and pretty much completely trashed. Personally I think it's a good idea. Few quid a month and everyone has a level playing field. Idk what the average server nets per month but I'm guessing it's a hell of alot more than charging users 2-3 quid a month each. I think a server that did this would have a much longer life span tho as everyone including the casuals have invested into it

Reactions: Pusha and mistodon

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004

Difference is I don't have to worry about Amazon taking my Prime money and then turning off the service a week later. Or them giving out free amazon packages to their mates...actually they probably do, do that lol.

It's a lot easier to legally penalise a company like Amazon for ripping you off. Not so much a niche group of people on a forum, on a game we illegally stole/recreated, run by people you wouldn't trust to hold your pint while you go for a piss and probably would find it funny to not only drop your pint, but fill it back up with their own piss as a joke.

I've been ripped off by this forum, in game...more times than I can remember, I'm sure others could say the same...why on earth would I trust anyone to keep a server running just because i'm paying them a monthly sub lol.

As for the even playing field...it will never be an even playing field. There will be some shmuck that goes with his whale wallet in hand, offers a few hundred quid for that Sword he wanted in a drop that he lost, and the owner folds like an origami crane...there goes your even playing field.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
As for the even playing field...it will never be an even playing field. There will be some shmuck that goes with his whale wallet in hand, offers a few hundred quid for that Sword he wanted in a drop that he lost, and the owner folds like an origami crane...there goes your even playing field.

LOMCN should make a Union where if some one chargebacks on a server, gets banned on other servers.

Can't say that i lost when some one chargedback me but I would really ban some one on my server If i know that it chargedback on other servers.

Pain in the ass to document everything for paypal.

Before someone saying : Yeah but if you Report to Tai, the user will get Untrusted on LOMCN
No crap sherlock, is like Server owners have a DB linked on LOMCN where we can see LOMCN Username and Server CharName?

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Difference is I don't have to worry about Amazon taking my Prime money and then turning off the service a week later. Or them giving out free amazon packages to their mates...actually they probably do, do that lol.

It's a lot easier to legally penalise a company like Amazon for ripping you off. Not so much a niche group of people on a forum, on a game we illegally stole/recreated, run by people you wouldn't trust to hold your pint while you go for a piss and probably would find it funny to not only drop your pint, but fill it back up with their own piss as a joke.

I've been ripped off by this forum, in game...more times than I can remember, I'm sure others could say the same...why on earth would I trust anyone to keep a server running just because i'm paying them a monthly sub lol.

There was ebaying around. People used real life money to buy mir set / heaven armour.

Nowadays you have VC on Xbox One.

I'm not trusting anyone to run a server if I pay a monthly sub. Remember how people paid those who ran Euro Mir, only for Euro Mir to eventually go bonkers and then closing with no resolution on anything, including cheats.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Please try not to paint all server owners with the same tainted brush.
TPR and Ody were only released because I love working on the files, and people wanted to play the servers.

You can usually tell by the GameShop pricing and contents to what the servers intentions are.

I think a Monthly Sub only makes sense if its optional, instead of all the temporary pots, you can sub for a 'Sub buff' then use GS for cosmetics.
Alternatively, like I plan to do, is have all the GS available for GS or in game currency (atm anyway)

mistodon

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 16, 2003
Last 2 big servers released over past 12-15 or so months, you only have to look at GS for 30 seconds to see the server is put up with the intention off making as much cash out off the User base. , p2w in GS for the purpose off milking cash in that initial first 2 month period.. everyone understands dedi hosts are 50-150 a month, and that needs to be paid.. but these servers ain't putting in bare minimum to get dedi paid for, there doing it to make serious amounts off cash..

Reactions: ventus and zedina

Netskee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 17, 2013
Loughborough, UK
I see the argument with subs and server closure concerns. But I don't see the difference between a sub and paying x ammount over a month for gs items for the server to end in the same months cycle. Chances are you'd spend alot less on a sub than you would on a gs.

I think that with how long lomcn has been a central hub for euro mir that a lomcn approved tag should carry alot of weight and if a server host could gain this tag - through some kind of check list or something? Then that could/should give the user an indication of how much they're respected and trusted to provide a server with the users best intentions.

