host specs

BlueJeans

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 12, 2004
what would be the minimum comp specs and internet speed you would need to host a laggless server ??

UniTY

O.G.
VIP
Apr 29, 2003
Florida, USA
BlueJeans said:
what would be the minimum comp specs and internet speed you would need to host a laggless server ??

"lagless" server?

For how large of a community? If you plan to only have 50 or so players on, if that, figure about 1k a person while they stand still, unless in a town, then figure 3kb/s a person if they're all standing still.. if they're moving around, figure 5k a person. If there is a hunt going on figure 6k per user or more.

When someone says 512k connection it is only 50kb/s. When you use the term "512k connection", that generally means only the downstream, not the upstream. An example, I have a 3m line running into this place, but only a 35kb/s upstream.

The data being received isn't as important as the data being sent when it comes to gameservers. The server needs to keep all client informed.

10 players online and you'll be just about lag free.

--

Note, I did this testing 3 years ago. It could be wrong. I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Mar 23, 2003
Cairo Orbital Defence Platform
Well, for the old Mir3: Evil's Illusion server, the good lord Blasteron had 50 people on his 512kdown/256up.

Any more players and the lag kicked in, though.

--

It varies on your server, of course. But seriously speaking, you can probably hit lag-free status with around 10-20 players, and a server that would cost £300 from Dell.

lifco

Untrusted Member
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 6, 2004
UK/Italy
we are on
2.8ghz proccessor
1gig ram
2meg internet connection.

not once have we had any probs with lag on mir2 1.4-1.9, Ei or wow server but we have never had 50 peeps online at the same time tho, we normally have about 10 to 20 on at the same time

lif