Is Mir about to Die?

MonoxideLenny

Adwaa
Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Mirs dead.
It's funny of all people you pipe up, you had a pretty decent server in the works that many of us tested and played you even built a great discord channel then out of no were deleted everything and disappear not really helping the health of the game or community much.

Mir is far from dead there are lucky still some very dedicated coders and server owners out there that aren't just in it for a quick buck granted there aren't many now but it's still no were close to dead.

Reactions: Sanjian

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Far from it.

Compare Mir to Myth of Soma - Soma only has 1 live server, the updates to the files have been minimal and yet the game is still going. Mir on the other hand has new servers coming up every month. The server files have came on a tonne in the past 10 years. Usercount combined on all servers is still high. Mir has a lot of life left yet.
I remember us playing servers with a small User Count (like 20-30 max) religiously in the past.
Now days the new big servers are hitting the 200+ mark.

I'd say the Private Server scene has many more active players than they did back then.
Plus as you say, the files have progressed massively.
The 1.4 and 2.3 files were my most active. Had the most fun on these, but we were very restricted to what could be done and they were buggy as ****.

Reactions: Wond

Omnibus

LOMCN Member
Dec 9, 2021
I havent been feeling like touching Mir.

The Mir2 days were good. In 2006 a lot went on in Euro.

Good old days hunting with Notorious and then OneFootinTheGrave. Sound guild leaders.

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
It entirely depends if people have rose tinted glasses on when it comes to mir servers, people say they want the original euro feel, but then most will moan when it takes them forever to level.

People have different free time now then they did back then, if you get no sense of progression from a game you tend to pack it in; so a lot of servers are progressing down the right route (overall) it's just getting that balance, right.

Last edited:

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
It entirely depends if people have rose tinted glasses on when it comes to mir servers, people say they want the original euro feel, but then most will moan when it takes them forever to level.

People have different free time now then they did back then, if you get no sense of progression from a game you tend to pack it in; so a lot of servers are progressing down the right route (overall) it's just getting that balance, right.

What it seems to be, is people want to rush through the 1-40 parts, get gear and start fighting because they think nothing happens between 1 and 40 :D I don't think that is even remotely accurate....not sure who is not fighting around WT/ST/ZT etc before Lv.40, but sure!

Not a single person in this forum is dreaming for the actual euro mir rates...fk that. I definitely don't have 3 years to grind a single level. But I certainly don't want to be 45-50 in a week, which is what most servers come out with. Then the money grabbing ones extend this and put Rebirth or something in and make you do 1-50...10 times.

What people do want (Me included) is a BIT of effort. Having some fights around WT at Lv20s, then some fights around ZT, ST, BC. THEN some fights in BDD/Foxes...all spread over the course of like 2 months, where you actually have a reason to buy Lv.26 weapons off people and aren't always just banged by Flamefield or TDB until later in the game.

Problem is, if you don't compensate for all 3 sets of people, then you don't get the full player base, and people also get bored that way from having no one to play with. You also have people that just don't like PvP, and play for the PvE...they also in some way contribute to the market, and item drops...it's not like we don't PK them at some point lol.

Reactions: Wond

2fast2furious

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 22, 2004
Covid had a helping hand but Artificial had like 600+ users at one point, probs at least a third being fishers like but that had been the best server id played for years until the team stopped being as active.

Xzoviac

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Id like a slow old euro mir feel that builds up to Korean mir 3 content, unfortunately my pc is to modern to run the gsp files, and iv had enough of zircon clones now

I doubt we will ever see mir 3 like it originally was again though

Reactions: Repo

IceMan

Hero's Act Mir 2
Legendary
Apr 17, 2003
Id like a slow old euro mir feel that builds up to Korean mir 3 content, unfortunately my pc is to modern to run the gsp files, and iv had enough of zircon clones now

I doubt we will ever see mir 3 like it originally was again though
i think this is about mir2 ppl play

Lose

Banned
Banned
Aug 13, 2020
I think we have some great servers coming out this year, which will bring a lot of variety and new angles to Mir.

Lots of us are trying to push more HD content and changing things up. I'm personally (Elite Mir) focusing on removing the GameShop and promoting a more even/fair game for everyone like the old days, without being able to swipe your card for huge boosters (GS items).

