Coding and development certifications

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Hey

What are the best certifications to take for Coding or Development?

Dev Ops I'm quite keen to pursue but definitely Development.

What are the foundations to look out for?

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Not quite sure on the coding side of the world. It's way beyond my capabilities!
But I would suggest you first choose a language you want to learn and what kind of role you want...

E.g. C# and you want to be able to work and build apps etc using C#
Or maybe you want to go down the Database side of things and learn SQL to become an analyst.

Others like @Far @Lilcooldoode may be able to advise.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
There are no certifications afaik.

There used to be a few Microsoft ones, like passing c# and VB.net tests - but no company looks out for them.

You've just gotta put in the hours and learn it, no exams needed.

Reactions: Omnibus

Jev

ғᴜᴄᴋɪɴɢ ᴊᴇᴠ
Staff member
May 16, 2017
Worthing, West Sussex
Was told recently by a friend who went to uni for software development.

He said
"Even if you don't have the qualifications, email companies and offer to volunteer 1 day a week for them, Once you've got your foot in the door you could be walking out with a job in your hand and even if you didn't, a reference and even some experience which is highly sought after in the IT side of jobs."

Best of luck and please do keep us updated.

• Love

booHA

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 7, 2010
I recently changed from construction to IT after moving to Australia three years ago. 31 years old now was in construction since I was 16, so it was a significant change. I started a Cert 4 in IT(Programming), which definitely helped get me my first job. They could see I invested in the career change. If you are doing a career change, it shows people you are committed if you take on some studying in that field.

Reactions: Martyn and Omnibus

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
I recently changed from construction to IT after moving to Australia three years ago. 31 years old now was in construction since I was 16, so it was a significant change. I started a Cert 4 in IT(Programming), which definitely helped get me my first job. They could see I invested in the career change. If you are doing a career change, it shows people you are committed if you take on some studying in that field.
That's an amazing milestone you have done dude.

Just had a conversation this afternoon to advise me to look into Sandbox.

I am quite passionate about SQL.

Reactions: Jev

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
You've gone from DevOps to Development to DBA all within a single thread. I'd find you what you truely want to do first, as they're 3 very different careers.

You can learn SQL in a few hours - its not really something you base a career on (as every Dev/DBA/DevOps should know SQL as standard).

I've never heard of "Sandbox" - unless you just mean the environment itself (a platform to test on prior to going to production)

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
You can learn SQL in a few hours - its not really something you base a career on (as every Dev/DBA/DevOps should know SQL as standard).

I have to disagree. You can learn the basics in a few hours but that's far, far from being a DBA. I even know people with years of SQL experience (including myself) who are not close to being a DBA.

Reactions: CraZyEriK

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I have to disagree. You can learn the basics in a few hours but that's far, far from being a DBA. I even know people with years of SQL experience (including myself) who are not close to being a DBA.
That's my point. Knowing sql alone is not something you can make a career on, it's a very simple language to learn. There's alot more to being a DBA.

Reactions: Alecs and Omnibus