EuroReborn (Custom Crystal)

• Remember! Never use the same account usernames and password across different servers!
smoochy boys on tour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
I dont see how lol
suley anyone can afford £3 a month if they wanted to play a server that has clearly had a lot of passion and thought put into it? I would much rather pay a sub than have a gameshop full of exp pots abd what not server owners have to fund it somehow imo subscriptions is the lesser of two evils.

Have not and will not ever pay a subscription to anyone who is accountable to no one lol.

Companies with sub models cannot just up and leave after 2 months of service without some huge financial and reputational risk...individuals running private servers can and many have done previously.

I even stopped donating to GSs straight out the gate until I feel like they aren't going to 180 the server within the first month lol.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
I actually agree and wouldn’t pay a sub for a 1/2/3 man private server, il happily donate tho if it’s decent and I play it. Any GM can confirm the fact I do donate 👍🏻 I do everytime.

It can’t be compared to a WOW sub or alike as that is a huge company that u can pretty much say “it will be around for ages”

I love your stuff @Sanjian it’s unique and well thought out, but do I trust that u won’t shut the gates after a month to play just yourself Or with a select group because of community trolls etc...I’m not sure on that 1, you seem very proud and you should be but I would re consider the sub and think up a really broad cosmetic GS 👌🏻

Reactions: Tai

ChaseyLane

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
WoW is old as *** too, what's ur point?

You actually think WoW is a modern game? this related to trump derangement syndrome?

my point is who is willing to pay for a game like Mir? Wow is also much bigger, thousands more players, my point clearly sailed over your head .... also there isn’t exactly a lack of other servers out or due out is there

StormHero

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 19, 2015
Id pay to play, paying in pennys tho, ill save em up.
Post automatically merged:

my point is who is willing to pay for a game like Mir? Wow is also much bigger, thousands more players, my point clearly sailed over your head .... also there isn’t exactly a lack of other servers out or due out is there
I pay £50 a year for fifa to play it for a month n get board of it, many people spend a fair bit on games, so £3-5 a month to know p2w wont be a issue will be attractive to many.

ChaseyLane

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Id pay to play, paying in pennys tho, ill save em up.
Post automatically merged:

I pay £50 a year for fifa to play it for a month n get board of it, many people spend a fair bit on games, so £3-5 a month to know p2w wont be a issue will be attractive to many.

since when was fifa subscription based? Lol

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
my whole philosophy is that if your prepared to pay £3 a month then you dont intend to be a complete dick on my server.

those that dont want to pay can go to other servers, there are plenty out there and there are plenty to choose from.

but those that play my server know i have never and will never be corrupted by money or items.

your paying £3 a month to help run the server, not to line my pockets, i dont care about money, i just cant affort to pay £60 a month for a decent ddos protected server, its that simple...

if people want to play the server then they will pay... if they dont... i actually dont care >.< that sounds harsh but i dont.

As it stands its not a p2p server anyway, the mechanics behind setting it up are beyond my skills so thats that ****ed :)

EDIT: I cant code it to work off a monthly sub so i dont know how im going to fund the server cost at this time...

Lionsm!ght

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2015
As it stands its not a p2p server anyway, the mechanics behind setting it up are beyond my skills so thats that ****ed :)

EDIT: I cant code it to work off a monthly sub so i dont know how im going to fund the server cost at this time...

Put a subscription date variable on the account dB.
Have a item from the gameshop for the £3-5, when that item is bought set the variable.
You could then also put in discounted subs for longer times if you wanted.

You will need to add a button on the char select screen that will open the gameshop and PayPal.

Add to the char select screen to display account expiry etc.

Then just check the date to see if its still active before allowing players to enter game.
Possibly allow characters up to a certain level to play without a sub if you want.

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
i have the server side subscription code all done, i just copied how the files work out extended bag space.

the problem i have is making it automated, currently gamegold is only added to accounts via NPC or scripted items.

which means you goto a site, pay lets say £5 on paypal, i then get the email, i then have to manually add the gamegold to the account, its a pain in the arse, Zircon had it working perfect, i might spend more time looking at the code to see if its possible to transfere it into crystal but at first glance i was lost... so meh :/

StormHero

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 19, 2015
since when was fifa subscription based? Lol
Never said it was sub based but u pay all up front to play... stops the free riders who expect gms to work 24/7 to support their free mir addiction, so they can spend the rest of their job seekers on weed and booze instead. Even tho £3 aint much, but ye only the free riders would probs be against it.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
Should just have " Player droped X item on X map " give no floor, gives the player way more chances to get back to his item.

StormHero

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 19, 2015
Should just have " Player droped X item on X map " give no floor, gives the player way more chances to get back to his item.
If anything id say just player dropped x item, dnt give any info as to where at all, 90% the time it be rather pk/or grp play anyways, so someone would pick up instantly and if you was solo, you would want a good chance of retrieving it.

