Instance 'forgiveness'

How much access?

• Infinite access (one portal only goes away when you open another map)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 6 portals

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 3 portals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Single portal

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
After multiple attempts trying, I finally got my 'map' system coded in and working as I like.
I'm undecided on how forgiving the content should be tho.

(I pretty much copied the PoE map system, in essence)
- The instances are set spawns - No respawns, so once it's cleared, it's cleared.
- The instances are item drop based - as in you find the 'maps' and use them to open the instances.
- Linear progression through 'tiers'

So there will never be a shortage of them, however, it is a linear progression in difficulty/reward the higher tier you go (but also the rarer they drop).

So, what do people think?

Skibadee

That Vial skibadee lolol
Banned
Mar 24, 2003
If your trying to mimic the POE style maps, maybe use the amount of portals it gives on their? Which is 6? iirc

DevilsKnight

I
VIP
Aug 1, 2004
I've coded this exact system, how i have mine coded is that added stats on the 'map' item also impact the mobs spawned on that map and also the items that these mobs then subsequently drop

Gives some variation to the spawns that way and not just a copy of another map.

In relation to your poll, it all depends on the difficulty of the instance and how rare you make the 'map' items.
You could have them relatively common and thus only allow a single portal.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
If your trying to mimic the POE style maps, maybe use the amount of portals it gives on their? Which is 6? iirc

It was more a question of opinion in regards to limited access.
In regards to PoE I very rarely ever use more than 1 of the 6.

I've coded this exact system, how i have mine coded is that added stats on the 'map' item also impact the mobs spawned on that map and also the items that these mobs then subsequently drop

Gives some variation to the spawns that way and not just a copy of another map.

In relation to your poll, it all depends on the difficulty of the instance and how rare you make the 'map' items.
You could have them relatively common and thus only allow a single portal.
Having the stats modify the spawns was my next step, naturally. It took me long enough just to get the items to spawns the portals :P
In regards to rarity, they will be plentiful, you will never run out of the 'easy' ones, but the top half of tiers will be rare enough to have economic value.
Boss ones will be a bit more challenging to acquire.

My current thought is to just spawn one portal that you can use as many times as you like, for normal maps.
Boss/challenge maps will have 1-5 portals that you can only enter once each.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Not really much explanation here as to what this is all about or how it fits in to the rest of your game ? So I couldn't possibly vote.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Not really much explanation here as to what this is all about or how it fits in to the rest of your game ? So I couldn't possibly vote.
I can explain better once I have all the UI elements in place. ;)