There are loads of developers working on new systems, content, kit, mobs, maps, spells.. etc.. all this will just further enhance Mir and bring a new vibe to things in my opinion.

Also the guys working on the LOMCN source are doing a lot of great things with the Supr code, hats off to them! 🍻

LightBringer

Primordial GM
Veteran
Primordial
Game Master
Feb 13, 2014
What it seems to be, is people want to rush through the 1-40 parts, get gear and start fighting because they think nothing happens between 1 and 40 :D I don't think that is even remotely accurate....not sure who is not fighting around WT/ST/ZT etc before Lv.40, but sure!

Not a single person in this forum is dreaming for the actual euro mir rates...fk that. I definitely don't have 3 years to grind a single level. But I certainly don't want to be 45-50 in a week, which is what most servers come out with. Then the money grabbing ones extend this and put Rebirth or something in and make you do 1-50...10 times.

What people do want (Me included) is a BIT of effort. Having some fights around WT at Lv20s, then some fights around ZT, ST, BC. THEN some fights in BDD/Foxes...all spread over the course of like 2 months, where you actually have a reason to buy Lv.26 weapons off people and aren't always just banged by Flamefield or TDB until later in the game.

Problem is, if you don't compensate for all 3 sets of people, then you don't get the full player base, and people also get bored that way from having no one to play with. You also have people that just don't like PvP, and play for the PvE...they also in some way contribute to the market, and item drops...it's not like we don't PK them at some point lol.
I get this but it depends on the rate.

We're planning to have level 1-80 (with 80 hard capped) which will be the equivalent of level 44ish - in terms of speed to get there.
Having a higher level gap allows it to be more consistently rewarding for your grinding

There is a lot more behind the scenes in terms of what we're doing but yeah the low levels wont be overlooked either.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah , hard to even get a good conversation about mir 3 haha

Because the whole "Zircon doesn't feel like Mir3" is the only reply we get about Mir3 lol.

Literally is the same...minus the particle effects of the spells (Which Zed introduced into his version). Zircon is smoother, runs better, more easily customisable and actually runs on modern systems, and is in every other way down to movements, spells, cast times, mobs and maps...identical.

There is literally no reason for GSP to exist at this point, much like how there is no reason for 1.4 or 1.9 to exist in Mir2.

But no one from the die hard Mir3 community seems to want to explain why exactly Zircon is so bad for them. Maybe you want the tiny resolution, flinch locking, massive UI and double charged BladeStorm to 1 hit people? Is that what makes it feel more like Mir3? Cause those were good quality of life changes that were encouraged....thing with open source, is you can literally put it back if you wanted to...maybe make a Zircon GSP?

I get this but it depends on the rate.

We're planning to have level 1-80 (with 80 hard capped) which will be the equivalent of level 44ish - in terms of speed to get there.
Having a higher level gap allows it to be more consistently rewarding for your grinding

There is a lot more behind the scenes in terms of what we're doing but yeah the low levels wont be overlooked either.

But then when it's 1-80...have you changed any of the original skill levels? As I suspect it would be 50 in a day, 50-80 being slower? So you essentially have all the skills (Such as FF and TDB) on day 1? That is boring to me lol...in Mir2, once you have those skills you are rarely given reason to use anything else :D That's why I prefer the old school progression in Mir2.

Ultimately it's also why I actually prefer Mir3 over Mir2 because of the much greater variance in skills, Mir3 you aren't just casting the same crap over and over in all caves, you do actually need to change it up at least via the elements. If planned right with changes in elements and stats, you could make something really unique.

I think we have some great servers coming out this year, which will bring a lot of variety and new angles to Mir.

Lots of us are trying to push more HD content and changing things up. I'm personally (Elite Mir) focusing on removing the GameShop and promoting a more even/fair game for everyone like the old days, without being able to swipe your card for huge boosters (GS items).

There are loads of developers working on new systems, content, kit, mobs, maps, spells.. etc.. all this will just further enhance Mir and bring a new vibe to things in my opinion.

Also the guys working on the LOMCN source are doing a lot of great things with the Supr code, hats off to them! 🍻

Honestly I think people are missing a trick with the HD content. Sanjian is on the right track I reckon, but time will tell when he releases.

