Drops vs LootBoxes

Join Discord

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
So after playing OldSkool, the majority Lootbox approach was quite a different feel (never played a server that way before)

It was quite a refreshing feel to open boxes, rather than just getting stuff just dropping on the floor as it stands.

Out of pure curiosity what do you guys prefer?

Drops:
All Items drop separately on the floor

Loot Boxes
Majority of items are gained in loot boxes (with rares being dropped directly on the floor)

Hybrid
Normal Monsters drop normally, bosses drop loot boxes (or vice versa)

Reactions: Sanjian

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
i quite liked the concept tbh, i do like a bit of rng in my gameplay.

the term lootbox tho.. not my choice of wording personally, i would go with smoething else

Vyse

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 29, 2004
Manchester/Stockport
I don't mind a bit of RNG myself and personally I think the GM missed a beat with them on old school.

I would have had the basic ones drop from standard monsters and subs/bosses drop class one's. Same thing could have been done with cash shop any class one's sell for gold but large amounts and class one's cost GG. People would have still purchaced the GG one's to avoid getting a taoist item on a warrior or vise versa.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
I can see the appeal to it for setting up drops would be nice and organised with a mass copy into the various lvl boxes.

Played OS til 172 and I felt in the end I missed the items on the floor.

I’ve gone for the standard approach items on floor aswell as like FF7 - mythical chests that players have to find.

Their scattered, long respawn times and have a massive unique drop file.

Loot boxes were a fun concept tho, I think the fact that bosses were so messed up in terms of not dropping any that I didn’t get to see the full potential of them when i stopped playing.

Seanofsmeg

Staff member
Apr 6, 2015
Think a bit of both could be a winner. Was nice to be able to get and farm gear but maybe as the suggestion above from Sanjian maybe different rarity so you can get yourself gear to get you through the levels but the real stuff still coming from the boss boxes.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Think a bit of both could be a winner. Was nice to be able to get and farm gear but maybe as the suggestion above from Sanjian maybe different rarity so you can get yourself gear to get you through the levels but the real stuff still coming from the boss boxes.

I was always thinking of standard items drop (so ruby, dring, plat ring etc from normal monsters)
But then you could get say a RingLootBox(25-30) which could drop random variants of those rings (as base stat values) so it could give you a violet ring with MC0-9 (and thats its base) so it can go further with gems n Qual orbs

Belle

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
May 25, 2019
I was always thinking of standard items drop (so ruby, dring, plat ring etc from normal monsters)
But then you could get say a RingLootBox(25-30) which could drop random variants of those rings (as base stat values) so it could give you a violet ring with MC0-9 (and thats its base) so it can go further with gems n Qual orbs
The way u have it on prim, maybe u cud of added another set of boxes with set items for classes in another cave and not just numa, defence kit in numa, attack kit in another place, the dark/light kits were wasted imo

Personally don’t like the way it is on oldskool

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I didn't mind the concept but the reality was that you'd end up with a bag full of stuff you don't want, whereas if it was just standard drops on floor you can choose what to bother picking up or not.

So... no

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
I tell you what, my dream of hitting Wizard's hard and those handful of high lvl solo'ers on quiet times of the day can come true with systems in question.

You could maintain Mir's absolute masses of mobs in those certain areas for fun/exp/challenge sake but have normal white mobs never drop anything.

Instead, have levelled monsters in your game, all lvled mobs drop (1-7) and you indeed have to loot them, additionally however there is a rare chance of mass drop (keeping a cool and fun part of Mir's history).

If higher lvled mobs have strong resistances and run faster then it's sorted, Good and strong solo'ing player and Wizards would barely hurt the economy as bad as they currently do on every private.

Also give Sin's passively 'Quick Steal' so that they loot mobs immediately on last hit (that they own!) and I'd say then the situation would be perfect (The PvE strugglers!).

