Drops vs LootBoxes

smoochy boys on tour

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Loot boxes are terrible and don't fit with the mir theme at all.
How about a) making such boxes premium, that is exceptional and fairly rare, and b) only drop if a mob or a sub/boss is killed solo, in which case it would also be tailored to your class and level.

For example, I didn't like gold auto pick up when it started to be used on servers, but on high rate servers it makes sense (but the gold patches could be fewer and worth more). Maybe these boxes will replace floor drops on such servers before long too? Gold auto pickup detracts from pleasure gobbling it from the ground, sifting items that were dropped on ground for some nice added stat is another pleasure and also seeing the ground behind you strewn with drops and dead mobs is good. On some servers, dead mobs clear way too fast, happens in your view which is bad for game... but what you gonna do, except make your own server :D

Xele

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Apr 10, 2017
I just see no need for them, item drops are exciting enough, the practice of loot boxes that have been introduced to gaming over the last 10 years has been negative in my opinion, I hope it doesn't become the norm in mir.

Reactions: Belle

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I just see no need for them, item drops are exciting enough, the practice of loot boxes that have been introduced to gaming over the last 10 years has been negative in my opinion, I hope it doesn't become the norm in mir.

Agreed, I prefer other avenues after a day of procrastinating, however I do like Lootboxes for specific things, but like it was said before I think LootBox is incorrectly coined.

One thing I 100% I am going to utilize are GemBags, rather than a random Gem drop - as it allows GemBags to always retain value, where as some lesser gems lose value over time, but if StormGems are always worth money, it keeps the GemBag value up, as there is a chance to get one.

the feedback has helped a lot though! do appreciate a good constructive thread :D

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
personally think you are wasting your time asking because you'll never please everyone, which is what it seems you are trying to do.

you should do what you think is right and fun.... not what someone else tells you to do.

ps. your welcome for the idea

• Haha
Reactions: deano13

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
personally think you are wasting your time asking because you'll never please everyone, which is what it seems you are trying to do.

you should do what you think is right and fun.... not what someone else tells you to do.

There's nothing wrong in asking. Feedback from the community is always needed and if it generates a healthy debate it's even better.

Even big companies ****ed their games up because they wouldn't listen...

Mystickiller

Bored AF
Golden Oldie
Dec 24, 2003
Minnesota, USA

Your so much more fun when your not running a server :p

Agree with your statement though, no one will ever be pleased.

I personally think TreasureBox's should contain things like really rare items or GG only, everything elses up on gameshop at some point or is purchased through personal sales.

My idea was to always have really rare items drop, rarely. TB's to drop less rarely and to have to get a bunch of gg from TB to be able to purchase endgame/season gear. I love when "donation" currency can be used as real currency ingame. Just have to scale it properly.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014

100% agree, I just like to get peoples feedback, as people can even add to an idea to make it even better.

Also, we already had lootboxes in TPR, just your server inspired me to explore other avenues with it, so thank you :D

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
100% agree, I just like to get peoples feedback, as people can even add to an idea to make it even better.

Also, we already had lootboxes in TPR, just your server inspired me to explore other avenues with it, so thank you :D
lol I'm only messing. Seems to be a good theme on here sometimes when everyone is QQ that others stole their ideas.

I'm not against getting feedback, I'm just saying you'll never please everyone. Sometimes its best to just not listen and do what YOU think is best.

NightScare

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 11, 2005
Nottingham
im sure doing loot boxes will make doing drops easier.. It's a nightmare making a boss drop the right amount when you have 100+ items in the files...if thats condensed down into a single item.... You can just do 1/10 LootBox. - and it would be much more consistent on where you was aiming for.

I mean, 1/10 a boss dropping is a fair rate.. but trying to do that with 100+ items is difficult, as it rolls the dice for each item and then you end with 3 items dropping at once, them dropping way more, or you go too high and they never drop.

******* drop files.

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
Please me and you'll please everyone! 😎

@NightScare

Mir could do with a tinkering and swallow it's normal fanfare by doing the following:

Bosses have a rare as hell chance to drop
Link good loot to raid quests ie. make certain times of the week where you contest with players and then you end up getting lootboxes from the quests which have a decent chance of rares from there. This will help control the item progression of the server and also stop the 24/7 players from dominating a good bit less!

deano13

StopMeFast
Golden Oldie
Oct 31, 2004
London, England
It worked well on OS due the fact it’s a HR and items are pretty easy to come by, don’t think it’d work on an LR possibly a MR, it was refreshing to see imo, but I’m all for the traditional style Mir drops, probably why I like D3 and PoE so much as it reminds me of Mir in a way lol