Piff1

Legend
Dedicated Member
Apr 17, 2015
Africa
If anything id say just player dropped x item, dnt give any info as to where at all, 90% the time it be rather pk/or grp play anyways, so someone would pick up instantly and if you was solo, you would want a good chance of retrieving it.

Then it's ******* pointless, whats the point in it even popping up. It was fun on Marble giving the map it dropped on, created massive fights.

If it was just " Player droped X on X map " with no floor the player would get it back nearly everytime unless they died in a door way or some ****.

I'd rather the text just not pop up if it just Player dropped X item, i couldn't care less.

ChaseyLane

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Never said it was sub based but u pay all up front to play... stops the free riders who expect gms to work 24/7 to support their free mir addiction, so they can spend the rest of their job seekers on weed and booze instead. Even tho £3 aint much, but ye only the free riders would probs be against it.

mir is a dying community ... making a pay to play server will reduce the user count, is that really a smart move, surely you want the most people you can have playing the server..? You seem to be missing my point completely dude

Reactions: ventus

WelshSteel

Hallucination Critic
Dedicated Member
Dec 15, 2016
if you're a fan of a game you will pay for it, this arguement is ridiculous, free to play was introduced for many people who are new to the game and don't have any close friends to tell them exactly why they should play, there is a lot of people in that situation.

You're making it sound like there are new players to draw that need that "free to play" to experience if its worth it or not but Mir is an ancient game and the kids get drawn to fortnite, LoL, and the latest shooters like a moth to a flame there isn't anyone new with family and friends who haven't played Mir.

"newer players" will 90% of the time have family or close friends who have played Mir, they won't come from some Miracle of "****! I hate LoL matchmaking, I'm going to find an mmorpg...ooo this sounds good, *** the meta picks!". They will happily pay for monthly subscription because they know what they are getting into, you must be dirt fuking cheap, seriously, to be a tight git and not pay a Tesco's meal deal for a month of polished Mir with a fresh "grinding fiesta" community.

Btw WoW is pointless, you can't label a game has 1000s of players, honestly, when do you interact with these 1000s of players? It's not competitive and its not interactive, you just do your quests, queue with randoms for dungeons (is this League of legends?) and queue match again for PvP, I'm not interested in getting your point because you don't get THE POINT.

Filthy fuking casuals....

• Haha
Reactions: LOMValkyrie

Maverick

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 8, 2013
i like the gem shout, although if gems are not rare i see the spam being a problem.. but just like a rare drop a item that is gemmed to +3 or whatever is hard would be nice to see. helps the mir item trackers on your server know whats out there.. also when someone 2 weeks into a server has a full gemmed out kit people wouldnt be shocked or assume the GM made the items

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Ok here's my input on your subscription model idea/server running costs issue.

Firstly, without being rude, I think it's a bit cheeky to say you don't care if anyone wants to play your server or not as you're doing it for your own enjoyment, yet meanwhile expecting those people to fund the dedi.

Secondly I don't see how this subscription model is going to work long term. If you're charging £3 p/m and need to make £60, you're relying on at least 20 people subbing each month. This only secures you 1 month of your dedi host each time and I don't see that you can argue that this model offers players more security or peace of mind that the server won't disappear after a few months on the basis that if, say, after 3 months, half of your subscribers decide it's not for them and stop subbing, you're immediately in the lurch and the server is at risk with no backup funds in the kitty. And let's be real are you going to get more than 20 people subbing at any one time? I'd be shocked tbqh.

IMO you are better off going down the cosmetic gameshop route and putting the money aside in a separate PP account. This way you can make an influx of cash sales initially on launch when your server will undoubtedly be at its peak u/c wise and set the additional earnings aside for future dedi payments. Not only this but if, down the line, your u/c does drop, those left playing can make the conscious decision to make more gameshop purchases in order to keep it afloat. Plus nothing is stopping you from creating an optional subscription and/or accepting donations. At the end of the day people love to throw their money at Mir. Sure, most of them want something in return but not all.

There is an abundance of things you peddle in a gameshop that has no real game-changing effects or unfair advantages
  • Inventory space
  • Storage space
  • Mount skins
  • Pickup pets
  • Glamours (transmog, weapon skins, armour skins)
  • Titles
  • Glows (humeffects)
  • Hairstyles
  • Gender change
This is a proven cash generating model on tons of games. People want their characters to be unique. Apocalypse had everyone start out with the same hairstyle and charged £3 to change it. 20 people changing their hairstyle is one month DONE.

You can do the same with mounts. There's nothing game breaking about having more inventory or storage space (if you cap sunpots) but people want it. Your server is low rate so you surely have more weapon skins than you will ever need, so sell them as glamours. People want a cool title above their name...so make a list and sell them!

Honestly if you want help or input on any ideas hit me up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.