Servers will come and go as they always have. But for a server to have longevity, something needs to change imo and I think that something along these lines are the way forward.
Would love to hear others thoughts on this

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013

Really happens only on those big servers with population in hundreds, the smaller ones that start with several tenth pple, maybe 30 to 50 and that dwindle down to some 15 to 20 pple after some time don't seem to suffer from this.

Money grab server owners won't use subscription model, they need free model which gets much many more flies swooping down on the tempting gluey strip and most will get stuck on it and drop some cash.

Sub model won't make many to try the server in the first place, I know I wouldn't and besides sub is no guarantee it won't be p2w server in the end. Maybe sub should be done like it was on euro but not first seven days or level 20 but say, level 60 or basically the point where most servers introduce new stuff. Most are just euro stuff to start with, just tweaked with items variation, before you get to something really new.

Small servers have different pitfalls, there may be no big corruption or p2w but single owner running them can easily get tired of keeping them online if one day he gets from bed on wrong foot. The smaller the server population, the easier it gets to just shut it down abruptly for one reason or other.

Last edited:

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
I see the argument with subs and server closure concerns. But I don't see the difference between a sub and paying x ammount over a month for gs items for the server to end in the same months cycle. Chances are you'd spend alot less on a sub than you would on a gs.

I think that with how long lomcn has been a central hub for euro mir that a lomcn approved tag should carry alot of weight and if a server host could gain this tag - through some kind of check list or something? Then that could/should give the user an indication of how much they're respected and trusted to provide a server with the users best intentions.

Servers will come and go as they always have. But for a server to have longevity, something needs to change imo and I think that something along these lines are the way forward.
Would love to hear others thoughts on this

You're missing the point.

Essentially a sub would actually cost me more than a GS in the long run because they either run them into the ground on purpose to bring up V2 and onwards, or they are untrustworthy to begin with and your sub is just lining pockets more than they would with the table deals alone.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with multiple versions...but not when all the changes are "Oh i've added a new set of items and an NPC". Does that really warrant a whole 2nd version of the server? No...the goal is obviously to make more fresh money.

Sub model won't make many to try the server in the first place, I know I wouldn't and besides sub is no guarantee it won't be p2w server in the end. Maybe sub should be done like it was on euro but not first seven days or level 20 but say, level 60 or basically the point where most servers introduce new stuff. Most are just euro stuff to start with, just tweaked with items variation, before you get to something really new.

The "new stuff" only gets added in V2, V3 or V4 as I mentioned. So you might get new stuff, but it comes at the expense of your support to begin with.

Hell I think I saw someone advertising a new server BEFORE the existing one has even dropped off.

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
A lot of people want a P2W server. A lot.

Most mir players are not 15 anymore. They have jobs and limited free time. They want to enjoy the game without spending a **** ton of hours in it so they gladly pay. Some people literally refuse to play servers without a game shop.

Its funny you say that because a lot of the community were put off Mir4 with its Pay to progress features and the limited amount of free time was addressed by the fact there is auto play feature so you can keep up to some degree with no lifers who play 24/7.

Don't get me wrong I think that Mir4 is poorly managed by Wemade and leans way too heavily into Pay to progress that it would probably fall into Pay to win catagory now as they removed the main freemium offers from the shop and reduced drop rates on important materials in the game making players have to spend more to keep up with the whales.

But the PVP on it is quite good and looks decent in the endgame and the overall story was good not that most people read stories in MMORPG's they would rather blitz content then complain they have nothing to do now. also has a lot of features to make your character unique from others in terms of stats and the CC effects like Stun, Knockdown, Silience ect also add custom options for PVP.

Reactions: ventus and Omnibus

ipwnu

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 3, 2015
Big problem as well is people in Thailand etc levelling people for 2-3 quid an hour meaning they shoot ahead and get the better kit earlier, meaning they dominate the server.

For me servers just need to focus on what actually makes the servers fun, fighting people a similar level and kit. Level lock caves / make 2-3 different level locked version of caves, let the “elite” who have more time / money fight amongst themselves.

You end up with people who shot ahead getting boss timers and before you know it your getting 1vs4ed at a boss every time by someone who can 1-2 hit you.