Can anyone say...pwn?

smoochy boys on tour

Slanesh

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 6, 2004
Stoke, England
I've never been impressed by Sony... Been watching games on the PS2 and to be perfectly honest they're not exactly inspiring in any way, shape or form. People brag about its incredible graphics, and yet it looks rubbish compared to the GC and XBox games. I compared resident evil or teh GC and the PS2, and after playing it on the GC it actually hurt my eyes playing the same game on Sony's "super console".

I don't get the XBox though... Almsot all the games on the XBox are on the PC nowadays, so what's the godamned point? The GC just has a few games that look and play really well, but are mostly little kiddies games that last maybe 8 hours of playing (except Resident Evil which actually felt like a proper game should).

Although the new consoles look snazzy, they're never going to meet the standards of a well specc'd computer system. For 300 quid I'd rather upgrade my RAM and CPU so I can play the real hardcore games at top settings, like CS Source, Doom 3, Half Life 2 and Lineage 2.

I know there's an age difference between the consoles, but the idea of something that's good is that it will be future-proof, and with a bit of extra cash a PC cannot fall behind, wheras a console just dies after maybe 2 or 3 years...

I say PC for teh win! Consoles for teh bin!

PS: I have had all 3 consoles and my PS2 died twice (once the thing overheated afetr 3 hours of gameplay, and the other time the mainboard actually fell out of place and short-circuited), and my GC and XBox have both not yet failed me (although the XBox crashed once after about 5 hours gaming).

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
MiloFoxburr said:
The XBOX's big thing this generation was its Graphics and XBox Live coupled with a few big games, Its now gonna lose out when it comes to Graphics (although I admit the difference wont be much it will still be there) and all 3 next gen consoles are going online, Infact they will prob be both completly free unlike the Xbox360 where it appears you gotta pay to play people online

Your mis-informed there thats for sure, The PSP was so easy to develop for that developers demanded the PS3 use the same system so if anything games will come out for the ps3 first because of it is so easy to program for. And even then..., The PS2 was the hardest console to code for Yet um it has the most games, Just because a system is drastically different coding wise to another doesnt mean anything when it comes to developers

You don't have to pay with the free silver service, only for the gold service.

This is M$ on silver:

"Players can express their digital identity through their Gamer Profile; connect with friends anytime, anywhere through Xbox Live voice chat; send and receive text and voice message; and access Xbox Live Marketplace to download demos and trailers along with new game levels, maps, weapons, vehicles, skins, classic arcade and card and board games, community-created content, and more to the detachable Xbox 360 hard drive — all right out of the box at no extra cost. Composed of user-generated information such as Achievements (rewards players have earned in games), Gamerzone (style of play), and a custom-created Gamertile (a visual icon to represent the gamer online), the Gamer Profile makes it easy to connect with the Xbox Live community."

What are you talking about? The PS2/PSP are nothing compared to PS3... they don't use the cell processor... games for this platform require extensive exclusive programming to utilize the hardware.

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
urbanfox said:

What are you talking about? The PS2/PSP are nothing compared to PS3... they don't use the cell processor... games for this platform require extensive exclusive programming to utilize the hardware.

What has different processors got to do with anything? Sony could code a top level coder that would basically be the same as the PSP but compiles into PS3 base level code

Think about it its like coding in a language such as C++ or Java it compiles down into a language the processor can understand The same can be done with the Cell chip

Features of XBox Live Silver said:
"Players can express their digital identity through their Gamer Profile; connect with friends anytime, anywhere through Xbox Live voice chat; send and receive text and voice message; and access Xbox Live Marketplace to download demos and trailers along with new game levels, maps, weapons, vehicles, skins, classic arcade and card and board games, community-created content, and more to the detachable Xbox 360 hard drive — all right out of the box at no extra cost. Composed of user-generated information such as Achievements (rewards players have earned in games), Gamerzone (style of play), and a custom-created Gamertile (a visual icon to represent the gamer online), the Gamer Profile makes it easy to connect with the Xbox Live community."

Sorry Urban I dont see anything about actually playing against others, Thats what I was saying. And that seems to confirm it if its the only features

You can talk to your friends but not play against em lol crazy...

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
MiloFoxburr said:
What has different processors got to do with anything? Sony could code a top level coder that would basically be the same as the PSP but compiles into PS3 base level code

Think about it its like coding in a language such as C++ or Java it compiles down into a language the processor can understand The same can be done with the Cell chip

Sorry Urban I dont see anything about actually playing against others, Thats what I was saying. And that seems to confirm it if its the only features

You can talk to your friends but not play against em lol crazy...

Developing for the PS3 will be unlike developing for any other console, google it or something.

Also, my point was to show that XBOX ONLINE IS FREE because you said it was pay-to-play.

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
urbanfox said:
Developing for the PS3 will be unlike developing for any other console, google it or something.

Also, my point was to show that XBOX ONLINE IS FREE because you said it was pay-to-play.

