[Feedback Required] Map Transitions.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
First off, please forgive for all the graphical eyesores, I merely wanted to create a visual example.

What would people think of 'single large maps' where say for instance, Bichon, instead of teleporting into a separate map when entering cave door ways it would transition like the below (after the first floor it goes to new maps)

So you walk through the door (you can still see the outside but now you are in the cave...?
In my downtime I like to play around with maps and kinda want to create some new ones that people can use

4Ns7htA.png

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Doesn't this mean you can lure mobs out of the cave and also RT into the cave from the outside map?

Also, can you post stuff like this in the Mir2 section as it has nothing to do with Crystal thanks

edit: we even have a map section.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
It's a cool idea but I think it would need to be limited to a specific map for this specific purpose. Having all maps with this theme would make me feel like I'm playing a 2d scroller.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
you'd need to have a way to transition between light and dark, stop mobs from being lured, stop random teleporting etc

the files may start to struggle as you're putting lots more mobs / players / npcs / items on a single map - its got more to process in a single go.

in essence - i don't think its a really good idea, moving one map to another isn't a hindrance so you're just creating a gimmick for a lot of drawbacks.

Swoosh

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 24, 2017
London
Think I agree with Kori, its a nice idea but in essence would feel like a never ending scrolling map. Like PoE, just keep running and uncovering the map, feels kinda cheap and tacky. I like 'transporting' in to a cave.

That style you're attempting works alot better in 3D graphical games like WoW, because of the image and lighting rendering.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
If you just want the 'look' then it's pretty easy to do a seamless tansition. (Make the entrance and exit scene identical) Removes all the negative points, as you are actually loading a new map.

Only problem with this is you wouldn't be able to fight or see real-time on the respective 'sides'.

All in all, i don't think its worth the effort.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I remember someone having this idea about 5-8 yrs back, the thread is still around someplace, had essentially the same objections

you can make better case for transitions btw provinces, that is btw outdoor maps

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
I too made a similar suggestion when i was working on the files. After playing with a bunch of different iterations it just felt bad, there is no real benefit to it at all. Especially if you are going to use the usual transition for f2+ anyway.

Even with the provinces, there is no inherent benefit to having say, BW and Serpent Valley loaded all at once... it's not like we have 30s loading screens or similar to deal with. They are largely done in a blink.

Just do as above, modify the maps to have a seamless transition.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Past Bichon caves are different from all other caves in that they have entrances that show part of the area inside the cave before you enter and when you have entered you see outside area, but both are shown as a non-live picture (unlike what LB is suggesting) and not too good likeness, could have at least bothered to copy it faithfully

but those entrances are not real cave entrances, just passing barriers, so it makes sense

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Past Bichon caves are different from all other caves in that they have entrances that show part of the area inside the cave before you enter and when you have entered you see outside area, but both are shown as a non-live picture (unlike what LB is suggesting) and not too good likeness, could have at least bothered to copy it faithfully

but those entrances are not real cave entrances, just passing barriers, so it makes sense

Pb is not a cave, but a canyon so progression on this tyle maps works.

There are methods where this works on cave types to temples etc but due to the caves having roofs it doesnt work really well. When im back from holiday ill see if i got examples of this in different map types.

RME & Fox cave mix well as fox cave is actually RME A WitH colour masks and bottom walls are infsct identical, so have green rops.

Saying this... i have seen this done by person X working on server Y and its done on a small scale to a little hole in wall but visually needed lots of work to hide/show cave when inside/not inside etc

meijiz

Banned
Banned
May 17, 2017
I think it would be cool to implement battle royal mode into a mir as a daily event or something with reward etc. all the gears skills randomly spawn on the map some rare one goes into the supply crates