Release Holley/3.55 - DatEncoder for Client files (Alternative for KaoryCrypt)

smoochy boys on tour

ElAmO

Ethernity Developer
Developer
Feb 27, 2006
Mallorca, Spain
Hi everyone!

Today I bring you this release that I hope you like.

I have developed an open source library to encode and decode the client's DAT files.

To make its implementation easier, I have published a nuget package that you can use in any of your .net projects.

Nuget: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Mir.Ethernity.Dat/

C#:
using Mir.Ethernity.Dat;

var inputEncodedData = await File.ReadAllBytesAsync(@"example.dat");
var decodedData = DatEncoder.Decode(inputEncodedData);
var encodedData = DatEncoder.Encode(decodedData);

I have not had time to work on a UX, I have simply exposed the functionality of the package in a "cli".

You can download the latest version of the cli from here:

.net framework 4.6.1:
https://mega.nz/file/luQRXIyY#QB-6LMaAVNPD3lzBo1MS4zXK11cUOo6-KrY7Jj8PmAQ

.net framework 4.0:

If u are using XP download .net framework 4.0

To use it is as simple as:
decode: dat-encoder -d "CMList.dat" "CMList.txt"
encode: dat-encoder -e "CMList.txt" "CMList.dat"

Please, if you liked the contribution, support me with a star on github repo:

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
With this you can edit the following files from the Mir 3 Holley client.
  • CMList.dat
  • credit.edt
  • Magic.exp
  • Map.Mif
  • MExplain.exp
  • MInfo.dat
If you're using Windows 7/8.1/10 install .net 4.6.1 and run the x64 version. If you're working from 32 bit XP, install .net 4.0 and use the x86 version.

Instructions step by step.
  1. Place the file you want to edit inside the folder, e.g. "CMList.dat"
  2. Run cmd and go to that directory
    Code:
    cd C:\Whatever\Location\
  3. Now decode the dat file.
    Code:
    dat-encoder -d "CMList.dat" "CMList.txt"
  4. Edit the generated CMList.txt with any text editor
  5. Encode the file
    Code:
    dat-encoder -e "CMList.txt" "CMList.dat"
  6. Copy and paste the CMList.dat file into your client folder
Thank you for the hard work, @ElAmO

Voya

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 15, 2008
USA
If only there was a way to alter the files to run on all systems haha

Vision

LOMCN n00bie
Dec 6, 2021
Space
Guys! I can’t download this hard work released, any clue on where to find them? Mega links seem to be broken. Ty

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
@ElAmO I'm trying to decode MInfo.dat using your tool but doesn't seem to work unfortunately (CMList.dat and credit.edt work okay)

Any idea what I need to modify to get it decoding? I assume it's meant to be supported.

Or if anyone already has a recently MInfo.dat decoded that would also be great :ROFLMAO:

1PKRyan

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Nov 9, 2007
No
Or if anyone already has a recently MInfo.dat decoded that would also be great
I just had a quick look at this. It seems they are using the same encryption as item.dat and using the old key "res070821mir". However, once you "decrypt" it you only get the ascii names of SPELL, MAGIC and EXPLOSION. Apart from these markers the rest seems like it is no longer plain-text and they are binary blobs.

I assume you don't want me to upload an old version(2015)?

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I just had a quick look at this. It seems they are using the same encryption as item.dat and using the old key "res070821mir". However, once you "decrypt" it you only get the ascii names of SPELL, MAGIC and EXPLOSION. Apart from these markers the rest seems like it is no longer plain-text and they are binary blobs.

I assume you don't want me to upload an old version(2015)?
Sure I'll take a look at an old version if you've got one. Not sure how much has really changed in 7 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: CraZyEriK

1PKRyan

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Nov 9, 2007
No
This is the latest "old" one i could find. Not sure if i have destroyed the chinese text or if you will see it when turning on chinese prc.

I assume they probably have an effect editor that then they fill out the effect structure and dump it to a file, the values probably mean the same in the new file if you cross-refference them using this file and a hex editor.

Sorry for the late reply. Late night...

EDIT: For the sake of completeness; here is the latest one decrypted for comparison.

Attachments

• Minfo.txt
    161.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Minfo_Latest_Dec.txt
    35 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: Far

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
This is the latest "old" one i could find. Not sure if i have destroyed the chinese text or if you will see it when turning on chinese prc.

I assume they probably have an effect editor that then they fill out the efffect structure and dump it to a file, the values probably mean the same in the new file if you cross-refference them using this file and a hex editor.

Sorry for the late reply. Late night...

EDIT: For the sake of completeness; here is the latest one decrypted for comparison.

Thanks, i've installed the chinese language and switched to it - but doesn't appear to have updated unfortunately. Just displays in ascii :S

I installed Chinese (Simplified, China) - assuming thats the correct one? Haven't done it before.

1PKRyan

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Nov 9, 2007
No
Thanks, i've installed the chinese language and switched to it - but doesn't appear to have updated unfortunately. Just displays in ascii :S

I installed Chinese (Simplified, China) - assuming thats the correct one? Haven't done it before.
Errm, i haven't done this since windows xp days to be honest. But you had to switch something to chinese prc for the characters to appear correctly for the chinese *.exe files. Give me a few mins and i will try to get it working my end. We might also have to do it programmatically when decrypting the file.

EDIT: Okay brainfart... I dunno why i said chinese you need to be in korean. Sorry.

Go to control panel -> Clock and Region -> Region; now click the 'Administrative' tab you should see 'Change system locale...' Click it and set to Korean now restart the computer. This works on my machine windows 10 version 21h1.

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Errm, i haven't done this since windows xp days to be honest. But you had to switch something to chinese prc for the characters to appear correctly for the chinese *.exe files. Give me a few mins and i will try to get it working my end. We might also have to do it programmatically when decrypting the file.

EDIT: Okay brainfart... I dunno why i said chinese you need to be in korean. Sorry.

Go to control panel -> Clock and Region -> Region; now click the 'Administrative' tab you should see 'Change system locale...' Click it and set to Korean now restart the computer. This works on my machine windows 10 version 21h1.

I did wonder lol.

Found a much easier option - open in notepad++

Reactions: 1PKRyan