FAO: all developers/mir serv creators. Can any1 solve this?

<SOSO>

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 8, 2012
I think its one of the last things that still remain the same since beta 15 years ago.
The fact that if ur net went down or ur power , or u get bluescreen or restart , and so on...ur char doesnt disconnect immediately, and still stay in the game for few mins.
Can any1 solve this? Or is it that hard tht no1 can ? lol

thedeath

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 26, 2003
the problem is that lowering this time would basicaly get alot of ppl with lag spikes kicked out of the game.
fairly sure c# client already has a pretty fast 'timeout'.
if you bluescreen, your net goes down etc: the server will 'eventualy' send some info to you, and it has to wait for 'confirmation' (or no reply) before it can decide to kick you.
it's like sending a mail to a non excisting email adress, you dont exactly get an instant reply saying the mail failed to deliver, it takes some time for 'the internet' to figure out you're mailing an unkown adress

<SOSO>

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 8, 2012
Im pretty sure ppl have pretty fast connection speed nowdays, and are not laggy anymore..and I think tht most ppl would agree tht if u lagg for more thn 5 sec serv should auto-disconnect u (diminishing the chance to die/drop ).
Anyways ty for the answer. U've explained it so every1 can understand:)

Damian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Ravagers
Game Master
Jun 13, 2003
The solution is quite simple really, the server sends a ping to the client, the client then responds with a ping. If the server does not get it within an elapsed time frame, then the server can mark the player as ready for disconnecting.

Aldor

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 16, 2013
It's better that a character isn't instantly disconnected. I used to play a MMO called RF Online where your character would instantly be logged from game and this got abused by opponents using alt+F4 to avoid being PKed. Ambush from Knights of Shadow was famous for it :p