Help Importing white background PNGs, deleting shadows

Xx69xX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 2, 2005
Evening all,

I have been recently attempting to convert PNGs to BMPs while keeping the shadows. However, whatever i try, i fail!

I manage to convert to BMP with true color values, however this creates a white background which is obviously a big no no. I manage to convert to BMP with a black background (lovely!) but the shadows disappear. As soon as i import as PNG the same problem occurs.

Mobs without Shadows just look so displaced on the map (same with armours/npcs etc).

Does anyone know a work around for this?

I am currently using Totalimage converter, which is great and i have tried various different converters with the same outcome.

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
Solution
As suspected the shadow is pure black just with the alpha turned down. There's also some spots all over the mob which would be transparent in game too as you can see from this image, so you will need to replace the pure black (#000000) with like #010101 so the client doesn't turn it transparent

1619106847101.png

Xx69xX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 2, 2005
Why are you converting to bmp? The lib editor works with PNG
It was the only way to create a black background image. I have also tried PNG with the same issues, it just always deletes the shadow.

Upvote 0

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
It was the only way to create a black background image. I have also tried PNG with the same issues, it just always deletes the shadow.
Ok well perhaps share an image with us so we can see - maybe your shadow is black

Upvote 0

Xx69xX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 2, 2005
Ok well perhaps share an image with us so we can see - maybe your shadow is black
An example here.

I suppose my thread title is misleading. My query is simply, is there a way for the import to stop deleting the shadow.

Attachments

• 01470.png
    01470.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
As suspected the shadow is pure black just with the alpha turned down. There's also some spots all over the mob which would be transparent in game too as you can see from this image, so you will need to replace the pure black (#000000) with like #010101 so the client doesn't turn it transparent

1619106847101.png

Upvote 0
Solution

Xx69xX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 2, 2005

View attachment 25289
I see, thank you for showing me this!

So i just tried this, (the lowest i could squeeze out of the color selector was #030303, with this, i assume you mean changing the transparency color to this new number), however i get the same problem.

The shadows delete as soon as i save the Lib.

Upvote 0

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I see, thank you for showing me this!

So i just tried this, (the lowest i could squeeze out of the color selector was #030303, with this, i assume you mean changing the transparency color to this new number), however i get the same problem.

The shadows delete as soon as i save the Lib.

Are you sure they're deleting and not just hidden because of the black background? Assume you've changed the background to white on the lib editor to see it?

1619108908726.png

Only solid black #000000 should be removed by the editor. So if its still removing i can only thing you're saving at a lower quality perhaps and your #030303 is just converting down to #000000 again. Just guessing really as no expert on images.

Upvote 0

Xx69xX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 2, 2005
Are you sure they're deleting and not just hidden because of the black background? Assume you've changed the background to white on the lib editor to see it?

View attachment 25290

Only solid black #000000 should be removed by the editor. So if its still removing i can only thing you're saving at a lower quality perhaps and your #030303 is just converting down to #000000 again. Just guessing really as no expert on images.

Yeah they are going.

I have just tested and yes every time i convert to 030303 it essentially just changes it to true black again. I am currently researching some batch color changing programs. However i know another issue i am now going to have is finding a batch changer which does not change the transparency and replace the background with white!!!

Thanks for all the replies so far

Upvote 0

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah they are going.

I have just tested and yes every time i convert to 030303 it essentially just changes it to true black again. I am currently researching some batch color changing programs. However i know another issue i am now going to have is finding a batch changer which does not change the transparency and replace the background with white!!!

Thanks for all the replies so far

Just make an action script in photoshop and batch it ?

Upvote 0

Hwarang

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Mar 19, 2018
Tunbridge wells
You can batch change colour in gimp, you just need to find a script-fu that does it and change each image imported as a layer, then export layers as images using a different script-fu i have done it before changing the hue, saturation, lightness on all monster frames.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xx69xX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 2, 2005
Just make an action script in photoshop and batch it ?
Yeah, i have considered purchasing Photoshop, would love to try and find a different solution before spending money if possible. Happy to do so, however im sure there must be some tools i can find without having to pay (and in my case, never cancel the monthly subscription)

Upvote 0

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I'm not sure if it supports action scripts the same way, but i use this free tool in place of photoshop when i need something that paint can't offer.

Reactions: Xx69xX
Upvote 0

Xx69xX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 2, 2005
I'm not sure if it supports action scripts the same way, but i use this free tool in place of photoshop when i need something that paint can't offer.

Thanks,

I'll have a little look at this.

Upvote 0

Xx69xX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 2, 2005
So after a little bit of playing around, almost got it right. Just need to play around with the black levels.

I have put the old version and the fixed (ish) version together to see the difference. It's small, but to me its massive!

https://gyazo.com/fe179fbaecbd5be19378a5b6d003ea3d

But as you can see its considerably better, (as you said @Tai there were huge parts of the actual monster that were true black too)

So massive thank you to everyone who helped, Once i get it right ill release the mobs i manage to do.

Upvote 0

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
I'm uploading my cracked version of photoshop for you. Then you just need to research how to 'Batch Replace Color'

I got a pricking in my thumbs it is that photoshop I sent you some couple yrs or so back

you couldn't even download it from that uploading site, had to send it to you direct if memory serves me

maybe that's why u sit on my neck, pple always hate most the helping hand

• Wow
Reactions: StormHero
Upvote 0