Apples

Join Discord

LORDkeyser

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 11, 2003
i only ever hear these being called crap. are they good for ne thing ? im n00b to comps but sure a comp being that xpensive would not be useless. also is the new g4 as good as they make out?? also can u build macs ur self like normal pcs?

thanx

[ade]

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 30, 2003
Macs tend to be used primarily in graphic design roles, but you might find that a lot of software you might be used to will not run on Mac OS.

( I've never heard of a mir client for the mac for example )

I imagine if you were to build your own mac your choice of hardware would still be very limited compared to building a similar spec pc.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of some mac users myself...

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
u cant build ur own mac they dont sell parts for building one. maybe u could scramble some upgrades parts and crap but i wouldnt. macs arent very cool. in fact there lamo. stick to the pc becus if u needed a mac for something ud know about it, thats not being mean thats just saying its very limited on what it does for the home user.

[ade]

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 30, 2003
urbanfox said:
1) thats just someones project if u took the 20 seconds i did to read it, not main stream
2) as i said b4, that page is just scrambling together some upgrade parts. not a build urself an apple kit.

1) You obviously took less than 20 seconds to read it, since you didnt even get to the first line, which states

"Building your own G4 can be both fun and exciting, and in doing so you will join a small but growing group of computer enthusiasts."

i.e. This is not just one mans personal project.

2) If you'd bothered to look at the 'Places to obtain parts' link you'd see that all the parts can be bought brand new. Obviously there are going to be a limited number of suppliers, as macs are less popular than pcs by a long way, and there is a pretty standard spec for all g4 macs which makes customisation a bit limited.

The original question was 'can you build macs yourself', and the answer is yes.
Shopping around for different parts with varying specs is what makes building your own pc worthwhile. If it all came as a standard 'build your own apple kit', what would be the point?

If you ask me it's probably not worth the time, effort and expense building your own mac unless you're really enthusiastic about the idea.

Last edited: