How much do you charge for change engine oil message?

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Right.

I was driving Home this evening and then Change engine oil soon came on my dashboard while waiting at the traffic lights.

Last year I had my service due to having my car for 2 years.

If I turn my cars engine on now, the message comes up. I do have a spare can of oil relevant to my car as I bought earlier this month as I did a 5 hour journey to from visiting relatives.

How much do you guys get charged when you take your car to the Garage for this?

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
How old is the car?
Can you afford to replace it?

If not, get it sorted asap. No idea on cost but a knackered engine is going to cost you more.

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
How old is the car?
Can you afford to replace it?

If not, get it sorted asap. No idea on cost but a knackered engine is going to cost you more.
I had it for 3 years. Since May 2019.

MOT got done shortly before Summer and everything came green. I did replace a tyre after Summer due to the rim withering away.

Already looking for garages in my area since the place I used to get it done at is miles away.

CraZyEriK

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jan 23, 2006
Alicante, Spain
how many kilometers in the dash ? normally oil needs to be changed between 10k-25k km, depend on the driving style, and the car.

Please, give more info i'll be glad to help you

Reactions: Seanofsmeg

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
how many kilometers in the dash ? normally oil needs to be changed between 10k-25k km, depend on the driving style, and the car.

Please, give more info i'll be glad to help you
I've done 25km. I havent done many miles due to Covid restrictions. It's only after Easter this year that I travel to site more.

I drive a ford, zetec type.

I have just got off the phone to a local garage who says I need a service. The guy said it would be £100-150 and earliest is Friday.

However there's another garage 10 minutes away which I managed to book an appointment online who I am going to call shortly.

He says it doesnt necessarily need a ford depot due to warranty.

timeaway123

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 2, 2015
100-150 is a fair price for a service, however they then get you by saying this that and toother need doing,

I'm sure you have a friend that will be into cars, that will have the tools to do this, it takes about an hour for oil change, oil filter will cost around £15 from GFS or euro car parts.

throw your mate some beer money.

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
100-150 is a fair price for a service, however they then get you by saying this that and toother need doing,

I'm sure you have a friend that will be into cars, that will have the tools to do this, it takes about an hour for oil change, oil filter will cost around £15 from GFS or euro car parts.

throw your mate some beer money.
I've just found a garage that will do it and booked in.

I don't even drink lol

Once I get paid from job, I'll get some DIY tools for the oil.

CraZyEriK

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jan 23, 2006
Alicante, Spain
well, you did 25km or 25,000 km ? with that mileage the oil needs to be changed, "usually" these new cars have the maintenance scheluded when you reach X mileage, or X days.

I dont know the price in your country, but ie for my vw golf tdi, i use a 80€ 5liter can of special oil + the filter and the maintenance goes just to 120€.

i think that price in your country it's a bit expensive, when u can get cheaper cans ie "Shell, Repsol, Petronas" wich is like 20 30€ for a can and it's not bad for a basic car.

pls let me guide you, search on youtube for "autodoc" videos, and look up for your model, they explain how to do all maintenance, and well, if you have parking spot at your home you can do it, but remember to dispose the old oil on a clean point, otherwise if you drop it to the floor, police can fine you as it's ambiental catastrophic,

sorry about my english, im spanish

ventus

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
Oil change? No more then $60-$80 , anymore and your getting taken advantage of.

Oil $30 (Most types on sale for around $20-$30 for 5Litres if you keep your eye out)
Oil Filter $6
$20-$40 Labour
City driving usually change oil after 5,000-10,000km

Last edited:
Reactions: CraZyEriK

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Oil change? No more then $60-$80 , anymore and your getting taken advantage of.

Oil $30 (Most types on sale for around $20-$30 for 5Litres if you keep your eye out)
Oil Filter $6
$20-$40 Labour
City driving usually change oil after 5,000-10,000km
I'm not in the U.S.

At least I got it booked in for this week now to a local garage.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I had it for 3 years. Since May 2019.

MOT got done shortly before Summer and everything came green. I did replace a tyre after Summer due to the rim withering away.

Already looking for garages in my area since the place I used to get it done at is miles away.
MOT is nothing.
Literally just a check that the car is road worthy.

Looks like you have it booked in. Honestly for the sake of £150-200 you'd be better off getting it done rather then leave it and wreck the engine.

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
MOT is nothing.
Literally just a check that the car is road worthy.

Looks like you have it booked in. Honestly for the sake of £150-200 you'd be better off getting it done rather then leave it and wreck the engine.
It is booked in and I'm glad.

I need a car to get to Work and back. Can't always Work at home as its crucial to see people face to face.

Pusha

Playing Legend Of Mir 6
Loyal Member
Oct 14, 2017
England
Unless the car has service requirements to keep up the warranty, just do it yourself.

Took mine to the dealer for a service £630 quid down :sick:

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
You can drive with red control light longer if you don't have some fancy vehicle, if it is a luxury one, you need to service it (if only because your car may refuse to start one day due to onboard computer telling it not to.

While you can change oil yourself, the red light would still be there which would bother many folks, in a garage they know how to reset it after the change. Maybe you can find a guide on net how to reset it yourself at home. But you don't sound like very handy with these vehicle things so its better to go to a garage.

Recalls the dialog in BBT, when Sheldon tells Penny her car has red control lighted on dashboard. :D

CraZyEriK

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jan 23, 2006
Alicante, Spain
old ford are easy as fk the filter it's infront can be easy out and for the pan u just need the 13 and the new toric for the bolt, empty can and here goo
my gf got a mondeo with the dohc from ford and car was running without oil and was fine lol.. as soon i knew filled it up

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
Good news on car.

They changed the oil filter and put new oil in.

All is good.

Only £135.

Will order some DIY tools for car soon. Quite keen on how to fix.

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
sounds good, do you know the brand they used ?
They used a brand suitable for my car.

Now getting passionate for DIY.

Looking at changing tyres myself and eventually oil, provided I can find a 100% safe jack.