Suggestion Flash in the pan, easy going server.

Would you play a "flash in the pan" server

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No chance

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
If someone was to release a server, which you knew would be a flash in the pan server, but some fun for a few months, would you play it?

I'm talking a basic serve, no major new features, standard mir caves with some new ones thrown in for higher levels.
Levelling on the easier side, bosses spawning more often, kit not too hard to come by - I'm sure you get the gist by now.

PS I am NOT making such server, this is more a request for someone to make one. But also seeing what the general feeling around it is.

Sometimes I get the mir bug, which I know would only last a few months. So such server is right up my street knowing my playing time has massively decreased as I get older.

SPL1FF

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Banshee
Game Master
Mar 24, 2003
This sounds exactly what Oldskool was. Great fun and would happily play it again / something similar.

StormHero

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 19, 2015
Even tho most servers don't last long nowadays and i get bored pretty quick with mir, i still wouldn't want to play a server like you mentioned. Sounds more like cash cows where the owner has no intentions of making it last long, if they spent time to add some new features and wanted it to last, id be willing to play.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
I would probably want a bit more from a server I am playing.
I would like to think that the servers are actually planning 6months-year with patches etc, not releasing a server knowing it'll be gone in a few months.

Most servers dont last long, but I would never play a server I knew was going to die in a few months

On the flip side, if they did something similar to PoE where you have "Mir Standard" and "League Mir" then It'd be interesting;
League Mir (last 3-4 months, every league the server is reset BUT all your stuff is transferred to your "Mir Standard" account.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Forgot to mention, no game shop.
Just straight up fun.

I know there's running costs, but if someone could host on a decent spec with minimal cost! Big ask, but it's what I want haha

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Forgot to mention, no game shop.
Just straight up fun.

I know there's running costs, but if someone could host on a decent spec with minimal cost! Big ask, but it's what I want haha

Costs aren't an issue for me with hosting a server.
If I didn't have something big in the works already, and enough people wanted it I would've hosted this kind of server! haha

ventus

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
They are all flash in the pan servers now days, new ones opening soon :P

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
What your asking is for someone to spend months of there time and either on a home set up “open to ddos attack” or on a gaming dedi typically costing set up fees, license and running costs plus maybe code crash fixes.

Which costs upto a £1000 overall (this is what MirWorld cost me to run with no gameshop).

I don’t mind doing it but there Isn’t many ppl on here that are open to that kind of loss.

I would prefer to see a base Lomcn server either run by Lomcn or by taking on someone trusted to host one. “I’d do it for free if they wanted after Sparta but not sure what Lomcn aim is atm and if it’s Emerald 3D”

Something with euro maps and items lots of nostalgia and a place for the community to hang out.

Then the players can still go and play other custom servers but have this Lomcn base to fall back on and chat to friends and do some nostalgic grinding.

Imo it would have to be low rate with slight increased drop rates but not gold, pass me a VIP title and I’d set one up with no end limit to it after Sparta 😜

Last edited:

2fast2furious

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2004
What your asking is for someone to spend months of there time and either on a home set up “open to ddos attack” or on a gaming dedi typically costing set up fees, license and running costs plus maybe code crash fixes.

Which costs upto a £1000 overall (this is what MirWorld cost me to run with no gameshop).

I don’t mind doing it but there Isn’t many ppl on here that are open to that kind of loss.

I would prefer to see a base Lomcn server either run by Lomcn or by taking on someone trusted to host one. “I’d do it for free if they wanted after Sparta but not sure what Lomcn aim is atm and if it’s Emerald 3D”

Something with euro maps and items lots of nostalgia and a place for the community to hang out.

Then the players can still go and play other custom servers but have this Lomcn base to fall back on and chat to friends and do some nostalgic grinding.

Imo it would have to be low rate with slight increased drop rates but not gold, pass me a VIP title and I’d set one up with no end limit to it after Sparta 😜

When we all used to run servers from home pc's back in the day, were they frequently attacked? you'd think with the level of performance of modern day pcs and the connections we have it would be ok - why would people attack a mir server is beyond me is it put down to other server owners jealousy over user counts?

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
When we all used to run servers from home pc's back in the day, were they frequently attacked? you'd think with the level of performance of modern day pcs and the connections we have it would be ok - why would people attack a mir server is beyond me is it put down to other server owners jealousy over user counts?

It's a pure mix, players who are on the server will do it to 'force' a server reboot to respawn bosses quicker (what they don't seem to get is that it kills the server they are trying to play)

Not sure out of the current server devs who would really do this (but it is a motive to do something like this)

It is a dire thing to attempt when people are just trying to keep mir alive!

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
It’s all to do with money...Mir is a money spin these days for a good % of user counts and even some GMs

To put in perspective I know someone “a player” who made thousands selling on oldskool.

If a GM is DDOSing it’s normally to effect the server and benefit his own “for money”

If it’s a player it’s normally to get that boss locked on respawn for ... yes “money”