Other If you have a moment, please help an old mir veteran.

smoochy boys on tour

Nufan1121

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 1, 2012
Hi guys, im glad to see LOMCN is still up and running =] i used this place a hand full of years back to set up some old private servers. My post is a tad long winded but please bare with me as i'm trying to inform of all my attempts.

I'm no stranger to running a Mir 2 server, the mud2 folder itself gave me flashbacks when i downloaded the Untouched server files yesterday morning. After 20-30 minutes of downloading they were complete and i set them all up correctly, no errors on m2server all gates open and ready to go. I completely forgot about the client! Rookie mistake.
After spending all of yesterday downloading different installation packs, finding out i was using the wrong Mir2_install.exe's and battling with cracked clients i found 2 that actually get me to my login screen. Some others worked but had a strange avatar in the corner of the login screen (which i assume was from a newer release)

So my dilemma is this. The server is running and is working, i know this because the login screen is there and i can HEAR the music and see the picture... My issue is that the image i am seeing is completely fuzzy, Like ruined by 'static'. It is possible to enter text into the Username and Password bars but impossible to create a new account as when you click the screen anywhere it closes on you.
I attempted a screen resolution change on both my windows and my radeon 6870 (dual monitor) to 800x600 and also changing the Bit to 16 instead of the 32, this didn't work and only cost me more time. I also tried the same install files and client on my Dell 1525 with the same ish results, the only difference was the sides were boarded black around the fuzzy image - it still crashed when you clicked anywhere in the screen.
My initial thought was that i was STILL using the wrong client, but after attempting multiple others (some that the image looked fine but gave me a connection closed screen - for custom servers' i found that the only one that got me to the login screen almost correctly was the fuzzy one.

I assure you, i spent many hours last night searching not only this forum but the internet to fix this problem. I came out with 2 results... Either try downloading a completely different set of server files (This to me is a bad option because im part of a gaming channel on Youtube and wanted to do a CLASSIC mir play through/let's play) or my favourite of the two, grab a new interface. Now when i said i was no stranger to running a mir2 server, back in the day i was doing it we never came across interfaces... or at least interchangeable ones, i couldn't find a download for a login interface for 1.4 in my searches and nor do i know how to use one if it did download. To give you an idea of what i am seeing, if you have ever alt-tabbed a game too many times then re opened it to see a blur of coloured pixels over your ordinary graphics then that is exactly what it looks like!

So can someone give me a hand? I was happy to see people still posting here just yesterday with their comments/issues and it's good to see a classic game community still going. I can only hope that someone can help me get the screen working so i can relive some of my fondest gaming memories.

(For your information)

Desktop - Windows 7 premium 64bit, CPU I7 2600k 4.5ghz, 16GB RAM.

Laptop - Windows 7 premium 64bit, CPU 2.5ghz Intel (something) 4GB RAM

P.S Would the 64bit make a difference to the mir login animation/pictures?

Thanks in advance - Nufan1121

TravisW

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
If you downloaded 1.4 server files you will need a 1.4 client.
Pretty sure you will at least need the 1.4 interface, I cannot find working downloads for either.
I would suggest you use newer files.

Upvote 0

Nufan1121

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 1, 2012
Hi Travis thank you so much for replying. Luckily i have an old Mir friend i used to play the official wemade mir with who copied the original files to disc. I am 100% sure im using the official original server files but im only 95% sure im using the original install.. However as i mentioned i think he is currently sending me the very first install so hopefully it will work.

Im still hoping for replies just in case it dosnt work but rest assured if it works i will be letting you know and also i hope to host the 'working' files - or at very least upload them to a sharing site for anyone else having this problem in the future and finds this thread. I have already set up the tags to how close i can get to the issue but i can see this is a problem for quite a few vanilla mir server 'want to be's' so i hope this will eventually help them also.

Again thank you for your help.

- Nufan1121

---------- Post Merged on 02-09-2012 at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was on 01-09-2012 at 10:35 PM ----------

Hi everyone, im happy to report i fixed the problem by using the download my friend sent me. Luckily, well, extremely luckily he made a cd backup of the files as soon as mir was released in the uk and they worked. Im still not sure if i was somehow using a slightly more updated set of install files or if they simply were just corrupt somehow. But for future fixes to this 1.4 buggy screen/fuzzy screen/pixelated screen problem i will find a way to upload the files somehow so that they will remain downloadable for all and hopefully help the others who struggle with this annoying issue.

I will reply soon with the link.

Thanks - Nufan1121

Upvote 0

JaguarPaw

LOMCN Member
Sep 1, 2012
Bichon
glad you have your issue dorted we are having similar problems with items all pixely and mini map not working properly i do have mir files on disc from years ago a few versions any info on how we can sort our probs out?

Upvote 0

Nufan1121

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 1, 2012
Im just rediscovering everything as i go along.. me being alot older since the last time i was running these servers and also having a job now means i have forgotten quite a bit. My guess would be obviously something is wrong with the image files for those items... i too am having problems with items with no image, amulet bundle for example... i think i remember fixing all these errors as a teenager though the hardest part is finding download links that still work.

Have you tried different item files from each install to see which works best? Is anything else 'pixely'? The disc i managed to get hold of was made from the very first, un updated release of mir here in the UK so everything was untouched, probably why some things need updating because there was most likely bugs with the initial release.

Upvote 0

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
if they are not showing up, most you gotta change the image numbers in the db to match your wils.

Upvote 0

Nufan1121

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 1, 2012
Thank you iceman, i havnt yet go around to delving into the db's for editing yet - still having a few teething problems with lag but when i get there the advice you gave will be very helpful!

Thanks again! -Nufan1121

Upvote 0

Nufan1121

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 1, 2012
Thank you Hazuki! Although i already have the download now im sure that link will be useful for others stumbling upon this thread with the same issue.

-Nufan1121

Upvote 0

Hazuki

VIP
VIP
Apr 14, 2004
United Kingdom
If you are planning on making your server public, i would suggest using the Ruby or Hero files as there are many public exploits for the 1.4 files.

Upvote 0

Nufan1121

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 1, 2012
Currently i have no plans for that, i will be using Hamachi to let my fellow game reviewers on to take part in the experience and video but that is about it. While i have you here its off topic slightly to this thread but it would save me the time of a deep google search. Im currently in the stditems file and the drug bundles are not showing up in game. Do you know the process of finding the correct bundle icon? Is it a case of downloading a .wil viewer and matching them up or is there a faster way?

Thanks - Nufan1121

Upvote 0