I thought Mir 2 died but what is this then??

Themanbro

LOMCN n00bie
Apr 22, 2022
Hey all,

Old school mir player here. I was looking for new servers and figured most of them would have 300-400 players at most, so I figured mir was dead. I came across this video where there seems to be hundreds of players online and the game is updated too with new features:

I’m a bit confused because I thought according to everyone here, mir is no longer played much aside of on private servers? How is there a Korean server that seems to be super popular with new updates? This video was from mid 2020 too..Wouldn’t y’all be playing this too?

Reactions: OuYangPlane

Kefka

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 27, 2004
The issue from what i've always understood other than the lag is you need a Korean SSN (Social Security Number) to make a account on the official Korean servers.

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
The issue from what i've always understood other than the lag is you need a Korean SSN (Social Security Number) to make a account on the official Korean servers.
There was a webpage you could get accounts made for $5.

OuYangPlane

LOMCN Member
Jun 24, 2020
;)Nice to meet you, first of all I have to point out that this Korean server is the only official MIR2 server that is being updated for genuine MIR, and the Chinese server has not been updated for a long time and is not even genuine! In the video, our Chinese players made the official partial text localization patch, so that more players can play without the interference of language problems!

Themanbro

LOMCN n00bie
Apr 22, 2022
So then it sounds like the game isn’t dead then? Why haven’t they released an English version of it?

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
bc I cba to learn Korean :(

You don't really need to. The UI and items are still the same, so it's really easy to tell what item is what and their stats.

Not like todays games where you need to reach a bunch of UI to understand what everything is. It's the Korean SSN and ping being the main problem of playing that version, which is why nobody does.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
It's the Korean SSN and ping being the main problem of playing that version, which is why nobody does.

I'd say much bigger problem is that Korean servers are likely all well established so you would be starting out on old server. Once in the days when mir3 first came out, ~2002, we could play on Korean servers without much difficulty of getting on and I still remember how bare and basic and plain Korean mir2 server felt, scroogy like to extreme (no mass drops from raking cats or those spiders in PI that only our euro mir had).

I don't think it has changed, Koreans are in this regard very conservative.

Reactions: Omnibus

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Weapons are refined and Awakened to stupid stats and costs are billions in gold.
There are bots running 24/7 and item dupes or some sort of exploit.
There is no lag, it's latency. Not surprising if you're half a world away !
There are 10 official Korean Mir 2 servers.
There are regular events and updates.
The game is now operated by Wemade again but had recently been run by YD online.

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
Weapons are refined and Awakened to stupid stats and costs are billions in gold.
There are bots running 24/7 and item dupes or some sort of exploit.
There is no lag, it's latency. Not surprising if you're half a world away !
There are 10 official Korean Mir 2 servers.
There are regular events and updates.
The game is now operated by Wemade again but had recently been run by YD online.
its ran by a chinse company now , ChuanQi IP

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
You can say the europe version is died , there are many of chinese servers with 1000 players online.
It makes sense that Euro is dead. We have all suffered from Mir on here at some point in our lives.

If one exactly perfect replicate of Euro Mir is available, we should all go for it.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
It makes sense that Euro is dead. We have all suffered from Mir on here at some point in our lives.

If one exactly perfect replicate of Euro Mir is available, we should all go for it.

You want to lose 15 years of features and go back to same old content that everyone has experienced a million times over?

I'd give that server a day before it shutdown.

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
You want to lose 15 years of features and go back to same old content that everyone has experienced a million times over?

I'd give that server a day before it shutdown.
I would want extra features to make it more fun, plus a lot more quests to progress.

A quest should be attached to each cave.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
that's not a replica of euro then is it, that's exactly what all servers are doing currently - offering you more features to make it more fun.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
I think if the Koreans ran an official British or European based server, it would be very popular.
There are still bots, gold sellers and other issues, even some graphic glitches where the big maps can run over the edge of the window or not show at all so all you get is buttons.
Some early content has gone such as Bichon Mines and mob levels in early maps like oma caves, wooma and stone temple are all very light.
All issues aside, you have Mir as you knew it but on steroids.
What you don't get are the hybrid maps etc. that people add to their crystal servers from other versions plus other invented items.

I think many would play an official server but, also, many would prefer the privateers. Whether the user count would be enough for both to survive, who knows.

• Love