I was concerned that they might have only HD'd up to a certain point, but it seems like they have done all of the content that is usually recycled in servers (With the exception of those huge crappy flashy ones that no one uses).

I honestly hope that becomes the "standard" across servers, would make them look spectacular.

Hint hint, Far...do it ;) All the lazy server owners won't do it themselves unless you change the main Crystal source haha.

Last edited:
  • Carrot
Reactions: Fusion and zedina

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Because the whole "Zircon doesn't feel like Mir3" is the only reply we get about Mir3 lol.

Literally is the same...minus the particle effects of the spells (Which Zed introduced into his version). Zircon is smoother, runs better, more easily customisable and actually runs on modern systems, and is in every other way down to movements, spells, cast times, mobs and maps...identical.

There is literally no reason for GSP to exist at this point, much like how there is no reason for 1.4 or 1.9 to exist in Mir2.

But no one from the die hard Mir3 community seems to want to explain why exactly Zircon is so bad for them. Maybe you want the tiny resolution, flinch locking, massive UI and double charged BladeStorm to 1 hit people? Is that what makes it feel more like Mir3? Cause those were good quality of life changes that were encouraged....thing with open source, is you can literally put it back if you wanted to...maybe make a Zircon GSP?

But then when it's 1-80...have you changed any of the original skill levels? As I suspect it would be 50 in a day, 50-80 being slower? So you essentially have all the skills (Such as FF and TDB) on day 1? That is boring to me lol...in Mir2, once you have those skills you are rarely given reason to use anything else :D That's why I prefer the old school progression in Mir2.

Ultimately it's also why I actually prefer Mir3 over Mir2 because of the much greater variance in skills, Mir3 you aren't just casting the same crap over and over in all caves, you do actually need to change it up at least via the elements. If planned right with changes in elements and stats, you could make something really unique.
Honestly, what I not understood from start about Zircon:

Zircon is not GSP, Zircon is Zircon made by Jamie for Jamie.

Maybe what Xzovic talks about is that there's some features and mechanics that are not on zircon but are on GSP.

Again - Zircon is not GSP, Zircon is Zircon made by Jamie for Jamie.

Which is not bad, it just requires a lot of work, look at Crystal, is a pure example of what hard work can do on a open source.

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
Honestly, what I not understood from start about Zircon:

Zircon is not GSP, Zircon is Zircon made by Jamie for Jamie.

Maybe what Xzovic talks about is that there's some features and mechanics that are not on zircon but are on GSP.

Again - Zircon is not GSP, Zircon is Zircon made by Jamie for Jamie.

Which is not bad, it just requires a lot of work, look at Crystal, is a pure example of what hard work can do on a open source.

I get that from a perspective of management of the files I guess. I mean, why would you program a certain way and change it for the sake of others :D

But at the same time...what are these features and mechanics? He quite literally, at the very start...ripped all of the Korean information, and copied it stat for stat, item for item, time for time. It was "improved" by the players later to introduced QoL stuff like an auto attack...auto pot was also somewhat adjusted, UI layouts etc.

But as I said, if it's so horrendous for them...change it back lol. But if you think people will return to that sluggish, laggy, messy crap...nope. Mir3 would be dead today if not for Zircon.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
I get that from a perspective of management of the files I guess. I mean, why would you program a certain way and change it for the sake of others :D

But at the same time...what are these features and mechanics? He quite literally, at the very start...ripped all of the Korean information, and copied it stat for stat, item for item, time for time. It was "improved" by the players later to introduced QoL stuff like an auto attack...auto pot was also somewhat adjusted, UI layouts etc.

But as I said, if it's so horrendous for them...change it back lol. But if you think people will return to that sluggish, laggy, messy crap...nope. Mir3 would be dead today if not for Zircon.

Honestly I can't pull up right now a list as during the years zen source got some additions.

For example Sabuk War - kill a sub to hold the ownership of wall ( original has a flag ), no proper Scripting (look at Crystal's script system).

I think @CheekyVimto can provide what Zircon lacks compared to Original, however its nothing critical as I said, it just takes hard work to add something good.
In my opinion, copying original is harder than being creative.

And with regards of Mir3 wouldn't be here without Zircon, is ... partly true, the other part is that Crystal can be switched to be Mir3 - again hard work but its doable if its the last resort.

Reactions: CheekyVimto