Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Calling all PC gamers...

i require some advice.
My cousin wants to buy her little boy a gaming PC, however budget is fairly low.

Her aim is to build osmething basic yet can play Fortnite and then look at upgrading at a later date.

I'd say to look at Ryzen CPU and use the onboard graphics for now, adding a better card later?

Budget £450

I'm not up to speed with gaming rigs these days, so a little lost when it comes to motherboards, CPU's, Graphics etc :(

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Yeah, go for Ryzen. The iGPU is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the intel ones. It has to be a model that ends with G after the number, though, as those models are the only ones with iGPU.

Here's a comparison between an i9 9900K and a R5 2400G. The Vega 11 iGPU beats the Intel 640 by a lot.

Also a fornite gameplay with the 2400G iGPU:

To beat that iGPU you would need to buy a Nvidia 1030 for about 70-80€.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Yeah, go for Ryzen. The iGPU is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the intel ones. It has to be a model that ends with G after the number, though, as those models are the only ones with iGPU.

Here's a comparison between an i9 9900K and a R5 2400G. The Vega 11 iGPU beats the Intel 640 by a lot.

Also a fornite gameplay with the 2400G iGPU:

To beat that iGPU you would need to buy a Nvidia 1030 for about 70-80€.

check Linus tech tips, he often makes budget gaming rigs.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
Yeah will have to be AMD perfect for budget builds.
8gb ram
240GB SSD
EVGA bronze PSU is brilliant. ABOUT £39-£40?

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
For gaming Intel are the better choice, majority of games are single threaded so don't really take full advantage of Ryzen's performance on all threads, Intel come out on top in terms of single core performance, not by much.
But then you have to factor in the price, intel never win here.

Also make sure the Ryzen CPU actually has integrated graphics, the X versions don't include it if I remember correctly.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Calling all PC gamers...

i require some advice.
My cousin wants to buy her little boy a gaming PC, however budget is fairly low.

Her aim is to build osmething basic yet can play Fortnite and then look at upgrading at a later date.

I'd say to look at Ryzen CPU and use the onboard graphics for now, adding a better card later?

Budget £450

I'm not up to speed with gaming rigs these days, so a little lost when it comes to motherboards, CPU's, Graphics etc :(

I just bought my son a budget PC for the exact same thing. I paid £350 for an intel setup that has a 1060 in it. I have already set it up and it runs Fortnite pretty well.

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
GPU?

Oh and don't forget the kettle lead :p

Vega 8 iGPU.

I'd go for a Ryzen 5 2400G. With the 2200G you can't play fornite at more than 20-25 FPS while you can play at an average of 60 FPS with the 2400G.

Maybe change that Samsung SSD for a Crucial which is cheaper and a cheaper case.

Reactions: Skyline

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Heres a not bad little ryzen IGPU build, med settings you will get roughly 100fps @ 1080p on this, slightly under budget so you could maybe go with a larger M.2 SSD for windows and some games, a bigger hard drive for games library, a little better PSU. You could actually even go with the 3400G which will give you Vega 11 IGPU and a little more performance graphics wise and should come in right on budget.. options are really open to whatever you want. Should be a good little system. Case is just in there for a price really you can choose anything you like the look of as most are decent enough for airflow and cable management these days.

EDIT - Also just to let you know, i chose this board as its pretty much the best B450 board you will get an if you wanted to upgrade to a Ryzen 3600 or above and a discrete GPU in the future this will handle it perfectly.

Attachments

• Pc.png
    Pc.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions: Tai

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Oh aye building second hand you could easily get a better system and more than likely a better GPU than a 1060 if you get it off people who aren't diluded about their second hand parts prices. Easily 6700k/1070/16gb ram system for around that

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Cheers guys, but got it sorted.

Went for the MSI B450 Mortar MAX board as we got a smaller case (Limited room)
Ryzen 5 3400G CPU
480GB SSD
16GB RAM
Nice beefy PSU ready for when they add a decent GPU

Come to just over £450

Reactions: Alecs

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Good choices but will get you up and running decently for when you get a gpu to add to the system, not even gonna recommend anything as by the time you upgrade God knows what the market will look like.

I would personally go for this, good price on sale too and should run any single card you put near it.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
second hand?
Ye, it was second hand. I looked at buying all the parts brand new from my suppliers which would have made it a few hundred more expensive than a 2nd hand one. Sinse I was going to upgrade it gradually with him anyway, it was a no brainer just to get it 2nd hand.