In Game Music

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
So I am working on a fully custom library of music; and was curious, if the music was actually good (and fitting to the environments) would you keep it turned on?

I want to know this as, personally it makes a big difference when I play but I play with music on.
I would also look to add a feature so I could change music on the same map (so if you walked into a town, it'd play a different music to when you were out in the woods n such).

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
i love the music in mir3, but even i turn it off >.<

far too many people with far too varied tastes, i would save your time and not bother tbh :)

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
i love the music in mir3, but even i turn it off >.<

far too many people with far too varied tastes, i would save your time and not bother tbh :)

I leave it on for a while because of nostalgia then I turn it off.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
Oh it isn't any of the default music, its completely custom, ambient sounds and KR custom music.
Ripped from various other games, obviously.

IDK I still like to do it if 20% enjoyed the music, as it makes the game feel more finished.

We shall see!

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
1) Put a button on gui for an easy access to mute the music.
2) It might be a good idea not to loop the music track. Start playing when entering a location or with a silent pause before it starts.

If you want a gold sink, put a 'juke box npc in SZ with menu choice of music playable at some cost.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Thing with Mir though, you can hear which mob is near you before you see it.

Map music for music's sake, no. Map music for atmosphere, yes.
Lineage 2 did this brilliantly. Each town had a nice theme that looped.
Shops had sounds such as iron works, armour being made etc.
Certain areas of maps had eerie/spooky music depending on where you were regionwise,. ie., light, dark, dwarf, orc etc.

All music was played by a real orchestra and not plinky plink synth stuff.

That said, all was optional and music had separate controls to other sound effects and game sound.
Lineage 2 used ogg (vorbis) files instead of wav. A fraction of the size but good quality.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
most music is too loud so I tend to always turn it off.. or at least low.. so if you didn't make it potent it probably would be used a lot more than normal

Hercules

Prime Hunter
Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Asda
Thing with Mir though, you can hear which mob is near you before you see it.

Map music for music's sake, no. Map music for atmosphere, yes.
Lineage 2 did this brilliantly. Each town had a nice theme that looped.
Shops had sounds such as iron works, armour being made etc.
Certain areas of maps had eerie/spooky music depending on where you were regionwise,. ie., light, dark, dwarf, orc etc.

All music was played by a real orchestra and not plinky plink synth stuff.

That said, all was optional and music had separate controls to other sound effects and game sound.
Lineage 2 used ogg (vorbis) files instead of wav. A fraction of the size but good quality.

Totally agree, my main story line has specific orchestra type momentum build up music during certain events. Boss rooms it really ramps up.

For instance my ThunderGodCity Map is wicked imo.

If ppl dont like it they can’t turn it down individually from sounds

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
What the idea is:

Ambience rather than music tracks for a fair few areas, so forests will have "birds squawking, rustling of bushes etc", Caves "a low eerie kind of atmospheric track" - so they add a nice ambience, but don't take from mob sounds when hunting.

Towns and Cities will have a backing of a bustling village (so you can hear 'chatter' of villagers and moving carts etc)

Kingsrooms is when it changes from a sombre tone to a unique track per boss (on top of hopefully being able to change tracks within a map, I will also add in it so it can change if a specific mob is in a map, sombre track continues into KR if a boss is dead, but when the boss is there / spawns, the track changes)

Also, something I am lagging on
sounds for all mobs!