Request Crystal Monster Count

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
So I’m upto 72 Areas, In your eyes what is TOO much “monster count” on a crystal server?

Being my first server I don’t want it to bite me too hard having to many mobs and causing lag spikes because of if I can help it.

When I started I wiped of 60k mob count and re started my own shiz. Some servers I’ve played in the past have had lag spikes to do with spawns I’m sure....any Guidance appreciated at this stage before I add them all.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
around 50-100k i think.
i remember DarkZone using a overkill host for 20-30 online due huge amount of mobs.

Upvote 0

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
around 50-100k i think.
i remember DarkZone using a overkill host for 20-30 online due huge amount of mobs.

I can go big on Host, plan to anyways, do you know how much DarkZones host cost?

I’m also trying to figure out is it better to individually do the respawns in small clusters to guarantee they all spawn, or do mass spawns where some fail and are stored and retried.

Upvote 0

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
I can go big on Host, plan to anyways, do you know how much DarkZones host cost?

I’m also trying to figure out is it better to individually do the respawns in small clusters to guarantee they all spawn, or do mass spawns where some fail and are stored and retried.

Honestly it depends what AI you use on the monsters.
It cant match 100 mobs with simple AI like chicken with 10 mobs that got a higher AI consumption.

Monsters and Monsters Respawn consumes lots of Ram tho.

Reactions: Hercules
Upvote 0

Chriz

Captain Lurker
VIP
Mar 24, 2003
LOMCN
The biggest issues with mass mobs on crystal is actually the re-spawn routine - in how it looks for a valid slot to spawn. When 10k's of mobs are being killed by alot of players and constantly RS'ing it can cause the main loop to hang while it brute-forces valid re spawn locations.

We effectively cache valid respawn spots on Artificial, and just randomly pull one which is much more CPU efficient but a little more ram hungry.

We can run with over couple million monsters without a problem ;) (other than being over ran lmao, spawn multiplier can be fun :D)

Upvote 0

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
The biggest issues with mass mobs on crystal is actually the re-spawn routine - in how it looks for a valid slot to spawn. When 10k's of mobs are being killed by alot of players and constantly RS'ing it can cause the main loop to hang while it brute-forces valid re spawn locations.

We effectively cache valid respawn spots on Artificial, and just randomly pull one which is much more CPU efficient but a little more ram hungry.

We can run with over couple million monsters without a problem ;) (other than being over ran lmao, spawn multiplier can be fun :D)

I believe Crystal was changed ages ago to cache valid spawn coords for players teleporting (instead of just trying within a boundry 10 times). If this wasn't applied to monster spawns too for whatever reason then it probably should tbh.

Upvote 0

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda

Would you say it would be better then for me to continue small clusters that I am pretty certain will always spawn, it’s time consuming but I don’t mind as I’ve done 25 areas like this already.

Then spread the respawn times having them not all set the same “like all at 6 mins” (more like 3s 4s 5s etc)

Upvote 0

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
It will always be better to have consistent in-bound spawns. Of course.

You could go even further if you wanted and simply clear maps that aren't being used.
- I use a lot of instance-based content, so they don't actually exist until someone creates them. They do their thing and then it's discarded.

Upvote 0

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
It will always be better to have consistent in-bound spawns. Of course.

You could go even further if you wanted and simply clear maps that aren't being used.
- I use a lot of instance-based content, so they don't actually exist until someone creates them. They do their thing and then it's discarded.

that’s a good shout, my game consists of a story base at first that requires ppl to follow a path for the first half of the content so I could literally spawn the first half of the server only at first then have all my spawns for the 2nd half ready to go once ppl get close
Post automatically merged:

Although as I’ve reduced most caves to 3 floors to encourage ppl to see each other I’m looking at around 40k mobs anyways so coupled with an expensive host I’m looking pretty

Upvote 0

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
It is purely down to the mass killing and spawning.
Areas need to populate according to popularity of the area.

So on launch starting areas have quicker spawns and larger spawns, as that area gets phased out, knock back the spawn times and quantity of the mobs (as they aren't as sought after).

Staggering spawns will also help, if you want 100 omas in 1 set of coords, set 50 to spawn every X mins and 50 to spawn every Y mins under the same coord ranges.

