Tutorial I found a fix for SQL Eval!!!!

smoochy boys on tour

Annihilinth

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 20, 2013
I realize the problem with Eval edition, and trying to upgrade to a later version, or re-installing it. It's seemingly impossible.

I know this is a common problem, for those using SQL evaluation edition, so I've uploaded a .rar file that contains the full Standard edition of SQL 2000. It can be found here:

Please not that if you do not have, or have never had any version of SQL on your PC before (or at least since a reformat), then you can ignore everything after this sentence, and just download the full version.

Microsoft SQL 2000 Standard Edition

The problem is that when you try to uninstall Eval, then re-install it again, (or indeed this full version), it wont let you. BUT i found the fix. You need to delete a .reg file, and to do so, follow these instructions:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open dialog box, type: "Regedit" (without the quotation marks) or "Regedt32" (without the quotation marks)
    3. Click OK.

NOTE: Please make sure that you only delete the value mentioned, not the whole session manager key.
    4. In Registry Editor, expand the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
    5. On the File menu, click Export.

NOTE: In Microsoft Windows 2000, click Export Registry File from the Registry menu.
    6. In the File name text box, type: "Session Manager Key" (without the quotation marks)
    7. Click Save.
    8. In the right-pane of the Registry Editor window, right-click PendingFileRenameOperations. On the shortcut menu that appears, click Delete.
    9. In the Confirm Value Delete message dialog box that appears, click Yes.
    10. On the File menu, click Exit.

****************I was able to re-install at this point, so i highly recommend trying the same, but there are further steps in case you cannot******************

NOTE: In Windows 2000, click Exit on the Registry menu.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Using the Registry Editor, verify that the PendingFileRenameOperations registry value is not available.

Note The PendingFileRenameOperations registry value may be re-created when you restart the computer. If the registry values are re-created, delete the PendingFileRenameOperations registry value again by completing steps a through j, and then run SQL Server 2000 Setup.
  3. Do not restart the computer before you run SQL Server 2000 Setup.
  4. Check other control set keys (for example, ControlSet001, ControlSet002, and so forth) for the same values and also delete them.
  5. Identify the virtual memory settings on the computer. If the paging file is too small or if there is no paging file, this error message may occur at startup: Limited Virtual Memory Your system has no paging file or the paging file is too small.

If the error message occurs, determine the placement of the paging file from the virtual memory settings and give that drive full permissions for the system account.

Limited Virtual Memory Your system has no paging file or the paging file is too small.

If the error message occurs, determine the placement of the paging file from the virtual memory settings and give that drive full permissions for the system account.

I hope that these steps are easy enough to follow.

DISCLAIMER:

I was able to re-install after step 10. So i do not know anything about any of the steps after that point.

Now this is complete, you can now install the full version of SQL i have linked above, or re-install your evaluation version, (not tested with evalualtion).

On a side note, i spent a good 6 hours looking for this fix, then a good few hours after looking for a cracked version of the Standard edition of SQL 2000.

Anyways, I'm not sure if this will help anybody, but I'm hoping it will. Or at least having a copy of the Standard edition will help those who need it.

Edits: Change of font for ease of reading, and for spelling and grammar.

Last edited:
Reactions: idaBigA

dsmir3

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Mar 12, 2010
Why bother using Eval, when two full versions have been provided?

Upvote 0

dsmir3

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Mar 12, 2010
i do wonder why people bother with these help threads when they get a response like that.
Come on really, you going to troll everything that I write as being negative. It's people like you, who moan when someone points out a pointless action when a "fix" is provided. No wonder, no one actually helps around here with so much negativity. What's up, not getting it at home!!

Upvote 0

jaffar91

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 10, 2011
Come on really, you going to troll everything that I write as being negative. It's people like you, who moan when someone points out a pointless action when a "fix" is provided. No wonder, no one actually helps around here with so much negativity. What's up, not getting it at home!!
real mature m8 lol
if you wanted to point it out it was pointless you could have just said it nicely ^^

Upvote 0