How do server owners declare their earnings?

smoochy boys on tour

Benjy

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 17, 2016
Some server owners probably earn thousands through the game shops they provide. How do they declare this money?

Can they pass it off as donations due to them receiving the money via paypal?

Surely the tax man gets suspicious?

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Some server owners probably earn thousands through the game shops they provide. How do they declare this money?

Can they pass it off as donations due to them receiving the money via paypal?

Surely the tax man gets suspicious?

No they can't pass it off as anything, it should be declared as income through self assessment.

Whether they do or not is another matter..

Reactions: XloverBoy7X

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
  1. Get the money
  2. Don't declare it to avoid paying taxes
  3. Cry because tax evasion is so high in your country that there's no money for public stuff
  4. Go to 1

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
#3 - how fitting to be so minded while being a denizen of pirated game site.

@OP, they don't declare, they just hope they are fish small enough to slip through public fishing net.

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
I think any server owners that don't declare it would be foolish. 99% of the mir community are arseholes that would do anything they can to get "revenge" on a server owner if they nerf their class, or make a change they dont like etc.

It's really not worth the risk.

As for the answer to the OP question; I don't know how server owners would do it per say, they could set the server up as a business which would have different tax rules then self employed income, but i do all my earnings through self assessment as a "freelance programmer".

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
How does a self assement work if you are currently in full time employment?
Potentially could a server income could push a salary into the higher tax bracket?

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
How does a self assement work if you are currently in full time employment?
Potentially could a server income could push a salary into the higher tax bracket?
Yes.

You still need to fill out self assessment if you work full time, it's just a few different checkboxes and you give them your PAYE references

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Benjy

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 17, 2016
Are there not any queries into what it is you are programming, or they not care all that much?
I'm just wondering because Mir isn't in the public domain and essentially all these server files we use are copyrighted etc.

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Being investigated by HMRC is sometimes pure luck of the draw, also can happen when something triggers a response. For example a spike in earnings, a dip in declared compared to previous years. It’s not just a nasty tax man searching through ppls paperwork. It’s a computer software picking up on changes.

Out of all the tradesman I know which is hundreds, I know of 6 ppl to have been investigated. A couple..they are abit dodge the others purely legitimate and it was an absolute nightmayer for them, trying to prove innocence is sometimes hard.

If your going to declare Mir earnings I’m not sure how you sort the charge backs ppl do, sounds like a headache especially if your investigated by chance.

This is the main reason I just want to delete GameShop as I honestly don’t need the money to run a server, but a lot of ppl here keep convincing me to keep it in saying it adds a sense of security to players. “That I might stick around longer if money’s involved”
Post automatically merged:

Maybe I can be the difference, maybe @Tai can add a “free to play” or “no p2w” or “no gameshop” tag to servers without a GameShop to boost my credit. Just spit balling here

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Charge backs can only be done on paypal within 3 months of the transaction i believe. And since you don't declare your earnings until a year after that wouldn't ever be an issue.