There are tons of ways to alleviate it, but the main thing isn't how much overall you have, its how big areas can be cleaned of a few k mobs and then it all trys to spawn at once (an issue we had with event maps, as I forgot to update our spawn system with the new valid points - so if an event map got cleared, it'd try spawn a couple of K mobs at the same time) - was ok after I updated it...but that's the issue you will come across

Upvote 0

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
Although as I’ve reduced most caves to 3 floors to encourage ppl to see each other

Jesus and other traitorous Wiz solo hermits nerfed! ;D

When I said lvled mobs were one of the best introductions to Private Mir I actually meant it,
because
Mass spawns favor Wizards far too heavily, where as, quality single target mobs (with some speed, nasty abilities), promote more use of the other classes!

Just my 2 cents coming off topic a tad ;p

Upvote 0

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
It is purely down to the mass killing and spawning.
Areas need to populate according to popularity of the area.

So on launch starting areas have quicker spawns and larger spawns, as that area gets phased out, knock back the spawn times and quantity of the mobs (as they aren't as sought after).

Staggering spawns will also help, if you want 100 omas in 1 set of coords, set 50 to spawn every X mins and 50 to spawn every Y mins under the same coord ranges.

There are tons of ways to alleviate it, but the main thing isn't how much overall you have, its how big areas can be cleaned of a few k mobs and then it all trys to spawn at once (an issue we had with event maps, as I forgot to update our spawn system with the new valid points - so if an event map got cleared, it'd try spawn a couple of K mobs at the same time) - was ok after I updated it...but that's the issue you will come across

All makes sense mate, think it’s going to be a case of ticking all these areas...

> Individual small clusters
> Span the respawn times within same coords
> Leave anything 50+ out but ready to go once ppl hit 40
> Reduce low areas when the time comes
> Get a decent host

What not to do...”said map” “spawn 400 same mob same timer” move on lol
Post automatically merged:

When I said lvled mobs were one of the best introductions to Private Mir I actually meant it,
because
Mass spawns favor Wizards far too heavily, where as, quality single target mobs (with some speed, nasty abilities), promote more use of the other classes!

Your gonna bump into ppl here it’s gonna be tasty 😋

Haha yeah jesus won’t have a place here with lvling ppl, maybe in the 2nd half content but the first half is aimed at everybody and I mean everybody.

Anyone can roll up and complete the first half...solo aswell with the right lvl and kit accuired, (harder bits will be optional in the first half)

They can take their time or group up and rush it like some ppl like to do, the 2nd half has got as much love and detail in it from launch, with quests and more of a hardcore approach.

They can either say “completed that first part” “was really good” and leave it or step into the new adventure and see what else is in store 👍🏻

One thing that won’t happen is a catch up to rush the beginning, it will remain in place for ppl to enjoy for however long ppl keep coming in at their own pace and enjoy the dialogue

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014

because

Yeah you brought this to my attention and adding a system like this into my source :D
Going to take an age to get the right level spawn rates right, and drops n such increased but once its done it will be awesome!

also @Hercules should do the trick if you take all of these into account :)

• Love
Upvote 0

Pete107

🐑[E]dens-[E]lite🐑
Developer
Dec 10, 2003
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
Best way to ensure the server runs as smooth as possible is not to do silly ranges on re-spawns, try maximize the valid locations while minimizing the invalid, the problem with re-spawns on Crystal is as people have said, it doesn't cache the good locations like Teleport does.

You're essentially creating a walk map of each map which are super cool and you can make a very good spawn generator with it, that's something different though.

And yeah it will be heavier on the RAM but the positive outweighs the negative, RAM is a lot cheaper and easily expandable providing the host allows hardware change.

Reactions: Piff1 and Hercules
Upvote 0

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Can anyone remember DayDies server EvilMir, There was a cave on there it was a BDD lane style map like the room before hitting IZT for example and every like 100 step's you'd just get a Cluster of like 200 mobs spawned on top of each other in a pile was so strange, could just run through the casting 1 BA every pile and killing 200 Mobs. Wonder if he did that on purpose or just ****ed up xD

Was Raking cats if anybody remembers the cave.

Upvote 0