Akaras

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I like loot explosions... but maybe a "lootbox" in the mix would be quite fun to stop and open (maybe you need to also find a key in the same area?)

like a mob drops an old jewelry box you fight a bit more and find a key and when the box is opened it either has a bit of cash or a random ring/brace/necklace from that areas level range ...or nothing (maybe it was an old broken music box and just junk)

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Thanks for all the feedback,

Think I am going to consolidate my drops to make it a lot manageable

Common items (great axes, jmaces etc) are dropped via global drops (based of mob and player level) - so no monster drop files dont need to be cluttered with all the crap, and high levels no longer see common crap. (also means that high levels dont get items from low level areas)

Rare+ Items are obtained via lootboxes (So bosses can drop RareWeaponLootBox, LegendaryRingLootBox etc) - be varying tiers depending on level.
and then Gems, Orbs and Crafting Materials will be in a generic lootbox each (So GemBag, OrbBag, CraftingBox)

So a RareRingBox (under our new features) would allow you to get multiple variants of rare rings, so you can get VioletRing MC0-5(up to MC0-8), other variants have AC/MAC etc - but these are all base values.
- Higher levels will have a common MC0-5 Ring to bridge the gap, so a VioletRing is good for a low level, but standard for a mid level.

Reactions: Hercules

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Agree with this, spent to much time on OS opening them and chucking away most of it to allow more bag space

Yeah. Now I stack them and open them when I'm in sz so I can sell what I don't need and keep the good stuff.

Xele

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Apr 10, 2017
Loot boxes are terrible and don't fit with the mir theme at all. One of the big attractions of mir is finding rare items, it makes it exciting, it makes it even more exciting when you're fighting people for bosses and you steal it from them or they steal it from you and you can see what drops (bragging rights). Loot boxes are more aimed at solo play too, you can simply just say the loot box you got with your group didn't drop anything and pocket any rares it might've given you.

I strongly disagree with loot boxes in a server and would never play one with them in personally.

Reactions: Belle

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
My initial iteration was because I hated the floor clutter that comes with having to drop potions.
This is how I set it up. And it worked pretty well at cleaning up the clutter. Resulting in a pack of mobs dropping a couple of loot boxes and an item or 2, instead of "*" + 50 potions.

Normal drops + 'loot boxes' containing;
- Potions! 10*
- Small chance of rarer items (Quality items / Crafting items / Bene's, etc)
- GS items (GG, Stat torches, exp potions, etc)

It does have a slight down-side tho, in that i didn't differenciate health from mana, so i would occasionally be left with a stack of 'useless' mana potions to drop.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
We are currently looking at a variant feature which means I wouldn't want lootboxes in such a general sense, not to go into the logistics, but items would drop with a set amount of points to allocate to stats (we can determine min/max stat values) but it means you could get tons of variations of the same item, meaning its worth checking items on the floor, loot boxes ruin the excitement of picking an item like a dragon ring up that might have rolled DC0-8 instead of DC0-4 (or DC0-4/Ac0-2/MAC0-2) for example

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
maybe you need to also find a key in the same area?
What if instead of a key, you clicked to open a box and it would pop up a panel with cryptic icons representing lock scheme, that you would need to click, select in right order for the box to open. Each unsuccessful try would run a random chance that could let you have next try, or trigger explosion and destroy the box and deal you some damage in the process (if you tried to open a higher level box on low lev char, the explosion could even kill you), or else simply return a message "the Lock has jammed" and it could be un-jammed only if your lock picking was above certain level.

There would be a new skill 'LockPicking' which would better your chance to avoid those mishaps depending on skill level (the skill would be leveled on successful box openings, each success would give some points towards the skill).

If someone might be interested to code it, I would point them to the game from which I took the idea for better illustration of the lock panel.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
What if instead of a key, you clicked to open a box and it would pop up a panel with cryptic icons representing lock scheme, that you would need to click, select in right order for the box to open. Each unsuccessful try would run a random chance that could let you have next try, or trigger explosion and destroy the box and deal you some damage in the process (if you tried to open a higher level box on low lev char, the explosion could even kill you), or else simply return a message "the Lock has jammed" and it could be un-jammed only if your lock picking was above certain level.

There would be a new skill 'LockPicking' which would better your chance to avoid those mishaps depending on skill level (the skill would be leveled on successful box openings, each success would give some points towards the skill).

If someone might be interested to code it, I would point them to the game from which I took the idea for better illustration of the lock panel.
I would add this if the person failed once, they would be @died.