Convert

Join Discord

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
What is the benefit of the Convert Folder? (factual comments plz)

Unless you are reusing the Convert files for various NPC's I can't really see the point in it, why not just put it all into 1 script. (Apart from making each file shorter but more of them).

/Mick

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
I often wondered that - maybe they (official game people) use it to keep the game 'clean'. No idea what so ever.

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
It would make sense if it loaded the Convert files every time they were clicked on (so you can change them without have to reload) but it loads everything up in 1 go.

But I would think that loading 2 (at least) files up (2nd file being loaded multiple times in most scripts) would slow the server starting process.

I am currently rewriting every script to do away with the Convert Folder apart from for use with NPC's that use common #SAY sections. i.e. all Weapon guys will load up the standard script from the 01_Weapon_Stnd.txt file but inside each NPC's main file will have different details, i.e. Selling Different weapons, doing different quests etc.

This should make the total file size of the Envir folder alot smaller (no real benefit) and will make it alot easier to read the various scripts without having to load up loads of different text files to follow a script through. I made the Lotto system completely English (real English) for Xtreme and I had to load 9 documents up in 1 go to follow it all through, seemed completely idiotic way of working UNLESS it provided some so far unseen benefit.

Another benefit I have thought of is being able to change the language of the files without having to sift through loads of scripts or even having to understand them, the glitch in that way of thinking is that there are loads of scripts that do not use the Convert Folder and therefore everything would have to be checked anyway.

Anyway, just some thoughts, anyone else?

/Mick

username

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 7, 2005
Most of the scripts that don't use the convert folder were written by private server owners. The main reason for having a convert folder is probably to make it easier to translate the text and sell the files in a different language version. The people hired to do the translation only need the text file from convert folder without the code.

Why not write a program able to merge/split code and text into 1/2 file(s)? :)

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
Good idea, I may do that if you think it would be helpful. It is more complicated than it sounds as you have to rewrite the links in each file too.