Learn to read fully I said "unlike the Xbox360 where it appears you gotta pay to play people online" And from what the free service offers it appears that Im right lol

And every console is different than the others it hasnt stop multi format releases before and it wont stop it now

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
MiloFoxburr said:
Learn to read fully I said "unlike the Xbox360 where it appears you gotta pay to play people online" And from what the free service offers it appears that Im right lol

And every console is different than the others it hasnt stop multi format releases before and it wont stop it now

But you don't have to pay to play online....

Your not understanding what I am saying.. the Cell is drasticly different from the current PS2/Xbox/Xbox 360, the programming is very unique for just that system.

SkyDragon

.::Mario Ftw::.
Golden Oldie
Sep 10, 2004
West-Yorkshire :)
i googled the ps3 and came up with a few diff images of it, which is the real ps3? i got a ps2 and i like it but i wud prefer a xbox :)

Stop

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 8, 2005
SkyDragon said:
i googled the ps3 and came up with a few diff images of it, which is the real ps3?

How the fk should we know? wait till E3 (17th may i think it is).

HolyCow

SkyDragon said:
i googled the ps3 and came up with a few diff images of it, which is the real ps3? i got a ps2 and i like it but i wud prefer a xbox :)
ALL images of the PS3 that are floating around at the moment are just fan-made impressions of what they think it might look like. In other words, they're fakes.

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
urbanfox said:
But you don't have to pay to play online....

Your not understanding what I am saying.. the Cell is drasticly different from the current PS2/Xbox/Xbox 360, the programming is very unique for just that system.

Features of XBox Live Silver said:

Where there urban do you see "play against others" I dont, I see the option to talk to them and access the XBox Live MarketPlace Theres no option to actually for example go and play Perfect Dark Zero against 20 people

The option to play others in games isnt a feature of the basic package according to that.

And Urban just because a system is drastically different to code for doesnt make it harder It could and maybe the easiest system to code for + For all we know the nintendo console could be just as drastically different

-Fake Edit-

Quoted from Engadget

Features for Gold service
* Also for Silver
# Also for Offline

- Seamless transition to Xbox Live account from Xbox to Xbox 360
- Access to MMOs (additional fees may apply) *
- Free Xbox Live weekends *
- Multiplayer online gameplay
- Motto for gamer profile * #
- Personalized look for Xbox System Guide * #
- Offline achievments * #
- Online achievements *
- Access to other players’ Gamer cards via Live *
- Cumulative gamer score * #
- Location/language profile * #
- Reputation *
- Enahnced matchmaking using above
- Skill level matchmaking
- Gameplay style profile (casual, competitive, etc.)
- Recent players list *
- Free and premium download game content *
- Free and premium downloadable movies, music, tv *
- Downloadable demos/trailers *
- Microtransactions *
- Custom playlist in every game * #
- Play music from portable devices * #
- View images from digital camera * #
- Strem media from Windows XP * #
- Interactive screen savers * #
- Track info for CDs * #
- Communication with voice, video or text *

Note the things I marked in bold...
Multiplayer online gameplay is not included in the basic Sliver package. Meaning therefore you gotta pay for it

SkyDragon

.::Mario Ftw::.
Golden Oldie
Sep 10, 2004
West-Yorkshire :)
HolyCow said:
ALL images of the PS3 that are floating around at the moment are just fan-made impressions of what they think it might look like. In other words, they're fakes.

cheers :) lol hate u wonder why you get banned you flame all the time....i just thought someone might know all i wonted as a nice reply like holy's :wavee:

Stop

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 8, 2005
On the heels of the Xbox 360 (TM) video game and entertainment system worldwide premiere on MTV last week, Microsoft Corp. released a flurry of announcements tonight to a packed house at the Shrine Auditorium. Bolstering the promise that Xbox 360 immerses players at the center of the most powerful next-generation games and entertainment experiences, the company revealed that Square Enix Co. Ltd. -- an industry-leading developer and publisher of the world-renowned "FINAL FANTASY®" series, which has sold more than 60 million units worldwide -- will release "FINAL FANTASY XI" for Xbox 360 and Xbox Live (TM) . "FINAL FANTASY XI" is just the beginning: Square Enix will work closely with Microsoft on Xbox 360 and Xbox Live .

The company also announced Xbox 360 will be backward-compatible with top-selling Xbox games. In addition, more than 160 games are in development for Xbox 360, with 25 to 40 games slated for release this calendar year. All are optimized for high-definition output (720p and 1080i).

Some more news about the Xbox and some from Square Enix.

Full press release found here

SkyDragon said:
cheers :) lol hate u wonder why you get banned you flame all the time....i just thought someone might know all i wonted as a nice reply like holy's :wavee:

I don't wonder why i get banned, i know exactly why i get banned, but doesn't mean im going to stop anytime soon, not exactly hard to make a new account.

Also stay ontopic, Milo has a thread for the PS3, n00b.

:doggy!:

Last edited: